Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

That could very well be why this came apart in the first place

Perhaps he was pushing to visit and that's why she died suddenly and he found out at the end of the semester when he tried? Just thinking out loud

The timeframe doesn't add up. "She" was supposely died in September and Te'o was still tweeting his girlfried's "sister" in Thanksgiving.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The timeframe doesn't add up. "She" was supposely died in September and Te'o was still tweeting his girlfried's "sister" in Thanksgiving.

If he was planning on visiting at the end of the semester it still does add up. He'd still think that her friends and family were real. In reality some scammer would still be messing with him

I know the idea of elaborate fake relationships are weird but some people create dozens of profiles to make the stories seem more real. If it was a hoax he likely was talking to "her" friends, family, etc.... The guy that allegedly had the profile has allegedly done this to other people too.

I noticed your profile puts you as 43- ask 18 year olds about stuff like this. Sadly, for all parties involved, it's a real thing. He'd just be the most public example, if that's what happened

Edited by NoSaint

Here is what bugs me a little about this....

The press will seemingly report anything they are told and keep telling it over and over. They want a story and don't need to check anything. The girlfriend story, even the dead one isn't really a huge deal. It is sick but that's all. It's not like that guy that got arrested for bombing the Olympics in Salt Lake because a bunch of people were speculating. There have been other bad stories too like Lance Armstrong being a great hero. That crap went on for years. You don't even need to research that issue; you can tell he is a liar just by looking at him.

With Te'o though, the press really doesn't have much to lose.. It will blow over for them because they all cover for each other.

Here is what bugs me MOST about this.....

Almost every mock draft you see has the Bills taking Te'o at #8. The Bills DO have something to lose. A lot of $$$$$$ and another wasted pick. I wanted to believe this new regime was better than the old one but I guess not. They should have investigated this before deciding on Te'o. I suspect they will shy away from him now which only means they got lucky but why they had him pegged in the first place without discovering this major character flaw is amazing to me. Do you think Bellichick would have ever picked a guy like this?

If the Bills ever drafted the player that the majority of mock drafts pegged for them you'd have typed this masterful pretzel logic wearing a Haloti Ngata or Brian Orakpo jersey.

If he was planning on visiting at the end of the semester it still does add up. He'd still think that her friends and family were real. In reality some scammer would still be messing with him

I know the idea of elaborate fake relationships are weird but some people create dozens of profiles to make the stories seem more real. If it was a hoax he likely was talking to "her" friends, family, etc.... The guy that allegedly had the profile has allegedly done this to other people too.

no, it isn't normal to wait this long, at least for most people. Hey, the whole isn't normal anyway. Either way Te'o is either a big liar or too stupid, sometimes it's even worse being too stupid. pass.

no, it isn't normal to wait this long, at least for most people. Hey, the whole isn't normal anyway. Either way Te'o is either a big liar or too stupid, sometimes it's even worse being too stupid. pass.

When was a college football player and full time student athlete that also lost a family member going to disappear for a few days? I'd assume grandma was number 1 on the list of visits. Perhaps his California road trip after thanksgiving for the USC game was his chance and why in December he realized he needed to tell the school?

20 year old guys, especially ones that may have led an especially sheltered Mormon life, can do real naive stuff.

Again, if true he failed incredibly here - but 20 year old dating is far different than when you were 20 if the 43 in your profile is accurate. Kids do dumb stuff like this more often than you'd believe. It would be less strange than faking this himself, honestly.

Edited by NoSaint

Everyone is rushing to judgment on this one. We need to hear what Te'o is saying. The Notre Dame AD claims to have known about the hoax played on Te'o since December 26 and they are standing strongly behind him. His statement was broadcast on CBS Sports radio and he was asked how he was sure that the hoax was played on Te'o. He said it followed the arc of "catfishing," that they found Te'o story consistent and that the investigators found internet chatter from the perpetrators about the hoax they were pulling off.

Maybe Te'o is only guilty of being naive. He is young. Playing football at an academically challenging school he doesn't have a load of time to check things out.

Everyone is rushing to judgment on this one. We need to hear what Te'o is saying. The Notre Dame AD claims to have known about the hoax played on Te'o since December 26 and they are standing strongly behind him. His statement was broadcast on CBS Sports radio and he was asked how he was sure that the hoax was played on Te'o. He said it followed the arc of "catfishing," that they found Te'o story consistent and that the investigators found internet chatter from the perpetrators about the hoax they were pulling off.

Maybe Te'o is only guilty of being naive. He is young. Playing football at an academically challenging school he doesn't have a load of time to check things out.

In fact it's come out that the guy in the deadspin article has done this to other people but that its typically fallen apart quicker. Which if true might mean teo simply might've lied about passing his number at a Stanford game instead of saying he replied to a random girl sending him a Facebook message (or something like that) and him falling for "her"

Edited by NoSaint

When was a college football player and full time student athlete that also lost a family member going to disappear for a few days? I'd assume grandma was number 1 on the list of visits. Perhaps his California road trip after thanksgiving for the USC game was his chance and why in December he realized he needed to tell the school?

20 year old guys, especially ones that may have led an especially sheltered Mormon life, can do real naive stuff.

You make one assumption after one assumption after one assumption after one assumption just to make it even possible that Te'o is a victim. Just see your own posts, sometimes it's ok to let go. There are many more things don't add up, like he never asks for the photo of her funeral, grave, etc....., that's 3, almost 4, months between "her" death and he "supposely" informed school. just think out loud!

Edited by syhuang

In the interview with Gene Wojewski(sp) he claimed she is the most beautiful girl he's ever met. I guess now he never met her. If he is telling the truth he is going to need to provide some proof that he spoke to someone for hours on end and text messages.

Yes. Te'o does need to provide proof that he was the victim of a hoax.

His reputation is taking a huge hit here. He's gonna lose millions of dollars for playing football and endorsements. It's not plausible to me that if he was a victim, that he wouldn't prosecute those who victimized him. But even if he doesn't prosecute them, he has to clear his own name. Things like phone records, flower receipts, and emails, would be all that's needed to prove that he was the victim and not the perpetrator.

At the very least, if he can't provide proof to clear his name, you can bet he's lying.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/11/10/through-grief-linebacker-manti-leads-notre-dame/wfFqrlVFAk8p3kvwPAqgPN/story.html

“So every morning when I wake up and my girlfriend is not on the phone it reminds me that she’s gone. That’s the hardest part for me. I go through it every day.”

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100412aaa.html

"Yeah, it was definitely hard. That has to be the hardest thing that I've had to do so far; to be able to operate, and to be able to try to continue with my daily routine, but knowing that I just lost two women that I truly loved. That was the hardest thing. And the other hardest thing was my girlfriend's service was the day of Michigan's game. And I remember when I found out I knew when they were going to close the casket and all that stuff, and it was during walk thru. And I remember I asked Coach Diaco, "Coach, what time is it?" And he said, "It's 12:01." And that would be 9:00, 9:01, California time and 9:00 is when they closed the casket for my girlfriend, so I had a moment then.

You know, I really wanted to see her. I really wanted to see her. But I knew that she made me promise, you know one day she made me promise that, she said, "Babe, if anything happens to me, you promise that you'll still stay over there and that you'll play and that you'll honor me through the way you play, and know that I would rather have you there." And just make sure that all she wanted was some white roses. White is her favorite color. So she just wanted some white roses and that's all she asked for. So I sent her roses and sent her two picks (interceptions) along with that, so that was good."

Receipts please.

Maybe some proof that you actually believed that "your girlfriend (Manti's words said on numerous recorded occasions) had passed away?

No no no. First of all, hes talked openly about meeting her in person, which of course he never did. Also, even if he had and he really considered her his girlfriend, dont you think when she died if he would have gone to her funeral? Kinda seems something a boyfriend would do.

exactly, or when she was in coma and fighting cancer, he would at least visit her in hospital, at least once?

Te'o claims that he promised Lennay that he would not attend the funeral and would simply send her white roses. Where did he send the roses? How would he know the address of a funeral that never happened?

Also, why in November was Te'o deleting tweets he made to his girlfriend Lennay sister's twitter account?

This doesn't add up at all.

It's easy Manti.

Where are the phone records, the emails, the gifts on birthdays and special occasions that you sent "your girlfriend" who is "the most beautiful person you ever met?"

As I said above, if he doesn't provide proof to clear his name, then what conclusion would any reasonable person draw?

You make one assumption after one assumption after one assumption after one assumption just to make it even possible that Te'o is a victim. Just see your own posts, sometimes it's ok to let go. There are many most things doesn't add up, like he never asks for the photo of her funeral, grave, etc....., that's 3, almost 4, months between "her" death and he "supposely" informed school. just think out loud!

Yes because I think your vantage point is incredibly out of touch with what 19 year olds with the Internet get themselves into these days. It's not just possible, it happens with alarming frequency.

Guys (or girls) think they found someone awesome, and start ignoring the lies, inconsistencies, they lie a bit to friends to cover stuff up because they don't want to believe its fake or get made fun of... The only assumption you have to make is that he bought someone's lie - from there the rest can fall into place pretty quickly.

Ill also point out the guy that's allegedly atleast partially behind the profile did this to other people.

When I was 20, I was trying to have a long distance relationship with a girl from Florida. Needless to say, it didn't work out.

I finally met the love of my life at 28, and we've been together ever since. Fifteen years.

When I was 20, I was horny as hell and just wanted to say that I had a girlfriend.

Maybe that was Manti's problem. Between classes and football at Notre Dame, and all the media demands, he probably didn't have a whole lot of time to date.

Yes. Te'o does need to provide proof that he was the victim of a hoax.

His reputation is taking a huge hit here. He's gonna lose millions of dollars for playing football and endorsements. It's not plausible to me that if he was a victim, that he wouldn't prosecute those who victimized him. But even if he doesn't prosecute them, he has to clear his own name. Things like phone records, flower receipts, and emails, would be all that's needed to prove that he was the victim and not the perpetrator.

At the very least, if he can't provide proof to clear his name, you can bet he's lying.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/11/10/through-grief-linebacker-manti-leads-notre-dame/wfFqrlVFAk8p3kvwPAqgPN/story.html

“So every morning when I wake up and my girlfriend is not on the phone it reminds me that she’s gone. That’s the hardest part for me. I go through it every day.”

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100412aaa.html

"Yeah, it was definitely hard. That has to be the hardest thing that I've had to do so far; to be able to operate, and to be able to try to continue with my daily routine, but knowing that I just lost two women that I truly loved. That was the hardest thing. And the other hardest thing was my girlfriend's service was the day of Michigan's game. And I remember when I found out I knew when they were going to close the casket and all that stuff, and it was during walk thru. And I remember I asked Coach Diaco, "Coach, what time is it?" And he said, "It's 12:01." And that would be 9:00, 9:01, California time and 9:00 is when they closed the casket for my girlfriend, so I had a moment then.

You know, I really wanted to see her. I really wanted to see her. But I knew that she made me promise, you know one day she made me promise that, she said, "Babe, if anything happens to me, you promise that you'll still stay over there and that you'll play and that you'll honor me through the way you play, and know that I would rather have you there." And just make sure that all she wanted was some white roses. White is her favorite color. So she just wanted some white roses and that's all she asked for. So I sent her roses and sent her two picks (interceptions) along with that, so that was good."

Receipts please.

Maybe some proof that you actually believed that "your girlfriend (Manti's words said on numerous recorded occasions) had passed away?

Te'o claims that he promised Lennay that he would not attend the funeral and would simply send her white roses. Where did he send the roses? How would he know the address of a funeral that never happened?

Also, why in November was Te'o deleting tweets he made to his girlfriend Lennay sister's twitter account?

This doesn't add up at all.

It's easy Manti.

Where are the phone records, the emails, the gifts on birthdays and special occasions that you sent "your girlfriend" who is "the most beautiful person you ever met?"

As I said above, if he doesn't provide proof to clear his name, then what conclusion would any reasonable person draw?

Think the notre dame investigators are covering for him, or just didnt ask any of that in the last month?

What do you make of this quote from an ESPN article? This guy from the Cardinals is either lying to protect him or he's nuts, too.

Things just get curiouser and curiouser.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8851033/story-manti-teo-girlfriend-death-apparently-hoax

Reagan Mauia, an Arizona Cardinals fullback, said he believes Kekua existed because he met her in person when he and other Polynesian teammates and Pittsburgh Steelers starTroy Polamalu went to do charity work in American Samoa in June 2011. "This was before her and Manti," Mauia said Wednesday evening. "I don't think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends. We would talk off and on, just checking up on each other kind of thing. I am close to her family. When she was going through the loss of her father, I was -- I offered a comforting shoulder and just someone to bounce her emotions off. That was just from meeting her in Samoa." Mauia said Tuiasosopo -- whom Mauia believes is Kekua's cousin -- introduced the two. After the initial meeting, Mauia said he met her at an "after-party" for all of the athletes involved in the camp. "She was tall," he said. "Volleyball-type of physique. She was athletic, tall, beautiful. Long hair. Polynesian. She looked like a model ... " He said it is his understanding that Kekua's mother is operating her Twitter account. He said he'd never met her mother. When told by a reporter that she apparently might not have existed, Mauia said "No, she is real."

Also, what family members of Lennay's did Manti speak with?

Who informed him of her passing? Who told him that she would breathe more quickly when she heard his voice?

Who told him of the funeral arrangements?

Where are all these correspondences?

All it would take is 2 voices, and a variety of online chatter

Think the notre dame investigators are covering for him, or just didnt ask any of that in the last month?

They're covering for him so that when the truth comes out they can plead ignorance and distance themselves. It's PR 101. Russ Brandon learned that back in college at Syracuse.

Te'o is still worthy at 8! This news will blow over in a few hours...

He was never worthy of #8 overall...Not yet at least...He's yet to run...Not a single workout...Before this I figured he could go anywhere from 10-50 depending on the next few Months...

And it will be longer than a few hours unless he completely squashes it with proof he was hoaxed... B-)