Tyrann "Honey Badger" Mathieu - CB - LSU

dbflaBill

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If any of you are delusional enough to think he will last to the 4th round, then think again...This kid is a top 10 talent in this draft, and is off field troubles are not of the Pacman Jones type. And smoking weed is hardly a big deal in terms of people citing "drug use". This is not like when Mallet was rumored to allegedly be messing around with heavy narcotics at campus parties.

There isnt one scout in the NFL that believes hes a top 10 talent. Hes undersized with suspect cover skills. At best before his off the field problems he was a 2nd round pick. Saying he is a top 10 talent shows you cant possibly know anything about football? He has never been projected as a number 1/2 corner. But a nickel PR/KR, which really makes him a 3rd rounder.

Lets not lie, the honey badger has no interest in coming to buffalo. He has his eyes set on the Broncos.

If he gets Drafted by the Bills he has got no choice but to come here, unless he want to sit out another & by that time nobody is gonna want him , he would be so far behind in learning the NFL Game

Edited by Hater

If he gets Drafted by the Bills he has got a choice but to come here, unless he want to sit out another & by that time nobody is gonna want him , he would be so far behind in learning the NFL Game

clearly was a "legal to smoke in colorado" joke

no one thinks hes forcing his way to the broncos.

Edited by NoSaint

If any of you are delusional enough to think he will last to the 4th round, then think again...This kid is a top 10 talent in this draft, and is off field troubles are not of the Pacman Jones type. And smoking weed is hardly a big deal in terms of people citing "drug use". This is not like when Mallet was rumored to allegedly be messing around with heavy narcotics at campus parties.

There isnt one scout in the NFL that believes hes a top 10 talent. Hes undersized with suspect cover skills. At best before his off the field problems he was a 2nd round pick. Saying he is a top 10 talent shows you cant possibly know anything about football? He has never been projected as a number 1/2 corner. But a nickel PR/KR, which really makes him a 3rd rounder.

LOL...before you start professing things you think are true and claiming others have no idea about football because you think otherwise, try google. There are lots of stories and publications out there talking about his draft stock and talent ranking him as a potential top 15 pick before his issues. There are also stories of guys questioning how his game will transition because of his size and projecting him in the 2nd before his troubles. There is a mixed bag of opinions on him, but even his biggest critics still felt he was a top 60 prospect. If you don't think he is top prospect talent wise, then fine...doesn't mean you don't know anything about football. But its pretty stupid for you to say I don't know anything about football because I share a different opinion of his talents along with a lot of other people.

And I said he is a top 10 talent...not a top 10 pick...there is a big difference. His size was going to prevent him from going that high. There are several sites and stories talking about him as a potential top 15 pick before his off field issues, but I think he was more of a mid to late first round prospect because of his size. Talent wise though, I feel he is one of the more talented players coming out in this draft, the kid is electric. IMO, I do think that come draft time (assuming he has no more off field issues between now and then) his off field rep will have had some improvement based on all the steps he has taken upon himself to get his path straightened out. So I can still see a team like a Baltimore or NE taking a chance on this kid at the end of the first or someone grabbing him in the 2nd, especially since he is a ST star too adding to his value, and some are talking about him even being an intriguing FS prospect. And lets not forget that covering the slot has become a critical part of every defense and this kid could be of high value there where being taller isn't as important as covering the outside as the guys they cover typically are not as big.

Personally, I would love to see the Bills grab Teo at 8, then Nassib or another QB prospect in the 2nd, and this kid in the 3rd. Gilmore and Brooks start, and this kid can work his way into the slot where you don't have to be as big. I just don't think he will last past the 2nd or 3rd round and could potentially still go in the first. All of that assumes he has a great combine, which I think he will, and also keeps his rep clean and continues to repair it the way he has recently. The combine is going to be huge for him having not played this year, and that will come down to what condition he is in. From what I have read though, it sounds like he is working hard and I expect him to be at or near his best at the combine which should really help his draft stock. I think the Bills should look at him in the 2nd or 3rd (3rd would be a huge value and a steal) because we need help, especially covering the slot, in our secondary just simply on the fact we play NE twice a year. Outside of Brooks and Gilmore the rest of our DB's are highly suspect and can't cover the slot to save their jobs.

Here are a couple of quotes followed by a link to another story.

- Initially projected as a first-round talent, Mathieu’s draft took a potential plunge after the star defender and punt returner was dismissed from the arrest on simple marijuana possession.

- NFLDraftScout.com has since spoken to several league sources who gave Mathieu a first round grade.

http://tommeltonscou...couting-report/

So, I guess a lot of people must not know anything about football because I am not the only person that felt he was a first round pick prior to the issues.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Get some...sour cream and onion chips, with some dip, man. Some beef jerkey, some peanut butter. Get some Hagen-Dagz ice-cream bars. A whole lotta of chocolate. Gotta have chocolate, man. Some popcorn, pink popcorn. GRAHAM CRACKERS!!! Graham crackers with the marshmallows. Little marshmallows with little chocolate bars and we'll make some s'mores man. Celery, grape jelly, Captain Crunch with the little crunch berries, pizzas, we need two big pizzas, man, everything on 'em, water, a whole lotta water and.......Funyuns.

YEA FUNYUNS MANNNNN!

who doesn't blaze a little or a lot in college? non issue for me ricky williams was blazed and ran all day every day.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

He's shorter than Jenkins or smith, weighs a chunk less, anticipated to run a slower 40 - many don't think he even matches up to corner at the next level and project him to safety. He was never an "island" type player at lsu even

At 5'9 and a 4.5+ anticipated 40 he wasn't a top end corner prospect. He will have to come out absolutely on fire at his workouts to be viewed in that light.

finally! someone who remembers that he wasnt a top tier prospect. he had a cool name and dumb hair and people bought in to his hype. there was plenty of talk about him being a midlevel draft pick. not a first rounder. he was small undersized and slower than most DBs.

finally! someone who remembers that he wasnt a top tier prospect. he had a cool name and dumb hair and people bought in to his hype. there was plenty of talk about him being a midlevel draft pick. not a first rounder. he was small undersized and slower than most DBs.

And there are plenty of people who disagreed with that and feel he is a top prospect. 2 sides to that fence. And his speed is a lot better than people in this thread seem to think. He ran a 4.39 forty...whether he can still do that being away from football will be seen at the combine, but the kid has more than enough speed.

And there are plenty of people who disagreed with that and feel he is a top prospect. 2 sides to that fence. And his speed is a lot better than people in this thread seem to think. He ran a 4.39 forty...whether he can still do that being away from football will be seen at the combine, but the kid has more than enough speed.

are these the same people that thought Teo was a possibility at #1 because of his heisman consideration?

bleacher and wiki answers are the only two spots ive seen the 4.39 - if you can find sourcing on that id be receptive for sure.

i was pulling my number (the 4.62 as a recruit from st aug) off scouts inc. The 4.5 range is the quickest ive found documented at LSU since then (i believe it was 4.54 to be exact).

Edited by NoSaint

are these the same people that thought Teo was a possibility at #1 because of his heisman consideration?

bleacher and wiki answers are the only two spots ive seen the 4.39 - if you can find sourcing on that id be receptive for sure.

i was pulling my number (the 4.62 as a recruit from st aug) off scouts inc. The 4.5 range is the quickest ive found documented at LSU since then (i believe it was 4.54 to be exact).

I just googled his forty speed time and it said 4.39, but I also read in some scouting reports 4.39 and 4.41 which are both plenty fast. I have also seen other claims of the mid 4's, so seems to be a lack of consensus on what it really is. None of that matters of course, what will matter is what he runs at the combine. But all the scouting reports I have read cite is exceptional athleticism, speed, agility, lateral quickness, etc as all major pluses that offset his height. But like I said, none of the old reports matter, what matters is what he does at the combine. If he runs a near 5 he will fall to at least the 3rd or 4th then, if he runs near or at 4.1 then I think he still could go in the late first or 2nd assuming the rest of his combine is strong and his off field stuff keeps improving.

And I dont know if they are the same people who felt Teo could go in top 5 (and he still might) or not. I am referencing reports prior to his departure from LSU. Who knows where he would be ranked had he played this year, but prior to that he was being billed pretty consistently as a first round player.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I just googled his forty speed time and it said 4.39, but I also read in some scouting reports 4.39 and 4.41 which are both plenty fast. I have also seen other claims of the mid 4's, so seems to be a lack of consensus on what it really is. None of that matters of course, what will matter is what he runs at the combine. But all the scouting reports I have read cite is exceptional athleticism, speed, agility, lateral quickness, etc as all major pluses that offset his height. But like I said, none of the old reports matter, what matters is what he does at the combine. If he runs a near 5 he will fall to at least the 3rd or 4th then, if he runs near or at 4.1 then I think he still could go in the late first or 2nd assuming the rest of his combine is strong and his off field stuff keeps improving.

And I dont know if they are the same people who felt Teo could go in top 5 (and he still might) or not. I am referencing reports prior to his departure from LSU. Who knows where he would be ranked had he played this year, but prior to that he was being billed pretty consistently as a first round player.

i dont doubt that he had first round potential, i was just taking issue with the idea that he was a top 5-10 pick. i dont think he ever was in that class.

and both of my times were documented runs, thats why i wasnt sure about the 4.39 as a lot of sites and reports just throw out projections or junk. the 4.62 was a couple years ago and hes certainly grown as an athlete but i dont think hes gone from mediocre corner speed for a freshman to elite corner speed in that time. he may light it up at the combine but as you said, we will see.

i also think as i mentioned up thread that the average fan doesnt grasp the troubles he actually has going on around him or what is meant by him needing to get away from new orleans. this isnt just a matter of he got caught smoking a few times.

i just used teo as an example of an exciting defensive player getting highly overrated by fans. still a good player, still a first round talent potentially, but not that top 5 type of guy because of physical limitations that people were ignoring while watching highlight reels. unfortunately, the debate wont ever be settled with honey badger as we will never know where hed go without the baggage because the baggage is there and the baggage is huge - so its all an excerise in discussing a guy that doesnt really exist when we try to project him. i certainly cant say you are wrong, but he has a lot of on field strikes against him and those top half of the first round corners are normally prototype cover corners which i am confident saying he doesnt fit the mold of

Edited by NoSaint

i dont doubt that he had first round potential, i was just taking issue with the idea that he was a top 5-10 pick. i dont think he ever was in that class.

and both of my times were documented runs, thats why i wasnt sure about the 4.39 as a lot of sites and reports just throw out projections or junk. the 4.62 was a couple years ago and hes certainly grown as an athlete but i dont think hes gone from mediocre corner speed for a freshman to elite corner speed in that time. he may light it up at the combine but as you said, we will see.

i also think as i mentioned up thread that the average fan doesnt grasp the troubles he actually has going on around him or what is meant by him needing to get away from new orleans. this isnt just a matter of he got caught smoking a few times.

i just used teo as an example of an exciting defensive player getting highly overrated by fans. still a good player, still a first round talent potentially, but not that top 5 type of guy because of physical limitations that people were ignoring while watching highlight reels. unfortunately, the debate wont ever be settled with honey badger as we will never know where hed go without the baggage because the baggage is there and the baggage is huge - so its all an excerise in discussing a guy that doesnt really exist when we try to project him. i certainly cant say you are wrong, but he has a lot of on field strikes against him and those top half of the first round corners are normally prototype cover corners which i am confident saying he doesnt fit the mold of

I hear ya, and I never said he was a top 5-10 pick, I said top 10 talent. I said there were projections before his troubles that he could be a top 15 pick, but that was not my personal opinion on where I thought his draft slot potential was. For me, his height would prevent him from ever going that high, but I did feel he was a mid to late first rounder and could still go there if he shines at the combine and keeps repairing his rep the way he reportedly is. I personally think he could be a high potential guy to own the slot in the NFL, a position of greater and greater need every year in the NFL, especially on our team where we play Cover No One in the slot.

I hear ya, and I never said he was a top 5-10 pick, I said top 10 talent. I said there were projections before his troubles that he could be a top 15 pick, but that was not my personal opinion on where I thought his draft slot potential was. For me, his height would prevent him from ever going that high, but I did feel he was a mid to late first rounder and could still go there if he shines at the combine and keeps repairing his rep the way he reportedly is. I personally think he could be a high potential guy to own the slot in the NFL, a position of greater and greater need every year in the NFL, especially on our team where we play Cover No One in the slot.

fair enough - some of the messiness of having an open conversation and a lot of opinions chiming in is that we address things that the other person wasnt directly saying themselves but was part of the wider conversation. ill agree he was likely a late one, or more likely an early 2 if i were forced to guess.

Get some...sour cream and onion chips, with some dip, man. Some beef jerkey, some peanut butter. Get some Hagen-Dagz ice-cream bars. A whole lotta of chocolate. Gotta have chocolate, man. Some popcorn, pink popcorn. GRAHAM CRACKERS!!! Graham crackers with the marshmallows. Little marshmallows with little chocolate bars and we'll make some s'mores man. Celery, grape jelly, Captain Crunch with the little crunch berries, pizzas, we need two big pizzas, man, everything on 'em, water, a whole lotta water and.......Funyuns.

YEA FUNYUNS MANNNNN!

who doesn't blaze a little or a lot in college? non issue for me ricky williams was blazed and ran all day every day.

I was a Munchos guy myself. Funyuns gave you stank breath. No chance of getting with a lady after eating them,

You guys are crazy. He was the #3 pick in the draft if he could have come out last year. I still believe he is going to end up as a first round pick despite the issues. Gamechangers get picked in the first round and that's what he is. He played in the SEC and flat out dominated the best competition on defense and special teams. If we are lucky enough to get him, he instantly starts for us and becomes one of our best players on defense.