Bills hire Nathaniel Hackett for Offensive Coordinator

cmjoyce113

I'm saying that's what they are reporting. I'm not saying its true

The Quality Control Coach talk is coming from his still existent profile on the Bills website from when he held that position for 2 seasons in the past.

The QB Coach talk is speculative because it would make more sense... and be more palatable and reassuring to most of us.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In his introductory press conference Marrone stated:

"Obviously, with the coordinators, we want people that have thorough NFL experience, as far as especially on the defensive side of the ball. Offensively, we want people with NFL experience. For our coordinators, we want to make sure they've been in this league."

I'm thinking that Hackett won't be OC but you never know.

Is it possible he wanted the HC Position at Syracuse and when he did not get it he decided to follow Marrone. Similar to when Harbaugh left Stanford, Vic Fangio waited to see if he or David Shaw would be named Stanford's HC. Shaw got the job and Fangio went to SF to be the DC.

Maybe I'm more hoping than thinking.

Common sense says not OC. No names rumored at OC while we have several at DC: maybe this is OC.

Is it possible he wanted the HC Position at Syracuse and when he did not get it he decided to follow Marrone. Similar to when Harbaugh left Stanford, Vic Fangio waited to see if he or David Shaw would be named Stanford's HC. Shaw got the job and Fangio went to SF to be the DC.

Rumors he was staying were after Schafer was announced. Current rumors are he's got an offer but not finalized, so it's a bit of a square peg in a round hole so far for that example but we may learn otherwise later.

In his introductory press conference Marrone stated:

"Obviously, with the coordinators, we want people that have thorough NFL experience, as far as especially on the defensive side of the ball. Offensively, we want people with NFL experience. For our coordinators, we want to make sure they've been in this league."

I'm thinking that Hackett won't be OC but you never know.

That quote would support Hackett and his four years of NFL service.

I'm afraid that may be correct, but 4 years in the NFL as an Offensive Quality Control coach isn't much of anything. Editing game film and punching holes in the playbook sheets are typical duties for the position. He acquitted himself fairly well as OC in Syracuse, but it is the Big East. Calling plays in the NFL I'm afraid he'd be Not Ready For Prime-Time.

The "thorough NFL experience" part wouldn't but the rest of it certainly would.

I thought Marrone also said something about the NFL being a very hard place to compete in if you don't have strong experience.

Like I said, I'm hoping the young Hackett is not being tabbed for OC but it certainly is possible.

I'll call it, Asst Coach/passing game coordinator/Sabremetrician. Carmichael will be OC. God forbid we should have decent underlings to good coordinators for a change.

Once we request an interview ill be more solid on that. I'm very hopeful but it's been fairly quiet. Might be partially connected to the saints odd situation though

I thought Marrone also said something about the NFL being a very hard place to compete in if you don't have strong experience.

Like I said, I'm hoping the young Hackett is not being tabbed for OC but it certainly is possible.

Adding a qb coach without an OC would be odd, unless OC was in the pipeline but being delayed.

Perhaps it's splitting hairs, but "thorough NFL experience" was in reference to the defense--- when speaking specifically about the offense, he only added "Offensively, we want people with NFL experience. For our coordinators, we want to make sure they've been in this league".

Maybe I'm just anxious and reading too much into it, but "having been in this league" is pretty much the best that can be said for Hackett.

I can see the headlines now when he's canned in a year or two like George Edwards: "Hackett can't Hack it".

Edited by Punch

If any of this is true then we can probably expect to have Nassib as our new QB ..

Tough to say probable, after all there are many teams looking for a QB. I'd say if the Bills are serious about getting a QB, they are going to have to come back into the late first round to pass all those teams ahead of us. The ones that will pass on a QB with their first round pick.

Perhaps it's splitting hairs, but "thorough NFL experience" was in reference to the defense--- when speaking specifically about the offense, he only added "Offensively, we want people with NFL experience. For our coordinators, we want to make sure they've been in this league".

Maybe I'm just anxious and reading too much into it, but "having been in this league" is pretty much the best that can be said for Hackett.

I can see the headlines now when he's canned in a year or two like George Edwards: "Hackett can't Hack it".

And that's why I said "the rest of it certainly would."

Confirmed

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham

The Buffalo News has confirmed Syracuse offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett is joining Doug Marrone with the Bills

Expand

Confirmed. But in what position?