Which Way Will D Go ?

T master

Yay, another thread talking about the fear of going back to a 3-4!!! This, despite the fact our new D coordinator coached a team that shows multiple looks and variations on the 46 defense all the time!

Posters on here are obsessed with the 3-4 4-3 thing like it's some thing you are drafting and hiring for years to become one or the other. Yet I see teams switch from 4-3 to 3-4 to I don't know what on a single series of downs all the time.

I think I read somewhere that the Jets actually ran the 3-4 less than 50% of the time. As others have said - and he has said - he'll use multiple fronts.

Pettine has been very vocal in explaining that he'll mix things up and try to fit the scheme to the players and not vice-versa. Considering coaches tend to only get 3 years or less to make a difference, you really don't have time to find players to fit a scheme.

Another thing I like about Pettine is that he likes to be aggressive. Wanny's D tended to be passive and predictable. Pettine has no intention of being either.

Pettine and Marrone are an interesting coaching combo. They've both been very successful as coordinators. Pettine's D was in the Top 10 four years in a row. Marrone's O was in the Top 3 three years in a row when he was at New Orleans. But both played in the shadows of dominant head coaches. Pettine worked for a defensive head coach and Marrone worked for an offensive head coach so it's hard to know how much credit they deserve. I guess we'll find out.

Kinda hoping they stay 4-3. 3 years ago they attempted to go 3-4, got rid of personnel that didn't fit, drafted for that defense and it bombed. 1 year ago they switched back, changed some personnel again for the 4-3, and invested heavily in the personnel for the D-Line. The biggest reason besided the money that Mario isn't still in Houston was because he wasn't a fit for the 3-4 linebacker, and didn't want to play it. Not bad if they show some 3-4 on occasion but they need to stay with their base defense being the 4-3.

Kinda hoping they stay 4-3. 3 years ago they attempted to go 3-4, got rid of personnel that didn't fit, drafted for that defense and it bombed. 1 year ago they switched back, changed some personnel again for the 4-3, and invested heavily in the personnel for the D-Line. The biggest reason besided the money that Mario isn't still in Houston was because he wasn't a fit for the 3-4 linebacker, and didn't want to play it. Not bad if they show some 3-4 on occasion but they need to stay with their base defense being the 4-3.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Maybe this will end it. Per the Buffalo News...

In a release from the team, Pettine addressed the question of a 3-4 vs. 4-3 defense.

“The answer is really yes to both,” Pettine said. “We’ll be a multiple front, multiple coverage defense. The trademark of our defense is we’re going to be smart, tough and relentless. How we configure it is more player-driven. I’ve always believed that you don’t fit your players to your scheme, but you fit your scheme to your players.”

“What I see here is a group of explosive athletes and playmakers and we’re going to put them in a position to do just that,” Pettine said. “We’re going to be in the configuration that gives us the best opportunity to win football games.”

I think the whole thing is predicated on solid NT depth. IF Troup comes back and they can draft a monster true NT than maybe. If not than forget it. We will get killed.

I'm in the camp that the whole 3-4 vs. 4-3 conversation is overrated, however, I would hate to use any sort of early round pick on an interior lineman when we already have three good ones. Also, Troup? Who's that?

Sorry eball.

I tried avoiding this one too but there are too many people not seeing this clearly and it's starting to drive me crazy.

1) As numerous posters have pointed out, Pettine has explicitly stated that the Bills will be playing a 3-4 AND a 4-3. Just like many teams do these days.

2) Numerous teams have successfully made the change from 4-3 to 3-4 in one offseason. Atlanta, Houston and Green Bay have all recently done it. Denver recently went from a 3-4 to a 4-3 successfully in one offseason.

3) Mario Williams played in a 3-4 defense in 2011. He had 5 sacks in 5 games. Houston let him go because they didn't want to pay him $100 million, NOT because he didn't fit their defense.

Sorry eball.

I tried avoiding this one too but there are too many people not seeing this clearly and it's starting to drive me crazy.

1) As numerous posters have pointed out, Pettine has explicitly stated that the Bills will be playing a 3-4 AND a 4-3. Just like many teams do these days.

2) Numerous teams have successfully made the change from 4-3 to 3-4 in one offseason. series of downs Atlanta, Houston and Green Bay have all recently done it. Denver recently went from a 3-4 to a 4-3 successfully in one offseason.

3) Mario Williams played in a 3-4 defense in 2011. He had 5 sacks in 5 games. Houston let him go because they didn't want to pay him $100 million, NOT because he didn't fit their defense.

Fixed for the real world. There is a odd obsession with this 4-3 3-4 thing around here like players are picked at birth to be one or the other and would be stumbling retards in the other scheme.

Fixed for the real world. There is a odd obsession with this 4-3 3-4 thing around here like players are picked at birth to be one or the other and would be stumbling retards in the other scheme.

This discussion reminds me of the scene in Pulp Fiction where they called the Wolf (Harvey Keitel) after shooting that kid in the face. (The Bonnie situation)

Are you a oak man? You look like an oak man. Here's a $1000 and get a new bedroom set

Substitute oak for the 3 - 4

Are you a 3 -4 man? You look like a 3 - 4 man. Here's a $1000 and get a new defense.

Sorry eball.

2) Numerous teams have successfully made the change from 4-3 to 3-4 in one offseason. Atlanta, Houston and Green Bay have all recently done it. Denver recently went from a 3-4 to a 4-3 successfully in one offseason.

Thank you! I don't know why this is such a big topic for some people. Look at offenses in the league. In the same game they often play 2 rbs, 1 rb, 2 TEs, 0 TEs, 2 WRs, 3 WRs and sometimes 4 WRs. They also have the QB under C and in the shotgun, sometimes they even run a wild-cat with 0 QBs.

If an offense can play that many different sets in the same game, why is it so hard to believe that a defense can play multiple sets in a game?

Time to be aware of Nix's program. Draft the best player available- period. So the D will be what it is with the people we have plus a couple raw rookies. Its all about how you use them. Our O and Def. was so predictable it was sad. We know what we need. I can't believe they will be game changers the first year drafted. Use what we have and hope for a free agent LB. Thats our biggest area of concern on D. Now lets beat up the offense .