What should the Bills do at #8?

Never thought I would be saying this, but the Bills are strong at OT. Otoh, if they lose Levitre (likely imo), OG will not be as strong.

That said, Chance Warmack is the best guard I have seen coming out of college since Steve Hutchinson. The man is an agile monster, who plays LG in a pro-style offense.

I still hope that they find a qb who they deem worthy of the #8. If not, they could more than likely move back a few spots and grab Warmack, who has the potential to be truly great. What do I think they will do? Yep, Dee Milliner. :wallbash:

Warmack is a good player, and would be a good addition to the Bills' war machine.

Even so, I'm uncomfortable with this idea on several levels.

1) In the past, I've criticized the Bills' front office for letting the Bills' best DBs go first-contract-and-out, only to use first round picks on their replacements. Letting Levitre go first-contract-and-out, and using a first round pick on his replacement, seems like more of the same--except at a different position.

2) The Bills have needs at premium positions, such as QB, DE, and (I hate to say this) CB. I'd like to see the Bills' first round pick used to obtain a very good player at a premium position--ideally quarterback. You can get really good offensive guards in the second round. Levitre himself was a second round pick.

The Bills need to re-sign Levitre and Byrd--ideally well before the draft. Then at #8, they need to think long and hard about whether a guy like Glennon or Nassib can be the long-term answer at QB. The kind of guy who will play at or near a franchise level. If they feel a reasonable comfort level with a QB, they should take him at #8. Even if he's not "supposed" to be taken in the top 10. If there isn't an opportunity for the Bills to solve their QB problems in this draft, they should instead look at DEs, CBs, and perhaps WRs.

Edit: I do not like the idea of taking a LB in the top-10, unless he's going to be another Bryce Paup. By that I mean a 3-4 LB who's going to be asked to rush the passer on a lot of downs. I would be comfortable using a top-10 pick on a Ted Washington type player.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never thought I would be saying this, but the Bills are strong at OT. Otoh, if they lose Levitre (likely imo), OG will not be as strong.

That said, Chance Warmack is the best guard I have seen coming out of college since Steve Hutchinson. The man is an agile monster, who plays LG in a pro-style offense I still hope that they find a qb who they deem worthy of the #8. If not, they could more than likely move back a few spots and grab Warmack, who has the potential to be truly great. What do I think they will do? Yep, Dee Milliner. :wallbash:.

You are not the same Bill from NYC that I once knew. Maybe it's just you being spell binded by your beloved Crimson Tide?

The priority for this new regime is to secure the best qb they can with their first pick. I don't mind Buddy being involved in the scouting. I do strenuously object having him make the draft selections. At this time I'm leaning towards Tyler Wilson. But I'm open to other qb options as the evaluation process moves forward.

You are not the same Bill from NYC that I once knew. Maybe it's just you being spell binded by your beloved Crimson Tide?

The priority for this new regime is to secure the best qb they can with their first pick. I don't mind Buddy being involved in the scouting. I do strenuously object having him make the draft selections. At this time I'm leaning towards Tyler Wilson. But I'm open to other qb options as the evaluation process moves forward.

I think if we get to Draft Day and we see The Bills Trade down once, or even twice, then secure a QB with their 1st Pick...Only then will I believe Buddy is no longer in charge...Because I believe strongly there is no way in Hades Buddy would ever Trade down in the 1st Round...Ever... :D

I think we are in agreement. The only difference is: I'm open to the possibility that a franchise QB may not be in this draft. Then what?

I agree there may not be franchise QB, until you draft a QB who you think has potential and give him a shot we will never know if he is All Pro or not.

I think if we get to Draft Day and we see The Bills Trade down once, or even twice, then secure a QB with their 1st Pick...Only then will I believe Buddy is no longer in charge...Because I believe strongly there is no way in Hades Buddy would ever Trade down in the 1st Round...Ever... :D

I suspect that Buddy understands that after this draft the organization is moving on without him or with him in a very diminished capacity. He has stated on more than a couple of occasions that he doesn't want to leave without securing a franchise qb for this organization. He has also made comments that he belatedly understands that if you want to draft a qb then you will have to draft earlier in the rounds than their rankings might suggest.

My problem with Buddy has little to do with his three first round picks. They were solid and reasonable selections. When you are drafting early that shouldn't be considered a major accomplishment. My problem with him is his body of work. It is simply mediocre.

As the 2nd posted stated we need an impact player. Drafting a tackle to me doesn't do that as we have what looks to be a very good LT in Glenn and RT isn't terrible by no means prior to injury. Assuming the Bills resign AL, you don't need five all-pros on the line. In fact getting five all-pros on O-line likely is at the loss of improving another position line LB. Put that much effort on O-line and other areas will suffer.

Here's one question I'd throw out, someone else posted this a couple weeks back, if you could get a 1st and 2nd rounder for CJ Spiller, would you trade him? CJ likely is one of the top five most exciting offense players in the league and I do think with better coaching and usage, will even be better, but seeing the RB from the Redskins, believe he was 5th round pick run for 1500 yards does somewhat prove that RB is one of the easiest positions to find talent in the draft and the one area rookies can quickly adapt to and excel. I'm not sold on it either way, making the trade or not and wouldn't be upset either way either.

Hell no cj could break that rushing record. Ive been waiting for him to get his chance and you want to trade him. WOW

I agree there may not be franchise QB, until you draft a QB who you think has potential and give him a shot we will never know if he is All Pro or not.

The problem with Buddy is that some of the prospects that he didn't believe were worth drafting turned out to be good prospects for other teams. Very often it is worse to make a mistake due to "omission" rather than make a mistake due to "commision". (As you pointed out.) What has bothered me the most about the Nix era is that there didn't seem to be an urgency to address the qb position. What made his lackadaisical approach more egregious is that his franchise qb was clearly inadequate. Not having a young qb in the pipeline during his three year stint as GM set back this franchise.

The problem with Buddy is that some of the prospects that he didn't believe were worth drafting turned out to be good prospects for other teams. Very often it is worse to make a mistake due to "omission" rather than make a mistake due to "commision". (As you pointed out.) What has bothered me the most about the Nix era is that there didn't seem to be an urgency to address the qb position. What made his lackadaisical approach more egregious is that his franchise qb was clearly inadequate. Not having a young qb in the pipeline during his three year stint as GM set back this franchise.

Exactly, this is why if the Bills feel Nassib is their guy, they need to draft him at 8.

Or they can start a misinformation campaign that he has serious flaws and draft him in the second.

Heisman Trophy Runner-Up (2012)

Lott Trophy (2012)

Maxwell Award (2012)

Chuck Bednarik Award (2012)

Walter Camp Award (2012)

Bronko Nagurski Trophy (2012)

Butkus Award (2012)

Lombardi Award (2012)

ARA Sportsmanship Award (2012)[1]

Unanimous First Team All-American (2012)

Capital One First Team Academic All-American (2012)

FBS Independent Defensive Player of the Year (2011)

Consensus Second Team All-American (2011)

Capital One Second Team Academic All-American (2011)

CNNSI Second Team All-American (2010)

CFN Freshman All-American (2009)

Rivals.com Second Team Freshman All-American (2009)

High school awards and honors

Stats at ESPN.com

http://youtu.be/SWxIUeZKPmc

could you show the highlights from the Alabama game ? :w00t::doh:

Exactly, this is why if the Bills feel Nassib is their guy, they need to draft him at 8.

Or they can start a misinformation campaign that he has serious flaws and draft him in the second.

I highly doubt that Nassib is going to be their most highly rated qb prospect. That is not saying that he isn't a good prospect.

I have been very critical of the organization for not drafting qbs such as Kaepernick, Dalton, Wilson and Cousins. But that doesn't mean that the Bills were wrong in not taking them in the first round. In my view Nassib is not a first round caliber type of pick. He reminds me of Dalton. A solid type of player compared to a Kaepernick type qb who at this point might be more inconsistent but in the long run has more upside. Not drafting Wilson or Cousins when they were still on the board in the third round was a mistake that set this franchise back, again!

My position on this draft is very simple: Take the highest rated qb left on your draft board when you draft in the first round. At this point I'm leaning toward Tyler Wilson. Other needs can be met with the following rounds, and free agency can also be used to fortify positions.

I suspect that Buddy understands that after this draft the organization is moving on without him or with him in a very diminished capacity. He has stated on more than a couple of occasions that he doesn't want to leave without securing a franchise qb for this organization. He has also made comments that he belatedly understands that if you want to draft a qb then you will have to draft earlier in the rounds than their rankings might suggest.

My problem with Buddy has little to do with his three first round picks. They were solid and reasonable selections. When you are drafting early that shouldn't be considered a major accomplishment. My problem with him is his body of work. It is simply mediocre.

Well we agree there 100%... B-)

Geno Smuth will be a BAD QB in the NFL. Mark it down in Marble and use it for his gravestone.

Why? Admittedly, I've only seen one game, but the guy can make all the throws. He had a 60 yard bomb thrown to hit the receiver IN STRIDE. He was throwing it wherever he wanted to, but the receivers didn't always catch it. Still he ended the season with 46 TDs and only 6 INTs with a 71% completion percentage. He's 6'3" 214lbs. They lost a bunch of games, but their defense was horrible. The guy could have jumped to a better program too, but didn't.

He has the build. He has the accuracy. He has the arm. And only 6 INTs tells me he makes good decisions. What are his flaws?

I'm saying if he was there at 8, I'd take him. Take Nassib at 40 too if you want, but we need QBs.

I highly doubt that Nassib is going to be their most highly rated qb prospect. That is not saying that he isn't a good prospect.

Geno Smith - Projected Top 20

Tyler Wilson - Projected late 1st to early 2nd

Matt Barkley - Projected late 1st to mid 3rd

Ryan Nassib - Projected late 1st to late 3rd

Nassib could be the Bills Top QB Prospect based on what system Marrone runs, Tyler Wilson has moved to #1 on my Top QB List followed by

Geno Smith

Ryan Nassib

Matt Barkley

E.J. Manuel

Why? Admittedly, I've only seen one game, but the guy can make all the throws. He had a 60 yard bomb thrown to hit the receiver IN STRIDE. He was throwing it wherever he wanted to, but the receivers didn't always catch it. Still he ended the season with 46 TDs and only 6 INTs with a 71% completion percentage. He's 6'3" 214lbs. They lost a bunch of games, but their defense was horrible. The guy could have jumped to a better program too, but didn't.

He has the build. He has the accuracy. He has the arm. And only 6 INTs tells me he makes good decisions. What are his flaws?

I'm saying if he was there at 8, I'd take him. Take Nassib at 40 too if you want, but we need QBs.

In your description of Smith you focused on his physical traits. Just as important, if not more important, are his character traits. He is a hard worker and a student of the game. That is the type of person you want leading your franchise. He is the type of person you are comfortable entrusting to be the face of the franchise. You can't manufacture a player's passion for the game. You either have it or you don't . He has it in spades.

A couple of years ago Mallett was considered the best passer in the college ranks. He fell in the draft not because of a lack of talent but because there were questions regarding his maturity on and off the field. It was the off-field concerns that mostly dropped the rankings of a player with acknowledged sterling talents. That is not the case with Smith.

could you show the highlights from the Alabama game ? :w00t::doh:

Some guys around here want tojust chalk up the NC game to TE'O having one bad game. And his entire of body of work should be looked at.

I say hogwash. I wonder if TE'O had played at Syracuse or Michigan State if he would have gotten as much notoriety? Or if his personal story was different?

He is a decent LB but not worthy of a first round pick. I would not be surprised to watch him slip into the mid second round.

Geno Smith - Projected Top 20

Tyler Wilson - Projected late 1st to early 2nd

Matt Barkley - Projected late 1st to mid 3rd

Ryan Nassib - Projected late 1st to late 3rd

Nassib could be the Bills Top QB Prospect based on what system Marrone runs, Tyler Wilson has moved to #1 on my Top QB List followed by

Geno Smith

Ryan Nassib

Matt Barkley

E.J. Manuel

If you have a different opinion on Nassib I can't say for sure that you are wrong. There will be changes in the rankings as the process advances. Different teams with different offensive philosophies will have different player rankings. My central point on this topic is that I prefer that with the first pick the Bills select the qb left on the board who has the highest ranking.

As with you my preference (at this time) is Tyler Wilson. I'm open to other qb options.

Edited by JohnC

As the 2nd posted stated we need an impact player. Drafting a tackle to me doesn't do that as we have what looks to be a very good LT in Glenn and RT isn't terrible by no means prior to injury. Assuming the Bills resign AL, you don't need five all-pros on the line. In fact getting five all-pros on O-line likely is at the loss of improving another position line LB. Put that much effort on O-line and other areas will suffer.

Here's one question I'd throw out, someone else posted this a couple weeks back, if you could get a 1st and 2nd rounder for CJ Spiller, would you trade him? CJ likely is one of the top five most exciting offense players in the league and I do think with better coaching and usage, will even be better, but seeing the RB from the Redskins, believe he was 5th round pick run for 1500 yards does somewhat prove that RB is one of the easiest positions to find talent in the draft and the one area rookies can quickly adapt to and excel. I'm not sold on it either way, making the trade or not and wouldn't be upset either way either.

Don't you get enough of developing a player and trading him to another team only to see them flourish(Lynch).

I don't get some people on here wanting to draft a pass rusher. We just spent a boatload of cash on 2 pass rushers, plus we have Williams and Dareus (doesn't say much, I know). These players need to be coached up to their potential or get a different job.

What we need are LBs. I also wouldn't be totally against drafting another DB early. I think our team was set back quite a bit with McKelvin basically being a bust.