Parcells Rule on 2013 QBs?

symbiant

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it applies quite like it used to, merely because the demand increased so much in the NFL for franchise QB's, that any college QB risks millions and various other benefits by staying in school beyond eligibility (Matt Barkley is a recent example of the senior year reducing draft stock (hypothetically), although he didn't get hurt). Sure, those Parcells rules are good guides, making any QB who possesses those traits more likely to succeed. Nevertheless, there are guys every year who come out early and end up being good.

I don't think it applies quite like it used to, merely because the demand increased so much in the NFL for franchise QB's, that any college QB risks millions and various other benefits by staying in school beyond eligibility (Matt Barkley is a recent example of the senior year reducing draft stock (hypothetically), although he didn't get hurt). Sure, those Parcells rules are good guides, making any QB who possesses those traits more likely to succeed. Nevertheless, there are guys every year who come out early and end up being good.

I think you are correct. Watching the Bama v. ND game, McCarron is nuts if he stays for his senior season. His stock is now at an all time high. Brian Kelly did NOT have ND ready to play.

For the discussion:

• He must be a senior, because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback.
  • He must be a graduate, because you want someone who takes his responsibilities seriously.
  • He must be a three-year starter, because you need to make sure his success wasn’t ephemeral and that he has lived as “the guy” for some period of time.
  • He must have at least 23 wins, because the big passing numbers must come in the context of winning games.

I think you are correct. Watching the Bama v. ND game, McCarron is nuts if he stays for his senior season. His stock is now at an all time high. Brian Kelly did NOT have ND ready to play.

Dude. Brian Kelly? Seriously ???

There is not a coach that has ever walked planet Earth that could have taken that ND squad and kept them in a game against Alabama.

Thought you were talking about when Parcells said nobody under 63% completions. But the QBs in this draft that fall under the Parcell's rule:

Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Landry Jones. That's it.

Nassib is two wins short from following his rules.

Here's what I came up with looking at the stats of the most commonly talked about QBs around here. Someone else will have to check into whether or not Jones, Barkley, and Smith graduated, but I would assume they all did.

Jones: Senior, 4 year starter, 39 wins

Barkley: Senior, 4 year starter 34 wins

Smith: Senior, 3 year starter, 26 wins,

Nassib: Senior, 3 year starter, 21 Wins (close enough for honorable mention)

Glennon: Senior, 2 year starter

Wilson: Senior, 2 year starter

Bray: Junior

Murray: Junior

Edited by Faustus

Here's what I came up with looking at the stats of the most commonly talked about QBs around here. Someone else will have to check into whether or not Jones, Barkley, and Smith graduated, but I would assume they all did.

Jones: Senior, 4 year starter, 39 wins

Barkley: Senior, 4 year starter 34 wins

Smith: Senior, 3 year starter, 26 wins,

Nassib: Senior, 3 year starter, 21 Wins (close enough for honorable mention)

Glennon: Senior, 2 year starter

Wilson: Senior, 2 year starter

Bray: Junior

Murray: Junior

I got the same info, just didn't feel like typing it out ha. Good work. Murray isn't coming out, but I know why you put him on here.

I think it perhaps pertinent to reflect on the QBs that Parcells drafted(3rd round or higher).....

In 19 years as HC....

Jeff Hostetler (Round 3, pick 3)

Drew Bledsoe (Round 1, pick 1)

I think it perhaps pertinent to reflect on the QBs that Parcells drafted(3rd round or higher).....

In 19 years as HC....

Interestingly, each of those players QB'ed a Parcells coached team to a Super Bowl--- Bledsoe won a 2nd AFC Championship Game with Belichick, but your point stands.

Tangentially, it's amazing just how much those two QBs affected the Bills fortunes over the past 20+ years.

In 19 years as HC....

I think he used that formula also when he was running the Dolphins and selected Chad Henne.

In fact, the Henne pick was when his QB rules first became known, in my recollection.

I think he used that formula also when he was running the Dolphins and selected Chad Henne.

In fact, the Henne pick was when his QB rules first became known, in my recollection.

Not as a head coach, though. He also drafted Chad Pennington in the 1st round for Jets as General Manager in 2000.

I honestly don't think that word has ever been used on TBD before

It's time for a new legacy! The TBD brand has been tarnished by monosyllabic posts for far too long!

Not as a head coach, though. He also drafted Chad Pennington in the 1st round for Jets as General Manager in 2000.

Yes...I forgot his GM years...

Chad Pennington (Round 1, pick 18) 2000

Also yes....

Chad Henne (Round 2, pick 26) 2008

and...

Pat White (Round 2, pick 12) 2009

IMO there we no true star QBs selected by Parcells using his formula.....arguably no good QB either.

Dude. Brian Kelly? Seriously ???

There is not a coach that has ever walked planet Earth that could have taken that ND squad and kept them in a game against Alabama.

Exactly...I LOVED Kelly's comments at Halftime...The most honesty I think I've ever heard out of a HC that was clearly out-talented... B-)