Kyle Williams and calling out Bills effort

there is always some untempered euphoria and chance for a "fresh start" that comes with each coaching hire. i was merely attempting to raise a nagging

concern that i have from my objective perspective as having now gone through five of these things.

anything and mostly everything that's said in these opening press conferences are quite often forgotten come September.

heck, someone here asked me to recall the previous four inaugural press conferences. for some reason, they were all relatively unmemorable.

in fact, i more recall what each coach said to me or in public on the days they were fired or resigned.

again, i'll wait until a year from now before making up my mind on Doug. could be a great guy. could be questions. i'm not sure just as of yet.

oh, and by the way, that was my question regarding the report of the time Marrone apparently committed in studying the teams he was interviewing with. ... geez, shefter was wrong.

jw

Of all of the HC hires made by the Bills since I have followed the Bills diligently, this is the first one I am optimistic about. I didn't care what the previous HC said cause I didn't really care. With the exception of Wade Phillips, I was excited about his hire as well.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Marrone the answer to the Bills coaching question? Time will tell. Will he set a tone of accountabiliy and disciplined football? Yes. He has his work cut out for him. Offense needs infusion of talent at QB and WR. Defense has talent but plays poorly. Add some LBs and a DC who inspires and this group will do well. I am not a doom and gloom type. Marrone can turn out to be the next Cowher or Gregg Williams. I am neither excited or disappointed. My experience as a Bills fan for over 40 years is to wait and see....then I will arm chair QB/Coach til I am blue in the face.

there is always some untempered euphoria and chance for a "fresh start" that comes with each coaching hire. i was merely attempting to raise a nagging

concern that i have from my objective perspective as having now gone through five of these things.

anything and mostly everything that's said in these opening press conferences are quite often forgotten come September.

heck, someone here asked me to recall the previous four inaugural press conferences. for some reason, they were all relatively unmemorable.

in fact, i more recall what each coach said to me or in public on the days they were fired or resigned.

again, i'll wait until a year from now before making up my mind on Doug. could be a great guy. could be questions. i'm not sure just as of yet.

oh, and by the way, that was my question regarding the report of the time Marrone apparently committed in studying the teams he was interviewing with. ... geez, shefter was wrong.

jw

As you well know the success of the selected HC or any other candidate has a lot to do with the caliber of the roster he has to work with, and most especially the caliber of the person taking the snaps. What will have an immediate positive impact is having a credible qb.

As you have suggested there is a lot more to do to lift up a long term "fallen" franchise that has had a 10-15% record against winning teams over the past number of years. The Seattle and San Fran game starkly demonstrated the difference between an upper tier team and a middling team.

I don't expect magic and instant success. But having this archaic franchise managed by a more youthful and modern group is a step in the right direction. Leaving the stone age and functioning in a modern (rational) fashion is encouraging. It's refreshing to not have to contend with the mercurial and shadowy figure in Michigan and instead have the new regime being more analytical and open to scrutiny.

Acknowledging that there is still a long way to go I am more optimistic now than I have been for a very long time. Being upbeat sure beats being downbeat!

Edited by JohnC

jw

JW, okay. Your reservations are fair enough. Except for this part: "geez,shefter was wrong." C'mon John! You go too far!

Kyle Williams should take a look in the mirror. He disappeared in most of the games this season too.

Kyle Williams was playing hurt during the season. His other foot, not the previously injured foot, might require surgery. He is the type of player you don't have to worry about his effort and committment level.

Those were my exact thoughts as well. In college he has an iron first with teenage kids. How does he motivate players now grown men with a guaranteed contract making 10 mil a year? Big leap, that's where Lovie had an edge. But Lovie didn't fit our defense, I think thats why he didn't get the nod. And to play devil's advocate to my own point, Marrone has been at the NFL level and has seen first hand what it takes to lead and motivate.

Well, according to the numerous NFL players who have spoken up in praise of Morrone from their past experience with him as their coach, it sounds like you do it by being honest, setting high expectations, making those expectations clear, and explaining the reasoning behind what you are asking for.

Several have pointed out that his experience as a former NFL player on the OL gets him a lot of credibility.

There's a picture of Doug Marrone standing next to Buddy Nix and Russ Brandon in the Buffalo News today. I'm not sure if Marrone is really tall or if Nix and Brandon are really short.

Marrone is 6'5".

He was an NFL offensive lineman, after all. No shock he's an imposing physical presence.

Edited by BobChalmers

ummm, word of caution: this isn't a college team. these aren't college players. it's one thing to take a my way/highway approach in college. another to do so in the NFL when guaranteed contracts and practice limitations (days, hours and contact) are in place.

and before someone suggests that it's a new coach's perogative to rid team of chaff, well then that was my concern going into a coaching change in the first place: how many Bills fans sign up for more rebuilding?

just a few thoughts.

jw

I totally disagree with your thinking here. This team has been absolutely putrid under Gailey. They were soft, undisciplined and totally unprepared on a weekly basis. My god our record the past 3 years is 16-32. There HAS TO BE a culture change in Buffalo. Doug Marrone is the man to do it. I certainly hope he gets rid of a lot of the players. None of these guys know how to win. Kyle Williams talks a good game but has been lousy the past two years. George Wilson talks a lot about being a leader, and plays like crap. I want a coach who preaches discipline and toughness across the board. Do you really think most of these players like losing? I certainly don't!! The players who will stay are the ones who will buy into what it takes to be a champion. The rest of them will be packing their bags. And good riddance to them. NFL teams are not run by the players like the NBA. There is ALWAYS someone who is hungry to take your place just waiting for the opportunity. I think you may need an adjustment as a writer covering the team in getting used to a head coach who is actually a leader, who will DEMAND the best from everyone in the organization. I would love Marrone to be a young Tom Coughlin.

where did this fat and out if shape stuff come from? The only place I've heard this is by posters. Link or something? When was this story? I've followed training camp... Why didn't hear this than?

My brother met him in the Buffalo airport when the players were about to go on their bye week (Dareus, Merriman and Stevie J) and he told me that Dareus was surprisingly fat and out of shape. He has one more year to get it together, or he will be gone from the Bills. The guy needs to get angry and play with an edge.

I totally disagree with your thinking here. This team has been absolutely putrid under Gailey. They were soft, undisciplined and totally unprepared on a weekly basis. My god our record the past 3 years is 16-32. There HAS TO BE a culture change in Buffalo. Doug Marrone is the man to do it. I certainly hope he gets rid of a lot of the players. None of these guys know how to win. Kyle Williams talks a good game but has been lousy the past two years. George Wilson talks a lot about being a leader, and plays like crap. I want a coach who preaches discipline and toughness across the board. Do you really think most of these players like losing? I certainly don't!! The players who will stay are the ones who will buy into what it takes to be a champion. The rest of them will be packing their bags. And good riddance to them. NFL teams are not run by the players like the NBA. There is ALWAYS someone who is hungry to take your place just waiting for the opportunity. I think you may need an adjustment as a writer covering the team in getting used to a head coach who is actually a leader, who will DEMAND the best from everyone in the organization. I would love Marrone to be a young Tom Coughlin.

I am with you until you dissed KW - playing DT with a pair of bad achilles tendons is no joke. It's conceivable his body is simply failing him after years of hard fighting in the trenches, but I am not seeing any good reason to doubt his effort.

Similarly with Wilson - he may just be old at this point - nothing to do with effort from a guy who's done everything his coaches have asked for years now.

I am with you until you dissed KW - playing DT with a pair of bad achilles tendons is no joke. It's conceivable his body is simply failing him after years of hard fighting in the trenches, but I am not seeing any good reason to doubt his effort.

Similarly with Wilson - he may just be old at this point - nothing to do with effort from a guy who's done everything his coaches have asked for years now.

I understand where you are coming from in your defense of KW. However, I want the 2010 version of him back..If his marginal performance at times was because of his other Achilles being injured, than he should have been sat down because he certainly was not helping the team with his play this season. But I will give him the benefit of the doubt that repairing his "other" foot will get him back to his earlier dominance for the next 3-4 seasons. As for Wilson, I always thought his play was not as good as his clippings. At best he was an above average safety with very limited range in coverage. I look forward to him being replaced this season.

KW can say what he wants in the locker room. He tells it like it is. As far as some players having gur. contract. Set a starter on the bench and see how fast he violates a rule or quits. Some of these guys are big babies and need to be treated like they are. It's called a "time out". George Wilson is a nice guy and gives 100%. He cost us a game by himself by dropping two interceptions. One of 16 games is a big loss. Time to go George.

Kyle Williams doesn't seem to me like the kind of guy who would open his mouth unless he had the complete and utter respect of every one of his teammates. Playing hurt the last two years without complaint is something I'm sure his teammates greatly respect.

As for Marrone, I don't get the sense that he's another Schiano.

That's a good thing.