Mort: Browns rebooting coach search

Hahahahahahahahaha!

Sorry, just had to laugh. Looks like Cleveland's Plan B just signed with The Bills (well, perhaps, maybe, sorta, he's supposed to have by some accounts).

Haslam with all that moolah and Banner with all his cunning couldn't close the deal - after a seven hour marathon meeting and a followup meeting or two. The Brownies are now going to have to retool. Methinks they've been plotting for months to get Kelly, and now it's blown up in their faces - including their "backup" plan.

Last year, they lost out to Washington on RGIII and this year Kelly turns them down. I feel bad for the Browns.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cleveland will be happy they didn't get Kelly. What the hell does he know about assembling an NFL roster? His ego is as big as his second chin. If he truly wants roster control he is delusional. Andy Reid failed. Holmgen failed. Parcells failed. The only guy to pull it off is Belichick with a QB he passed on 5 times before drafting him.

A week after starting their coaching search, the Browns have to start over again. There's no other option after failing to sign Oregon coach Chip Kelly, the team's top candidate.

This is a major setback for the regime of owner Jimmy Haslam and chief executive officer Joe Banner, who wanted to send the message that the new Browns are different than the old ones. After firing coach Pat Shurmur on Monday, Haslam and Banner both boldly said they would go after the top candidates and had no fear of getting one. It's hard to save face during a coaching search that has been a series of blows from not landing Kelly to losing out on both of the fallback options (Penn State's Bill O'Brien and Syracuse's Doug Marrone).

http://espn.go.com/b...g-to-land-kelly

.....at least the bills can say they got one of the coveted coaches ( cle, philly & san diego)......

I don't think the Browns would have made a "Splash" if they had hired Morronne.

I don't think the Browns are in any bad shape. There are still some excellent Head Coaches available.

I don't blame the Browns no reason to rush their search, plenty of candidates out there.

Can't blame them for stepping up to the plate and taking a cut. I have several friends that are Cleveland fans... probably one of the few fanbases that can truly relate to our own. Couple this with the Raven's win, and I'm sure they're a bit nauseous today.

you cant come into the nfl for the first time asking for total control and stuff like that, seems like hes a little too full of himself at this point and his ego is bound to get in his own way. nfl history is full of those guys and they usually dont work out

This. If Kelly - a guy with a 4-year resume - really thinks he should have total control including personnel, he's an arrogant idiot.

Gregg Williams v. 2.0

How about all those "Bills fans" yesterday who were complaining that the Browns were making the Bills look bad?

Bottom line, both teams had an interest in Kelly and Marrone. Sources out of Cleveland were actually saying that the Browns were trying to decide which one they liked better.

The Bills got Marrone. It looks like Philly will get Kelly.

Any way anyone wants to cut it up, Cleveland is the loser here.

Cleveland is ALWAYS the looser.

This. If Kelly - a guy with a 4-year resume - really thinks he should have total control including personnel, he's an arrogant idiot.

Gregg Williams v. 2.0

Seems like an arrogant idiot to me. I actually think the Browns should have kept their HC. Being a Browns fan is worse than being a Bills fan in terms of suffering IMO.

Can't blame them for stepping up to the plate and taking a cut. I have several friends that are Cleveland fans... probably one of the few fanbases that can truly relate to our own. Couple this with the Raven's win, and I'm sure they're a bit nauseous today.

I HATE the Ravens and I'm not even the bit predisposed to the Browns. I can only imagine how much Browns fans HATE the Ravens.

I don't think the Browns would have made a "Splash" if they had hired Morronne.

I don't think the Browns are in any bad shape. There are still some excellent Head Coaches available.

True. They could still land Lovie Smith. But if I'm Smith, I'm going to the Bills to be a DC for a few years and wait for a better HC gig to open up. Perhaps Washington or Dallas. Anything but Cleveland which is worse run than the Bills IMO.

I just can't believe a college coach, no matter how good he is in college, with ZERO NFL coaching or playing experience thinks he can demand soooo much power for an NFL gig. That is a very hard thing for any GM/owner to agree to IMHO. Just wow, if Kelly really wants that much control.

And here's where some of these guys go off the rails... They are so used to being gods in their state, top dawg on campus that they can't handle the transition.

That's impossible. And even if it was possible, we're not allowed to say so.

And no gloating either. We suck so we can't claim success in anything.

Because some of our fans say so.

I intend to gloat,just not till I hear the official presser that introduces Marrone. lol

Cleveland is ALWAYS the looser.

Seems like an arrogant idiot to me. I actually think the Browns should have kept their HC. Being a Browns fan is worse than being a Bills fan in terms of suffering IMO.

I HATE the Ravens and I'm not even the bit predisposed to the Browns. I can only imagine how much Browns fans HATE the Ravens.

True. They could still land Lovie Smith. But if I'm Smith, I'm going to the Bills to be a DC for a few years and wait for a better HC gig to open up. Perhaps Washington or Dallas. Anything but Cleveland which is worse run than the Bills IMO.

That is a little out of the blue. Why would he take the DC job of the Bills, but spurn the HC job of the Cleveland browns. Both have similar talent levels and the Browns have a "less" of a issue at QB than the Bills (especially in a weak QB draft). IMHO, from a coaching perspective, both the Browns and Bills are on par with regards to everything. In fact, the one strong thing going in favor of the Browns is the stability at the ownership position. If you are the HC of the Browns you have a shot at a 3-year program to resurrect them. If you come to the Bills, who know what happens, if RW passes away. That uncertainty will always hang over the Bills.