Fiesta bowl thread

NoSaint

Bill Bellichick obviously believes many of these principles translate to the NFL--- that's exactly why he's using them. Kelly has stated many times that he would fit his scheme to the personnel. It's not this specific offense that an NFL team would be buying, but his brains. The truth is, Oregon has the no.1 rushing attack in NCAAF.

And that also entails his use of percentages in determining when to take "risks" (even though they are statistically the safer call).

Exactly - the scheme is a product of his evaluations. You want his evaluations designing your scheme if you get him. You aren't expecting him to plop down the same playbook and do the exact thing your watching.

What other than that offense distinguishes him as the latest, greatest offensive mastermind and new darling NFL coach prospect?

His statistical analysis of how to make decisions in a non traditional but more effective manner?

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you could see him go no huddle but slower at the line to prevent substitutions (ala manning or a number of other qbs). Hustle on occasion.

And if he can score quick two or three times its hard to go smash mouth/time of possession on him.

I also think the numbers plugged into his system would vary on an nfl level. The right decision by the numbers at Oregon wouldn't be made by the same inputs at the nfl.

I see your point, but my skepticism comes from watching Buffalo's unstoppable K-Gun grounded in 4 straight Superbowls by such tactics and by New England's unstoppable Brady express twice grounded by the Giants.

What other than that offense distinguishes him as the latest, greatest offensive mastermind and new darling NFL coach prospect?

The way he runs his team, the way he runs his practices, the different risk/reward system he ascribes to, the way he believes that players learning to do something very well over and over is a better idea than confusing them with a lot of fancy formations, the efficiency with which his team plays (partially because of his unique practices), the innovative way he calls signals, the way he changes tempos depending on how the game is progressing, the way other highly respected minds in football and even other sports seek him out to see if they can garner knowledge, etc.

I see your point, but my skepticism comes from watching Buffalo's unstoppable K-Gun grounded in 4 straight Superbowls by such tactics and by New England's unstoppable Brady express twice grounded by the Giants.

What about all those times ground and pound teams couldn't keep up with high flyers?

It's all a balance, matter of matchups, any given Sunday yada yada yada

Ummm, okay. Gotta remember the statistical analysis delta between coaching prospects moving forward.

When Chans punting on 4th and 3 on the 36, lovie is kicking a fg, and Kelly's going for it because the math shows its a better choice.... It's a valuable difference, even though tough old school football guys might knock the nerdy math factor.

It's part of why the pats are so good when the games on the line so consistently (obviously Brady helps but....) making the right decision in the first place is huge.

Heck - even getting to an earlier point - realizing the difference between time of possession and total offensive snaps with regards to wearing a defense down. Standing around in the huddle doesn't wear a defense down if you are running 3 plays every 2 minutes of clock. If Oregon runs 6 plays in that time, you've had to work pretty darn hard by comparison. It's still about 3rd down stops/conversions really.

Edited by NoSaint

When Chans punting on 4th and 3 on the 36, lovie is kicking a fg, and Kelly's going for it because the math shows its a better choice.... It's a valuable difference, even though tough old school football guys might knock the nerdy math factor.

It's part of why the pats are so good when the games on the line so consistently (obviously Brady helps but....) making the right decision in the first place is huge.

Heck - even getting to an earlier point - realizing the difference between time of possession and total offensive snaps with regards to wearing a defense down. Standing around in the huddle doesn't wear a defense down if you are running 3 plays every 2 minutes of clock. If Oregon runs 6 plays in that time, you've had to work pretty darn hard by comparison. It's still about 3rd down stops/conversions really.

Exactly.

By going for 2 on the opening TD, Kelly created a scenario where Kansas State had to score 2 TDs to take the lead, being down 22-10 at the half. Had Oregon simply kicked the extra point, an 11 point lead doesn't seem as daunting when you can kick a FG as part of the 2 scores needed. Instead, KS tightened up and started to press. How often have we seen Gailey or Jauron teams play "not to lose" and watching the other team pull away?

Conversely, had Snyder not attempted that FG in the 2nd Q, the outcome might've still been in doubt.

Edited by Punch

Again, I get your point(s) but I'm old school in the sense that I haven't seen systems win anything. Players do and I wonder if Kelly can coach to his player's talents and not jam them into a system. It's one thing to recruit the team you want in college and another to deal with the complexity of the NFL CBA and capology. I'd like to see more of Kelly before anointing him the future of the pro game.

Edited by Green Lightning

Again, I get your point(s) but I'm old school on the sense I haunt seen systems win anything. Players do and I wonder if Kelly can coach to his player's talents and not jam them into a system. It's one thing to recruit the team you want in college and another to deal with the complexity of the NFL CBA and capology. I'd like to see more of Kelly before anointing him the future of the pro game.

The thing is, you seem to be criticizing him without seeing or knowing much about him and his philosophy, and just assuming he will try to jam them into his system when there is little to believe he would if you did some homework.

There is a lot to worry about him as an NFL coach. Can he hire a good staff on offense or defense being at the top of the list. But to just automatically say this gimmick would not work in the NFL I don't want him is not at all fair to him.

The thing is, you seem to be criticizing him without seeing or knowing much about him and his philosophy, and just assuming he will try to jam them into his system when there is little to believe he would if you did some homework.

There is a lot to worry about him as an NFL coach. Can he hire a good staff on offense or defense being at the top of the list. But to just automatically say this gimmick would not work in the NFL I don't want him is not at all fair to him.

Especially when the gimmick is "make the right choice not the popular choice"

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.