NFL Writers are turning into message board guessers

theesir

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is, espn used to have those aspirations and hired the personnel to match it about 20 years ago. Then they transitioned to the reality tv/scandalous talk show producers in their most recent hiring cycle. It went from reporting the news to creating the news. Being the self proclaimed world wide leader, it's certainly trickled down all over the industry.

While ESPN ladles on the shlock like no other (wait, there still is not other...), but I think they break more stories than any other national outlet.

Anyway, not sure why anyone would be so disappointed in the quality of....sports journalism.

I think that's the point... if I can't count on an Adam Shefter source, who is 95% certain to even be in the ballpark (Reid never even interviewed with the Cards) than how can I trust any of his speculation. Its the throw it all and then take credit for the stories that stick approach.

That's 5 % that he won't be hired. So the report is accurate So you say there's a chance ! :thumbsup: Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

You can't have a sensible conversation on this subject when people can't distinguish between reporters vs columnists, "the press" vs a media outlet, a story vs a tweet, and a dozen or so other important distinctions.

What's tough is I think a lot of the editors at the top struggle mightily with maintaining those distinctions too.

I think that's the point... if I can't count on an Adam Shefter source, who is 95% certain to even be in the ballpark (Reid never even interviewed with the Cards) than how can I trust any of his speculation. Its the throw it all and then take credit for the stories that stick approach.

Actually, they were going to interview him but canceled when they got wind of his pending deal with KC, per ESPN.

/thread.

You can't have a sensible conversation on this subject when people can't distinguish between reporters vs columnists, "the press" vs a media outlet, a story vs a tweet, and a dozen or so other important distinctions.

When a columnist reports news, he's a reporter--the reader still expects him to get his facts straight. When a reporter tweets something, it's still news. The medium doesn't, or at least shouldn't, matter.

When a columnist reports news, he's a reporter--the reader still expects him to get his facts straight. When a reporter tweets something, it's still news. The medium doesn't, or at least shouldn't, matter.

which is why you can't have a conversation about it. Some people still think that words on the internet are somehow different from words on paper.

Its absolutely amazing that these "respected" NFL writers are wrong as often as they are and still deemed "respected".

The age of twitter has turned these guys from journalists into rumor mongers trying to scoop the other writers by throwing every guess they have at the wall (twitter wall) as a guarantee or near guarantee.

Jason La Canfora, and Adam Shefter really take the cake.

I'll give ONE example and you guys can fill in some others.

The big report 2 days ago was Reid to the Cards- Done Deal! Yesterday- Talking to Chiefs first, Today- Going to Chiefs, Count on it!

I have ABSOLUTELY NO faith in reports that Wisenhut is the Bills first choice and is the "leading candidate". Its just another guess so that someone can say "I said it first".

I want to separate John Warrow and Tim Graham from this conversation. They have avoided making ridiculous guesses have only reported what they know to be true. I'm glad to see they still take their roles seriously.

Exactly to your point:

@BNHarrington

Didn't ESPN say it as gospel that Reid was going to Arizona? Oops. I'm with @salmaiorana. Too much rumor these days passing as journalism.

It's not just sports journalists. Look at the Sandy Hook coverage. There was so much misinformation it was emberassing. What happened to fact checking? They reported Lanza's mother worked at the school for hours when it was not true. Everyone wants to break the story truth be damned...

which is why you can't have a conversation about it. Some people still think that words on the internet are somehow different from words on paper.

The medium doesn't matter quite as much as things like whether "the news" is from a rumor mill, a blog post, a passed along rumor, from a "source", from an "inside source", etc.

The tendency is for lots of people to treat these things as the same thing.

Reading comprehension is not the strong suit of most of the general public.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan