Streaming WGR550 and commercials

DPR4444

This is not the usual WGR rant. This is a different WGR rant. J

Based on all the recent events, I have found myself listening to WGR via my Iphone a lot lately.

I have no idea how this industry works, but why is it that the streaming version of WGR seems to replay about the same 6 commercials over and over? And they all seem to be PSAs?

I have never heard so much discussion of bacteria on leftovers, or the little girl that doesn’t want to take swimming lessons, or the new parents discussing parenting, or the importance of getting my GED.

I never thought I’d say this, but I almost miss hearing Mama Pecoraro!

The parenting commercial is driving me nuts.

I Knew that, yeah, me too.

I actually just want to say, stupid commercials be damned. I always listen to WGR on the TuneIn App for one main reason- I can pause, rewind and fast forward. I love having someone talk to me and I don't have to get frustrated that I'm missing a great interview. I can pause and then listen in a few minutes.

There is a very good reason why WGR (and most stations that stream online) replace their commercials with PSAs. It has to do with royalties for SAG or AFTRA union voice talents. These guys have a deal that pays them a load of money if a commercial they read gets streamed. Trouble is no one bothers to indicate what commercials have union voice talents on them. So as a precaution they strip out the commercials to avoid any potential liability.

That is not to say that WGR and others don't try to sell ads that run on their web streams only. They do, and they make sure it's non-union talent on the commercials. But internet radio is sort of like FM radio in the 70's. People are listening but advertising agencies have yet to fully adopt it as a legit medium. So it's hard to sell ads right now. Which is ironic because with web streaming you know exactly how many receivers are tuned in at any given moment, unlike conventional radio. But the industry hates change and moves at a glaciers pace.

PTR

As someone who lives outside of WNY, I love the WGR550 app. I listen to it all day while they broadcast local sports talk.

However, the commercials are painful! They play the same 5 commercials over and over again.

I don't care about the little girl and her questions about Earth.

I don't care if your child's car seat is the right size for your child. (The most annoying commercial).

I don't care if you're acting like an adult - "Am too, Am too" - while you attempt to prove you know your finances.

I don't care if you "feed the pig."

Anyhow, I know I will get flamed for bichin about this but I know I can't be the only one who cringes when these commercials are aired...

And I explained why they do that...

"WGR, as well a most stations that stream, replace their commercials with PSAs.  It has to do with royalties for SAG or AFTRA union voice talents.  These guys have a deal that pays them a load of money if a commercial they read gets streamed.  Trouble is no one bothers to indicate what commercials have union voice talents on them.  So as a precaution they strip out the commercials to avoid any potential liability"

PTR

This is already its own thread in Off The Wall

http://forums.twobil...nd-commercials/

Ha! Two threads about how bad the ads are! I may need to tune in today just to check this out.

And I explained why they do that...

"WGR, as well a most stations that stream, replace their commercials with PSAs. It has to do with royalties for SAG or AFTRA union voice talents. These guys have a deal that pays them a load of money if a commercial they read gets streamed. Trouble is no one bothers to indicate what commercials have union voice talents on them. So as a precaution they strip out the commercials to avoid any potential liability"

PTR

Very interesting. So the ads arent the same as being played on the radio, but theyll probably be the same no matter if you are streaming through the website or through various apps?

Ha! Two threads about how bad the ads are! I may need to tune in today just to check this out.

Very interesting. So the ads arent the same as being played on the radio, but theyll probably be the same no matter if you are streaming through the website or through various apps?

it's all the same really. In fact there is really only one source for the stream, WGR. Apps like TuneIn just aggragate them.

Run, don't walk, away from that PoS app. The worst programmed, the worst designed interface ever constructed. It is terrible beyon belief.

Get tunein and save yourself from wanting to drive off a bridge trying to deal with that PoS.

it's all the same really. In fact there is really only one source for the stream, WGR. Apps like TuneIn just aggragate them.

No, the commericals are not the same that are aired over the radio v the app. When I'm home in Buffalo Niagara - I play the app and listen to the radio at the same time just to hear the differences and they are never the same.

Run, don't walk, away from that PoS app. The worst programmed, the worst designed interface ever constructed. It is terrible beyon belief.

Get tunein and save yourself from wanting to drive off a bridge trying to deal with that PoS.

I agree. But I do listen to WGR's sister station here in Boston using their app - WEEI - and its just so much better. As a matter of fact, I don't understand why Buffalo's Entercom station is sooooo bad compared to Boston's... I know, different markets but the quality of production, apps, even commercials are better in Boston than Buffalo. Entercom Buffalo is so stuck in the past.

Yeah, it's busch league. But since WGR only comes in on the radio in Rochester from 8-5 (also busch league!) - I thought it was my only option for live streaming. Thanks for the TuneIn heads up. I'll only use it for the Audio Vault now! :D