Would you accept Fitz in a backup role if he restructures contract?

Big Turk

Fitz had his opportunity and despite the Harvard education continued to throw into the teeth of coverages late in games completely ignoring the open guys underneath. Aaron Rogers and Tom Brady dump off underneath out of the spread on 3 and short all the time and for the easy conversions, but no, Fitz ALWAYS has to force it to the guy doubled up down field. Maybe I would like him more if he wasn't so smart. He needs to go ASAP.

Can't divide loyalties in the locker room.

I don't really care if Fitz says he's on board with whatever. This would be like Captain Hindsight trying to remain "just friends" with his ex even tho he still had "feelings" for her --- it can't be done in the real world with much degree of success. Symbolically and emotionally, you've gotta make a clean break.

If we're going to draft a QB or get a FA to start fresh, then it needs to really be fresh.

The next coach will have his offense, and his idea of a QB. And, hopefully, that idea doesn't include a guy who doesn't have much throwing strength, is erratic in accuracy and has turned gunshy by going to 2-yard options on 3rd and 14.

Edited by UConn James

He would be a cancer. Just because he has a beard doesn't make him a good guy, doesn't make him tough. People are too easily fooled by someone growing a beard. The person growing a beard is usually compensating for lack of toughness, lack of manliness. Fitz has probably never picked up a wrench in his life.

Anyway, no 30-yr-old man faking toughness with his beard is going to become this "good soldier" who "mentors" someone who just took his job. If he were 60, maybe he'd do the "mentoring" thing. But he's 30. He's going to be a cancer.

Cut him.

Fitz is done in Buffalo... I doubt he has any future as a starter or backup with another NFL team.

You must be kidding. Have you seen the backups in this league? Brady Quinn, John Skelton, Ryan Lindley, Tyler Thigpen, etc.

People here act as if Fitz is Ryan Leaf or something. He is basically an average NFL starting QB, finishing 17th in QB Rating this year, 13th in TDs, 9th in most INTs, tied for 26th in Yards/Attempt, 16th in completion percentage.

You know who Fitz has almost identical stats to this year? Andy Dalton.

Drastic contract restructure, he starts till the next QB is ready. Then he can be kept as a backup or if he wants to be traded.

Did you not see that 4 rookie QBs led their team to the playoffs the past 2 years(Dalton, Griffin, Wilson, Luck)? They are pretty much ready out of college these days

OK so they cut Fitz,, , now what? They have no quarterbacks on this team. As far as I know Jackson will be a free agent and Thigpen is not capable and also a free agent.They draft a quarterback , but there is no guarantee he will not struggle as many rookies do. There just doesn't seem to be a quality qb draft this year. They would need to get one or two quarterbacks in free agency. As much as I hate the idea, Vick might need to be looked at as a possible addition to this team. Maybe a trade is possible, such as Flynn but what will be asked for in return? Look at the Qbs that are going to be free agents this year and you won't be impressed at all except for Flacco,and I'm pretty sure he will be signed by Baltimore. The Bills can't just draft a young qb and hand him the reigns unless he proves he deserves it,like Wilson did in Seattle. I don't think Fitz is the long term answer either, but what are the alternatives?

Vick just showed a disgusting lack of leadership by throwing his teammates completely under the bus in Philadelphia...he is the ultimate point the finger at everyone else when things go wrong guy. There is also talk that after he got that big contract with Philly, he slipped back into his complacent ways like he had in Atlanta where he never really studied film or tried to maximize his talent. You want to talk about horrible interceptions? Vick makes Fitz look like Tom Brady in that category. Dude throws some of the most mind numbing interceptions inside the opponents 10 yard line you will ever see.

He would be a cancer. Just because he has a beard doesn't make him a good guy, doesn't make him tough. People are too easily fooled by someone growing a beard. The person growing a beard is usually compensating for lack of toughness, lack of manliness. Fitz has probably never picked up a wrench in his life.

Anyway, no 30-yr-old man faking toughness with his beard is going to become this "good soldier" who "mentors" someone who just took his job. If he were 60, maybe he'd do the "mentoring" thing. But he's 30. He's going to be a cancer.

Cut him.

Have you ever taken a really good blindside hit by Wilfork

Great guy, perfect backup in theory. Horrible idea. It would create divided loyalties between the new staff/QB and old QB. At the first challenging moment you'd hear too much grumbling. Too much to saddle a new coach with. I'll make like Gailey and choose to pass even though it seems like a bad idea.

A while back, the Bengals drafted Carson Palmer first overall. They kept Palmer on the bench his entire rookie year, giving him a chance to learn the offense. Jon Kitna remained the starter for that year. The next year Palmer was anointed the starter. There were some mixed feelings in the locker room at first, because the players trusted Kitna. Probably much more so than Bills players like Stevie Johnson trust Fitz. The mixed feelings in the Bengals locker room quickly went away, as it became clear Palmer was the better quarterback. Kitna was valuable to the Bengals in a backup role, just as Fitz would be valuable to the Bills as a backup.

A while back, the Bengals drafted Carson Palmer first overall. They kept Palmer on the bench his entire rookie year, giving him a chance to learn the offense. Jon Kitna remained the starter for that year. The next year Palmer was anointed the starter. There were some mixed feelings in the locker room at first, because the players trusted Kitna. Probably much more so than Bills players like Stevie Johnson trust Fitz. The mixed feelings in the Bengals locker room quickly went away, as it became clear Palmer was the better quarterback. Kitna was valuable to the Bengals in a backup role, just as Fitz would be valuable to the Bills as a backup.

Was kitna a holdover from a prior coaching regime?

He would be a great backup, and mentor.

A back-up on a different team....fine, as that was his role before he arrived in Buffalo, but "mentor"....to whom and why?? What can he possibly teach a young QB that would actually HELP the kid??? Sorry, I just don't see it....

A back-up on a different team....fine, as that was his role before he arrived in Buffalo, but "mentor"....to whom and why?? What can he possibly teach a young QB that would actually HELP the kid??? Sorry, I just don't see it....

Most coaches weren't good players. Fitz seems to have a solid grasp of the NFL, and is a leader in the locker room.

I second this motion.

I'm not saying we should burn every vestige of his presence on our roster, but we should place them all in garbage bags, and head quickly toward the dumpster.

Fitz is done in Buffalo... I doubt he has any future as a starter or backup with another NFL team.

Really? He will make a solid backup for someone.