Chip Kelly HC! (possibly for the Browns)

13player

Well, there's money and then there's money. We may have offered the guy a lot more than other organizations are prepared to offer.

There's power and then there's power. An established big name GM may not want to let Kelly do as he pleases in terms of selecting talent. In Buffalo, that's all up for grabs. We may well be able to offer the guy money and a situation other teams can not match, when the specific details are analyzed.

Or he may end up in Philadelphia and we made him a crap offer. Who the hell knows.

So Cleveland's billionaire owner, with no GM in place wouldn't provide that very possibly? Maybe more than us even. Possibly even if we make a GREAT offer. Hell, I'd venture more power would be less success at some point for the team offering it honestly. Diminishing returns with it

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so I know i will get ripped for this but here goes.....A very close and very reliable person who is very, very, very close to Russ Brandon let it slip that while yes Chip Kelly is at dinner still with the Eagles the bills have made him an offer earlier today. Whether or not he accepts is another story. His lawyers are with him because of the Bills offer. It is expected that the Browns will counter the offer but it is down to Buffalo and Cleveland. Bills have continued to interview in case the bidding war gets crazy out of hand.

It sounds like once Kelly makes his decision the Bills should move fast to make their decision, assuming of course Kelly does not agree to be the Bills HC.

The value of Twitter reports hinges entirely on whose tweets you are reading, and whether or not they are credible, primary sources of news information.

I have been following Pierre LeBrun and Bob McKenzie almost exclusively for NHL lockout information, b/c they are among the very few who actually seem connected, have real sources, and are actually engaged in journalism. I.E., finding out information and sharing it with the public via TWITTER.

When a tweet is Joe Jerk passing on what he read in another tweet that began life as a rumour, the tweet isn't very valuable.

And a new trend is for mediocre "journalists" to throw a lot of Twitter crap at the wall and see what sticks, in hopes of actually landing the big story.

I'm surprised some of them don't just tweet "Kelly to Buffalo" followed by "Kelly to Browns" followed by "Kelly to Philly" followed by "Kelly to stay in Eugene!"....

One of those tweets has to be right!

So Cleveland's billionaire owner, with no GM in place wouldn't provide that very possibly? Maybe more than us even. Possibly even if we make a GREAT offer. Hell, I'd venture more power would be less success at some point for the team offering it honestly. Diminishing returns with it

It's not about how much money the Browns' owner has; it's about how much of it he wants to give to Kelly. And we simply don't know the details here. Who knows! Maybe Cleveland is prepared to outbid anyone. But if that was the case, after 7 hours of interviewing, why hasn't Kelly signed with the Browns yet?

This was my original point. Kelly apparently spent all day hashing out, in great detail, the terms of his signing with Cleveland. And yet he hasn't signed with Cleveland! And it looks like that after a very brief meeting with Kelly, the Bills may have done something to make Kelly re-think the situation.

If that is accurate, I find that interesting. I'd like to know the real details of how this is all playing out right now. It would make an interesting movie.

For all we know, Russ may have been in contact with Kelly for the last few months, and already have a verbal agreement. Maybe the Browns and Eagles have just been spending all of this time with him, pleading for him to reconsider.

A fool can dream...

Go Bills!!

For all we know, Russ may have been in contact with Kelly for the last few months, and already have a verbal agreement. Maybe the Browns and Eagles have just been spending all of this time with him, pleading for him to reconsider.

A fool can dream...

Go Bills!!

Now heres an interesting question, if this hypothetical was true would that be tampering?

A fool can dream...

Go Bills!!

Your point is well taken, and we certainly have no real idea of what is happening right now.

Having said that, I highly doubt a 7 hour meeting b/w Kelly and the Browns would have happened if it was just pleading with him to reconsider his preexisting verbal agreement with the Bills.

It would be the other way around based on time spent interviewing. I.E., you would imagine the Bills would have been doing the pleading based on the short time they spent with Kelly.

Now heres an interesting question, if this hypothetical was true would that be tampering?

don't believe so....i believe that only goes against players from ncaa to pros..

Your point is well taken, and we certainly have no real idea of what is happening right now.

Having said that, I highly doubt a 7 hour meeting b/w Kelly and the Browns would have happened if it was just pleading with him to reconsider his preexisting verbal agreement with the Bills.

It would be the other way around based on time spent interviewing. I.E., you would imagine the Bills would have been doing the pleading based on the short time they spent with Kelly.

or sources are completely wrong and he wasn't in a 7 hour meeting with cleveland..

Yesterday, after the fact, we found out that the Bills interviewed three separate candidates. The Bills are notorious for not telling reporters what they are doing. There is no real reason to believe this, but it's quite possible the Bills met again with Kelly this morning for a few hours. That would have made it a lot closer between the many hours he allegedly spent with the Browns and the many hours he allegedly spent with the Eagles. It's also quite possible that the Bills were not serious players in the courtship, for any number of 50 possible reasons.

Yesterday, after the fact, we found out that the Bills interviewed three separate candidates. The Bills are notorious for not telling reporters what they are doing. There is no real reason to believe this, but it's quite possible the Bills met again with Kelly this morning for a few hours. That would have made it a lot closer between the many hours he allegedly spent with the Browns and the many hours he allegedly spent with the Eagles. It's also quite possible that the Bills were not serious players in the courtship, for any number of 50 possible reasons.

Shouldn't the Bills Brass already be in Denver interviewing McCoy? Who knows given their wall of silence.

I think we have established from a variety of legit sources that Kelly did meet for 7 hours with the Browns.

We don't know what's going on though, that is for sure.

Peter King Tweeted as of 2 hours ago (about 9pm eastern) that Philly was still meeting with Kelly.

Earlier reports were saying Philly is out and it's b/w the Bills and Browns! So there you go.

We'll know when we know. Until then, speculation is somewhat meaningless. Fun to ponder though.

Shouldn't the Bills Brass already be in Denver interviewing McCoy? Who knows given their wall of silence.

Yep, I believe that is the currently accepted story...the Bills are in Denver and we met with McCoy today.

ESPN has a column saying we interviewed 3 candidates yesterday in Phoenix, then were moving to Denver today.

that Mary Kay Cabot of the plain-dealer is full of it..not once does she mention kelly met with the bills today...

"lawyers are at dinner"...shut up

She just now tweeted that chip is still meeting with the eagles...nice browns..nice...

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot

#Oregon's Chip Kelly still meeting with the #Eagles.

haha she has no clue...

+1

Mary Kay at times has informative and factual articles about the Browns but what she is reporting makes no sense.....especially since she reported the Browns met with CK for 7 hours yesterday and now according to PFT he has met with the Eagles for an equal amount of time? And now no dinner for CK?

I am no rocket scientist but has anyone ever had a job interview for 7 hours? Let alone twice in two days?

There are things to talk about....scheme, coaching philosophy, coaching staff, roster management, etc. but 7 hours? EACH?

Sounds like spin from an agent to generate some buzz. I could care less if the Bills land CK but these stories make no sense. And why no stories about the Bills interview with CP?

All of this is strange.....

+1

Mary Kay at times has informative and factual articles about the Browns but what she is reporting makes no sense.....especially since she reported the Browns met with CK for 7 hours yesterday and now according to PFT he has met with the Eagles for an equal amount of time? And now no dinner for CK?

I am no rocket scientist but has anyone ever had a job interview for 7 hours? Let alone twice in two days?

There are things to talk about....scheme, coaching philosophy, coaching staff, roster management, etc. but 7 hours? EACH?

Sounds like spin from an agent to generate some buzz. I could care less if the Bills land CK but these stories make no sense. And why no stories about the Bills interview with CP?

All of this is strange.....

So MKC is a true NFL insider then. :rolleyes:

Not to be negative, but does it really matter which one of these guys the Bills hire? The candidates with HC experience only had success because they had talent and most importantly they had top notch QBs. Wiz had Warner and Lovie had Cutler, both had multiple talented WRs.

In my opinion, the Bills need to find someone that will utilize CJ and has to be a master motivator. Maybe that's Kelly? Regardless, they have to find a legit QB. Do that and whomever they hire will be the next NFL HC genious. The bigger issue is where are they going to find that QB? Not in this years draft. None of these guys interviewing are going to win and turn this franchise around with Fitz. All these coaches are capable with the right QB in place. Miss on the QB and we'll right here 3 years from now.

If these reports of meeting with the Browns and Eagles are true and each have been 7+ hours (which I can not beleive would be the case) shouldn't we question CK's time management and those of the executives of the Browns and Eagles?

Who has this much time in life? No matter what you do, who has 7+ hours to talk to anyone about anything?

Not to be negative, but does it really matter which one of these guys the Bills hire? The candidates with HC experience only had success because they had talent and most importantly they had top notch QBs. Wiz had Warner and Lovie had Cutler, both had multiple talented WRs.

In my opinion, the Bills need to find someone that will utilize CJ and has to be a master motivator. Maybe that's Kelly? Regardless, they have to find a legit QB. Do that and whomever they hire will be the next NFL HC genious. The bigger issue is where are they going to find that QB? Not in this years draft. None of these guys interviewing are going to win and turn this franchise around with Fitz. All these coaches are capable with the right QB in place. Miss on the QB and we'll right here 3 years from now.

Rex Grossman? Lovie had Rex Grossman................what?????????????? So confused as to what talented QB Lovie had when he had his greatest success

Edited by mob16151

why i want chip is for a breathe of fresh air...trying something new with the hottest coach in the ncaa behind saban...running a pretty new offensive scheme that runs over people quickly.....like what the bills innovated in the early 90's..no one was ready for us then....they were smart enough to try something new...you bring in lovie, whiz, or any other "experienced" nfl coach you're going to get the same ol offense same ol defense..blah blah blah blah...