Lovie Smith for HC!

rcatty

I'm so glad that Chip (rhymes with dip and that ain't hip) decided the Bills weren't good enough for him.

Believe it or not Lovie Smith is the very BEST HC that the Bills will have met with this weekend. As I've said many times, for the Bills to be successful they need to hire the HC who can bring the best HC/OC/DC/ST Coach combination to the table, NOT just a name HC. Lovie may be able to do just that. The added bonus that you could get with a veteran HC like Smith is that there is often a strong loyalty among the coaches and players that he has been assosicated with. that's something you're not gonna get with Chip (rhymes with Pipp, but he can't sing and surely can't dance).

Check out this potential scenario:

HC - L. Smith (proven veteran NFL HC; sustained success with the Bears; strong defensive-minded coach who learned under T. Dungy)

OC - N. Turner (veteran former long time NFL HC and also a long time NFL OC and play caller) OR H. Jackson (creative, well qualified NFL assistant; served as Oakland interim HC recently)

DC - Smith will hire coach who knows the 4-3 Tampa 2 defense. (That will allow Bills can build upon their existing 4-3 scheme. Could they add B. Urlacher as their new starting MLB??)

ST Coach - B. April (available). Add D. Hester??

What other players/coaches from the Bears may be willing to shuffle off to Buffalo with Lovie??

I beleive that L. Smith is easily the best HC candidate the bills have shown interest in thus far. He has the wherewithal to bring a proven NFL coaching staff and may be able to steal a player or two from the Bears because veteran players often show loyalty to a former coach that they have enjoyed playing for.

+1

I think the fact that he knows what the best fit for him is actually pretty important. He sought out the Bills over 5 other opportunities because he believes its the best place that he can succeed. That should give everyone the Fans, FO, and players something else to consider.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As critical as I've been of Lovie, I could be on board with this. The problem is that Lovie hasn't displayed the ability to suceed at #2 in his eight-year run with the Bears, so I'm not sure he can suddenly find a good one so easily.

The key is do not let him pick his OC.

The key is do not let him pick his OC.

I don't know so much if it was just about OC because Tice and Martz were both very successful in this league before. I think their GM was awful at drafting the oline. We are already set there. And by all accounts, Smith is very likable guy. Maybe he could get a guy like Norv Turner or some proven guy to work under him.

I think everybody here would have been excited if Martz had been named the Bills OC. A lot of people wanted him for HC.

Exactly. The problem is Martz' system called for the QB to hold the ball a long time and they had a terrible oline.

As much crap as Lovie gets about his offense, he had a pretty good offense with Rex freakin' Grossman. Mike Shanahan is considered an offensive genius and struggled to win 5 games with Grossman. And when you have a defense that forces a ton of turnovers, it makes your offense better.

We should hire Lovie! Buffalo loves mediocre coaches that make the post season 3 times in 9 years. Afterall, look how much we love Lindy Ruff.

Three times (with 3 division titles) in nine years with Super Bowl and Conference Championship appearances would represent a marked improvement. Would it not?

Lovie Smith as HC with either Hue Jackson or Fritz Shurmur as OC is really not an unattractive proposition whatsoever. Instant credibility on both sides of the ball.

Edited by eball

Lovie Smith as HC with either Hue Jackson or Fritz Shurmur as OC is really not an unattractive proposition whatsoever. Instant credibility on both sides of the ball.

I guess it's as good of an option that is out there. I mean...who is the "dream scenario"? It's not as clear cut as 3 years ago when they were putting up billboards for "The Chin". I care less about the coach than I do about the draft and resigning our key FAs. If we don't get that right, it nearly doesn't matter who the coach is.

1. HIRE LOVIE AS HC.

2. HIRE A GOOD OC.

3. DRAFT MATEO AS THE BILLS MLB IN THE 1ST ROUND.

4. DRAFT TYLER WILSON OR LANDRY JONES IN THE 2ND ROUND.

5. DRAFT A DECENT WR IN THE 3RD ROUND.

Who will be the Defensive Coordinator. I do not want the HC to also be coordinating the offense or defense.

I don't see Lovie as the Belichuk type strategic coach but more of a Marv Levy type stable leader. I do see him in Buffalo (IMO, as the odds on favorite to be hired) and I hope he brings in excellent technical coaches & co-ordinators who can make adjustments during season and in-game, very critical. I do see things coming together & much success here!

I think Lovie is the type of coach who may be able to build a successful defense against the new england juggernaut. He has been in their division so he had no need but he built the Tampa 2 because of the division he was in when he was in Tampa with Dungy.

And the first thing any coach should do, imo, is beat new england! When Marv got here his first goal was just beat Miami. If you build your team to beat new england, you can complete with anyone in the league.

C'mon people. Stop with the hype and look at the facts. We aren't getting Lovie. All signs point to Whisenhunt. We all know its true. And that's why I'm depressed today. Same old Bills

You are probably right and a stated in another thread they probably made up their mind before they started and are just going through the motions. However, the point of this thread is to talk up ... or down a specific candidate not complain about the FO ... lol well I guess you can do that here too. But there are plethora of other threads for that :rolleyes: .

I think his biggest strength is that he has coached teams to winning records, SB appearances and playoff wins with very poor QB play.

That's a major plus and fits the Bills quite well as whoever comes in to play QB is probably at best a Fitz equivalent for a year or two (I'm guessing a rookie). So you will need a very good defensive coach.

I'd be happy with Lovie. Players absolutely love him an I think he would fit Buffalo very well. Both the team and the city.

I think his biggest strength is that he has coached teams to winning records, SB appearances and playoff wins with very poor QB play.

That's a major plus and fits the Bills quite well as whoever comes in to play QB is probably at best a Fitz equivalent for a year or two (I'm guessing a rookie). So you will need a very good defensive coach.

I'd be happy with Lovie. Players absolutely love him an I think he would fit Buffalo very well. Both the team and the city.

Exhibit A: Damn near beat the Packers in the NFC Championship game with Caleb Hanie (Who?) at the helm after an injury to Cutler.