Buffalo News predicts: Nix, Gailey gone

In this morning's Buffalo News, Tim Graham, Mark Gaughan, and Jerry Sullivan are running with 4 articles (2 by Gaughan) that amount to a prediction and an advocacy that the Bills will clean house.

According to one Gaughan source outside the Bills, a full housecleaning is expected and the tone of the articles is that the firings are inevitable.

http://buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121230/SPORTS/121239936/two-bills-drive-1003

http://buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121230/SPORTS/121239937/two-bills-drive-1003'>http://buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121230/SPORTS/121239937/two-bills-drive-1003

http://buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121230/SPORTS/121239937/two-bills-drive-1003

http://buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121230/SPORTS/121239941/two-bills-drive

Nothing earth-shattering and many of the same discussions we've had here but interesting to read nonetheless.

Have no opinion on Nix, but if Wannstache's D had performed at just a mediocre level, we'd be fighting for a playoff spot. I think that guy has to go too.

What a shame. We all had such high expectations--in previous seasons it was just hope--and our team actually played worse than the previous year.

Have no opinion on Nix, but if Wannstache's D had performed at just a mediocre level, we'd be fighting for a playoff spot. I think that guy has to go too.

What a shame. We all had such high expectations--in previous seasons it was just hope--and our team actually played worse than the previous year.

agreed.

Even if they did not exactly meet our high hopes.

But record setting bad ?

Dave should excuse himself to bathroom and never return

See IMO, I don't think you can make that argument. The defense played well enough in a few games were the offense played terrible and did nothing. Who's to say that in the games that the defense played bad had they played good the offense would have put the same amount of points on the board. It could be when these other teams went ahead by a lot of points, their defenses played soft. Who knows? Maybe the only games you could argue are Tenn and the first NE game. But thats still only 2 more wins. Meaning 8-8.

The problems of the Bills go much deeper than just the defense IMO.

We are all quick to blame the coaches but I believe the real problem is with the lack of talent on this team. High expectations for very below average players on this team.

Draft 2013

LB...A MUST!

QB

WR

CB

S

Not in any particular order but this team has many many holes to fill.

We need to keep our nucleus, i think we have a good one to build on..

Get rid of Gailey,Wanny and Fitz ..Possibly Nix as well although i think he has drafted some solid players..

Use the #1 or #2 pick on a Qb and Lb!

We spent 100 million dollars and ton of draft picks to fix the defense and it is worst then it was...

They could have bought them selves another year by drafting kapernick or wilson but they shot them selves in the foot once again...

We need new leadership starting this week!!!

Edited by Ludwig van

We have some good players and we have some glaring holes. We have to take care of business in house and re-sign players like Byrd, Levitre, and maybe McKelvin. Nix I don't know about, but it would not make me any more or less excited if he were let go. Hopefully Whaley gets his shot. I see people clamoring for Polian, but I don't see that as very realistic. It would be nice if it happened, but it's a "pipe dream" at best. As far as the coaching staff goes? Wipe out everyone. They were the biggest hindrance to our team's success this year. Cut Fitz, Thigpen, Aaron Williams, Wilson, Anderson, and Barnett. Get ourselves a real QB, whether it be via trade or the draft. The main thing we need are people in the FO who can evaluate college talent and coaches who can do just that, coach.

As much as I like Gailey, after tanking down the stretch I'm just not sure how he can maintain credibility and inspire confidence among the players. I'd like to see Nix stick around, even if only for another year. Sure, he's made some mistakes, but I like the talent he's amassed and, aside from whiffing on Russel Wilson, I couldn't in foresight complain with many of his picks.

I actually wouldn't mind the stache sticking around for another season. Sure the first half was brutal, but the defense has played respectable football lately (with the exception of Sea, but those guys have been rolling over punks like a redneck trucker). It wouldn't break my heart if they flipped the whole staff, but I wouldn't be dissappointed to see the D get another shot either.

We are all quick to blame the coaches but I believe the real problem is with the lack of talent on this team. High expectations for very below average players on this team.

Draft 2013

LB...A MUST!

QB

WR

CB

S

Not in any particular order but this team has many many holes to fill.

But I remember in August when outlining expectations we had the best young corners in the entire league, and even you or I could play LB behind that d line? You mean you actually have to have good players across the board?

I'm also going to have to look up the stat I saw for spags - another 43, let the line do their thing style of coach - it amazed me that such a similarly seemingly simple defense had such a steep learning curve everywhere he's been (I'm talking the first 4-6 games of every team he's ever coordinated giving up an average of like 35-40+ points). It really surprised me. Though it sounds/looks simple there must be a degree of "deprogramming" that must go on or something.

We were awful but it added a little perspective watching 16 games from two similarly schemed defenses that each had fan bases screaming they were by far the worst in the history of the league.

One of the more telling lines from today's Buffalo News and one which some posters pointed out at the time to be a predictor of the Bills outlook:

"Edwards was one of Gailey's many assistants out of their depth. Gailey filled out his coaching staff with acquaintances from when he coached at Georgia Tech and was Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator.

Of the seven position coaches and three coordinators on Gailey's original Bills staff, seven had two or fewer years of NFL experience in their given roles. Four had zero seasons of NFL experience in those roles."

Define "full" house cleaning. If Russ, Littman, Oberdorf, Berchtold, Whaley, Nix are still there it means nothing.... same old stale status quo crap.

I think that is a very concise appraisal of the biggest reason for our continued failure. There seems to be too many men with some measure of control over the franchise, and the collective purpose does not seem to line up towards success.

One of the more telling lines from today's Buffalo News and one which some posters pointed out at the time to be a predictor of the Bills outlook:

"Edwards was one of Gailey's many assistants out of their depth. Gailey filled out his coaching staff with acquaintances from when he coached at Georgia Tech and was Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator.

Of the seven position coaches and three coordinators on Gailey's original Bills staff, seven had two or fewer years of NFL experience in their given roles. Four had zero seasons of NFL experience in those roles."

I think that's easily been Chans biggest failing. I think most successful teams catch the lightning in a bottle of having 3, 4, 5 guys in the room that go on to big nfl success. We don't have that at all from what I see (I know losing can hide those guys while winning gets them extra shots but....).