[please fix subject]David Caldwell

NoSaint

There is no one single way to build a football team.

Open your eyes and look around you.

I am sorry i have to disagree with you.

That kind of change has a huge bust potential. Doesn't anyone understand why the Polians were FIRED in Indy? Caldwell, A man born in Buffalo now possesses some kind of mythical connection with one of the worst franchises not only in the NFL but in professional sports? Zero experience at the GM level but he's the guy. Because he was born in B-Lo, and someone on this board has met him. Okay I'm sure Ralph will buy it then.

Ralph would buy it if Polian endorsed him. You can bet Ralph would give him a call.

Could Dave be a bust, sure, anyone can fail. I would rather take my chances with a good young guy who has been a part of two franchise turning around their losing ways. A guy who has sat in many talent evaluating meetings with Polian and Dimitrof and watched moves they made from the inside.

The fact he has ties to the city is neither a postive or a negative, it just is.

I have met him and that means nothing.

on paper he seems like a darn good candidate. As far as he has never been a GM anywhere, neither was Polian till he got the job with the Bills.

Instead of trying to poke holes in the Caldwell hire, give me someone better?

I am sorry i have to disagree with you.

Ralph would buy it if Polian endorsed him. You can bet Ralph would give him a call.

Could Dave be a bust, sure, anyone can fail. I would rather take my chances with a good young guy who has been a part of two franchise turning around their losing ways. A guy who has sat in many talent evaluating meetings with Polian and Dimitrof and watched moves they made from the inside.

The fact he has ties to the city is neither a postive or a negative, it just is.

I have met him and that means nothing.

on paper he seems like a darn good candidate. As far as he has never been a GM anywhere, neither was Polian till he got the job with the Bills.

Instead of trying to poke holes in the Caldwell hire, give me someone better?

Poke holes in the Caldwell "hire". What are you talking about? He's a topic of a thread on a fan forum rumor. But since you know him, and want someone "better" from me. Here it is. IF there is a change at GM. And if it is found out that Doug Whaley has been the architect of this joke of a team. Then that would eliminate him. If Whaley is seen by the owner as ready to go. And IF Nix is canned. Expect Doug Whaley to be the new GM.

@AlbertBreer

@caplannfl Caldwell's name has gained a lot of steam -- And his connection to the Polian family could help him land a job.

@caplannfl

If Falcons director of player personnel David Caldwell gets a GM job, don't be surprised to see him target 49ers OC Greg Roman as his HC.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

The San Francisco 49ers and the Seattle Seahawks disagree with you.

There is no "one way" to do anything in this world.

maybe the 49ers but not the Seahawks.They are where they are because they found a QB. Yes they have a good defense and good running backs. But with out Wilson they are probably on the outside looking in at the playoffs.

And there is one way to do many things in this world. You are wise enough to know that.

maybe the 49ers but not the Seahawks.They are where they are because they found a QB. Yes they have a good defense and good running backs. But with out Wilson they are probably on the outside looking in at the playoffs.

And there is one way to do many things in this world. You are wise enough to know that.

I agree that the reason the Seahawks are where they are is because of Russell Wilson.

But he's more of a final piece than a starting point.

The Seahawks have been a very solid team with good defense and running game for 3 years in a row. They made the playoffs in Pete Carroll's first year. Russell Wilson put them over the top as a final step, not a beginning step. He's the piece de resistance, the final piece in the puzzle.

As for wisdom, believing there is more than one way to do things is a wiser belief than believing that there's only one way to do things.

At least in my opinion.

Interesting - also has similar ties with Tom telesco (colts vp of football ops)

Didnt realize telesco also went to college with them and played on the same team as Caldwell, roman, and polian- interned with the bills while polian was there, got a job with the panthers then also moved on to Indy.

Bill polian (and his sons college football team) is quite the hot bed of guys that are about to take the next step in shaping the nfl.

That'd be an interesting story for a guy like Peter king to write - a bunch of 20 something teammates at a small school turning into major influential pieces in the nfl, and a story of the talent around that bills Super Bowl team due to bill polian that we never really knew. Successful culture really is built throughout the entire building, not just the locker room.

I know it's not groundbreaking but I find it a bit fascinating

They all went to St. Francis and were a year to two apart. I grew up with Dave, and have to say I'm ashamed to say I didn't even know he was here in Atlanta. Apparently, not only have I soured on the Bills, but my indifference has spread to other teams.

Obviously haven't seen or talked to him in years, but he always was a sharp guy.

They all went to St. Francis and were a year to two apart. I grew up with Dave, and have to say I'm ashamed to say I didn't even know he was here in Atlanta. Apparently, not only have I soured on the Bills, but my indifference has spread to other teams.

Obviously haven't seen or talked to him in years, but he always was a sharp guy.

didnt know it dated to high school.

id read 1000 words on cnnsi about the antics these three got into in HS and college. i think itd be an interesting look into the webs of the nfl.

I agree that the reason the Seahawks are where they are is because of Russell Wilson.

But he's more of a final piece than a starting point.

The Seahawks have been a very solid team with good defense and running game for 3 years in a row. They made the playoffs in Pete Carroll's first year. Russell Wilson put them over the top as a final step, not a beginning step. He's the piece de resistance, the final piece in the puzzle.

As for wisdom, believing there is more than one way to do things is a wiser belief than believing that there's only one way to do things.

At least in my opinion.

i do agree with you that Russell was placed on a solid team. Much like i think the Bills are a solid team. Give them a HC and QB and i think the Bills could be similar to the Seahawks.

As far as QB and the NFL goes i still hold firm you must have good QB play to be a winner. That is the only way to win consistently and make the playoffs. I am not saying you have to have Drew Brees or Brady, but a QB that can consistently make the right throw 80-90% of the time.

i do agree with you that Russell was placed on a solid team. Much like i think the Bills are a solid team. Give them a HC and QB and i think the Bills could be similar to the Seahawks.

As far as QB and the NFL goes i still hold firm you must have good QB play to be a winner. That is the only way to win consistently and make the playoffs. I am not saying you have to have Drew Brees or Brady, but a QB that can consistently make the right throw 80-90% of the time.

I'm just talking about the chicken vs egg thing ie- do you get the QB first or can you build a platform for him and get him last?

Maybe we were misunderstanding each other.

I'm just talking about the chicken vs egg thing ie- do you get the QB first or can you build a platform for him and get him last?

Maybe we were misunderstanding each other.

I get you. And yes i think your correct with the chicken and the egg.

The only problem with building the team is you are usually just good enough to take yourself out of position in the draft to get the first or second best QB...ie see the Bills the last decade.

Wilson is the exception to the rule. I mean a third round rookie QB coming in and pushing his team over the top? Wilson has made them one of the scariest teams entering the playoff, has that ever happened??

Here is hoping the Bills find their Russell Wilson.

Oh and i like Caldwell's chances at finding that guy better then Nix's!! Ha

Jay Glazer@JayGlazer

Jags owner Shad Khan today, under the radar, interviewed ATL Personnel Director Dave Caldwell for their GM job. Already had the interview!

Interesting... B-)

But not surprising...http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000118646/article/atlanta-falcons-david-caldwell-in-demand-for-open-gm-spots

Edited by KOKBILLS

Jay Glazer@JayGlazer

Jags owner Shad Khan today, under the radar, interviewed ATL Personnel Director Dave Caldwell for their GM job. Already had the interview!

Caldwell is a hot commodity:

@JayGlazer

Correction on Caldwell, Chargers and Jets, not Cardinals, have asked permission to interview him. Bills better move quickly if they want him.

Oh well...It was a nice thought while it lasted... ;)

Not directed at you.... But....

I feel like many are mistaking coaching/front office free agency for player free agency. Signings don't happen day one. Typically not day 2 either. It's a process for the week, not an immediate flash

Edited by NoSaint

Caldwell is a hot commodity:

@JayGlazer

Correction on Caldwell, Chargers and Jets, not Cardinals, have asked permission to interview him. Bills better move quickly if they want him.

That looks like an entirely different project in itself. They still need to fire Nix. But, don't worry, I'm sure Caldwell has already forgot about the Jags already. I know because I had a beer with his sister's roommate's brother 13 years ago.

Not directed at you.... But....

I feel like many are mistaking coaching/front office free agency for player free agency. Signings don't happen day one. Typically not day 2 either. It's a process for the week, not an immediate flash

True. Coaches don't typically **** themselves the way players and their agent do at the mere mention of boatloads of cash. That is, money's not the #1 deciding factor with coaches/GMs.

Edited by kas23

That looks like an entirely different project in itself. They still need to fire Nix. But, don't worry, I'm sure Caldwell has already forgot about the Jags already. I know because I had a beer with his sister's roommate's brother 13 years ago.

True. Coaches don't typically **** themselves the way players and their agent do at the mere mention of boatloads of cash.

Their boatloads come from longterm success. Building a career vs a one time signing bonus.

Nature of the beast.

Or is he waiting for the Bills to make a decision??

Could be...If it's true that Caldwell really wants to come to Buffalo, my guess is they know it...And he already knows if the interest is mutual...That's what Agents are for... B-)

Could be...If it's true that Caldwell really wants to come to Buffalo, my guess is they know it...And he already knows if the interest is mutual...That's what Agents are for... B-)

who is saying he wants to come here?

And in fact, is Caldwell any better of an heir-apparent than Doug Whaley?

Whaleys not from buffalo. Caldwell would understand the need to set up the nassib-Roosevelt passing attack in 2013, while Whaley probably just wants to get the best guy available - whadda bum.

Seriously though, from the outside, it's 100% impossible for a fan to have any meaningful opinion between the two right now.

good for caldwell. bit of a tough spot, but it looks like the owner will spend... hopefully he wont get to involved in decisions and public spats with players though.

Wonder if they addressed the Tebow issue. Hopefully Caldwell had the stones to tell the owner NFW that I take the job if you force him on me.

Wonder if they addressed the Tebow issue. Hopefully Caldwell had the stones to tell the owner NFW that I take the job if you force him on me.

we will see - an aggressive owner can be a gift and a curse. itd be a shame if caldwell wasted his first shot on a bad situation.