RIP Stormin Norman Schwarzkopf

/dev/null

RIP. He was the first big time general of my era (31 yo).

edit: correct me if I am wrong, but he only has 1 star on? Was he only a 1 star general?

There's at least two more partially hidden in his collar from that photo that I can make out.

Wait, here's an idea, lets check Google....

Several sites report him as a 4-star General.

IIRC both he and Powell (then Chairman of the Joint Chiefs) were both 4 stars. After the First Gulf War there was talk of making them 5 Stars, which would have put them among the ranks of Grant, Ike, and MacArthur

The fifth star was a political move in WWII, so that American theater commanders weren't outranked by their British subordinates (e.g. Ike, as a four-star, would have been outranked by Montgomery, a Field Marshal under his command.)

Between that, and the fact that Schwarzkopf was an honestly ****ty general, it was ludicrous to offer him a fifth star to begin with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_duty_United_States_four-star_officers

Looked this up last night. Pretty interesting that most of us have never heard of these guys. Also strange to me is the Assistant Secretary of Health is a 4 star General? I mean, really?

Nonetheless, it is impressive how some of these guys started as enlisted soldiers. I would think many started off silver spoon in hand, or a military academy to say the least.

The fifth star was a political move in WWII, so that American theater commanders weren't outranked by their British subordinates (e.g. Ike, as a four-star, would have been outranked by Montgomery, a Field Marshal under his command.)

Between that, and the fact that Schwarzkopf was an honestly ****ty general, it was ludicrous to offer him a fifth star to begin with.

How did your plan for the invasion of Iraq differ from Schwarzopf's?

RIP General.

He said that he felt fated to head an American army in a battle decisive to the nation one day.

A little known fact about him is his father was the superintendent of the NJ State Police and headed the Lindbergh kidnapping investigation. He (Sr.) also had a key role the installation of the Shah of Iran in the 50s.