new, great tasting (to me) type of lemon

birdog1960

i guess Meyer lemons have been around for a while but we had em for the first time this Christmas (one of our guests drinks martinis and we wanted to be prepared).. apparently they're a chinese hybrid mix of mandarin orange and lemon. i like sea breezes and they totally changed the flavor of that drink for the better. bet they would be awesome in the summer in lemonade or over a fish dish. anybody else tried em?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did you get a matching skirt to go along with it??? :nana:

i guess Meyer lemons have been around for a while but we had em for the first time this Christmas (one of our guests drinks martinis and we wanted to be prepared).. apparently they're a chinese hybrid mix of mandarin orange and lemon. i like sea breezes and they totally changed the flavor of that drink for the better. bet they would be awesome in the summer in lemonade or over a fish dish. anybody else tried em?

nope. the wife always makes fun of me for drinking things that should come with a paper umbrella. but i'm old enough to like what i like without concern.

So you're saying you already had the matching skirt?

I'm just kidding, but Pooj was serious. He's a beer drinking sot and shouldn't be taken seriously.

I probably haven't tried them since I just grab whatever lemon the grocery store has stacked out. I'm a cheap sumbitch.

So you're saying you already had the matching skirt?

I'm just kidding, but Pooj was serious. He's a beer drinking sot and shouldn't be taken seriously.

I probably haven't tried them since I just grab whatever lemon the grocery store has stacked out. I'm a cheap sumbitch.

Same here! I didn't even know that there were different kinds of lemons. I thought a lemon was a lemon... And that is what I usually get in life! :D

Same here! I didn't even know that there were different kinds of lemons. I thought a lemon was a lemon... And that is what I usually get in life! :D

so did i and i think most people do but these are worth trying. i think there must be some marketing push for them as they were out front at sam's then were in some magazine ad and then were brought home by my wife. i'm wondering what they'd do to a blue moon...hmmm, maybe tonight after work.

so did i and i think most people do but these are worth trying. i think there must be some marketing push for them as they were out front at sam's then were in some magazine ad and then were brought home by my wife. i'm wondering what they'd do to a blue moon...hmmm, maybe tonight after work.

That is awesome! I am actually gonna look for them! We always stock up on Cuties/Clementines around Christmas too!

when did they start calling them cuties...i saw commercials for cuties this year for the first time...i had always heard them called clementines....

That is awesome! I am actually gonna look for them! We always stock up on Cuties/Clementines around Christmas too!

when did they start calling them cuties...i saw commercials for cuties this year for the first time...i had always heard them called clementines....

I am not sure?

Aren't clementines from Spain? Cuties Cali? Is this a whole sparkling wine v. Champagne thing.

But like Beerball said, it is a brand...

EDIT: Ooops, made the IL reference if anybody caught it before my edit!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

They're big out here in CA. We actually have a Meyer lemon tree in our front yard with a huge crop that will be ready in January. I've already have some that I'm preserving. They are so good!

LOL. not so sure though. i've heard it said that the perfect size fits in a martini glass. never been a believer in that.

I heard a joke a long time ago that in France they say the perfect breast fits a champagne glass. In the Bronx it'll clog a toilet.

They're big out here in CA. We actually have a Meyer lemon tree in our front yard with a huge crop that will be ready in January. I've already have some that I'm preserving. They are so good!

I heard a joke a long time ago that in France they say the perfect breast fits a champagne glass. In the Bronx it'll clog a toilet.

Speaking of preserving them (lemons)... I was watching something on PBS (I think)... In Morocco or Algeria... They were drying them:

Kinda like this?

http://www.chefzadi.com/2005/08/preserved_lemon.html

Looked intersting. Is this what you mean by preserving them?

Speaking of preserving them (lemons)... I was watching something on PBS (I think)... In Morocco or Algeria... They were drying them:

Kinda like this?

http://www.chefzadi.com/2005/08/preserved_lemon.html

Looked intersting. Is this what you mean by preserving them?

Yes you just pack them in salt. I added some middle eastern spices and jalapeños.

**** I'll have so much of that stuff I'll be putting preserved lemon in my scrambled eggs. But yes, I'll probably do a tagine though I don't have the proper pot to cook it in. I love the spicy North African food.

The proper vessel is kind of a pain unless you're making moroccan every week. Got one for Xmas last year and used it a handful of times, but now its been a few months and needs to be resoaked in water, and retreated before use. Constantly scared that the tagine is going to break if I try to get it hot enough to sear the meat first after all the horror stories I've read. Usually finish meat off under the broiler to render out the excess fat and get a nice crust. My dutch oven, however, produces reasonably similar results and its worry free.