The Helmet That Can Save Football

CodeMonkey

K-9, We'll probably have to agree to disagree.

However my last word is that this technology that they're studying in Sweden and which is being implemented in hockey helmets takes some blows and reduces the impact of those blows.

From reading the piece it seems that they are saying that impacts come from all angles. I agree with you that in a direct impact, no helmet is going to have the ability to protect the brain.

But with many blows which aren't direct (but which still result in a concussion) the technology attempts to lessen the force of those impacts. If the helmet can lessen the force of some impacts, it can certainly reduce the concussion rate.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

K-9, We'll probably have to agree to disagree.

However my last word is that this technology that they're studying in Sweden and which is being implemented in hockey helmets takes some blows and reduces the impact of those blows.

From reading the piece it seems that they are saying that impacts come from all angles. I agree with you that in a direct impact, no helmet is going to have the ability to protect the brain.

But with many blows which aren't direct (but which still result in a concussion) the technology attempts to lessen the force of those impacts. If the helmet can lessen the force of some impacts, it can certainly reduce the concussion rate.

On the agreement of agreeing to disagree we are in complete agreement.

I'm a huge advocate of the electronic helmets that can send data to the sidelines immediately. More than any helmet improvement to come, keeping a player out of the game after he sutstains even the most minor of brain trauma will dramatically reduce the recurrence.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

What is interesting is one poster's take. Why are helmets hard shelled?... They just studied that leather helmets are just as good as stopping impact than the modern helmets! Actually, a bit better! Really... Why don't they make the outside of the helmet soft to absorb some of the blow. True, modern helmets and masks stop a lot of the nasty cuts and broken noses.

Also... A poster made the reference to rugby how it is even more vicious than American football... Yet, they use minimum protection and have better results.

Why make more insulating equipment and encourage more violent and dangerous play?

Helmets are slick so that when 2 helmets collide, they slide off of each other with little resistance. If helmets were soft, when they collide with anything, there’d be a better chance that they’ll kind of grip rather than glance off each other and that would put a lot more strain on the neck.

I agree that there is currently not and probably never will be a helmet that completely eliminates concussions. The best we’ll ever be able to do is reduce the risk.

I played Rugby for 3 years/6 semesters while in college. I saw very few concussions over that time and all but 1 were due to the player that got hurt going about things the wrong way; like going into a scrum with your head down or not making a form tackle. The 1 exception was a guy that got tackled and his head hit the frozen ground really hard. I never had a concussion while playing rugby but had at least 3, probably more, playing football. Plus in rugby, if you just launch yourself or lower your shoulder into an opponent rather than making a proper form tackle, it’s a penalty on you. You have to wrap the player up and take them to the ground. You have a different mentality when your head and face are exposed. I’ve posted on TSW before, if you want to reduce the number head injuries from the NFL, remove face masks and adopt the rugby rules on tackling which require the defender to wrap up the ball carrier and take them down. No more lowering your shoulder and running through someone.

No Helmets = No Using your head to tackle anymore....

Unfortunately, no helmets also means exponential increase in the number of skull fractures, cuts, contusions, etc. That's why they developed hard shell helmets to begin with. I can't imagine today's players and the forces they bring to bear playing without helmets. There would be deaths on the field. Kinda like in the olden days.

GO BILLS!!!

As in most instances in the real real world, a proper solution is likely a combination of measures. Why not include the technology to measure impacts in real time, along with improved helmet design to lessen blows and decrease their weight, along with replacing helmets after the technology registers a certain level of impact, along with in-game penalty enforcement, along with a few other things we haven't all thought of yet?

An integrated approach actually addressing the problem from multiple angles seems more rational and sensiible than stupid ideas like eliminating kickoffs to reduce the number of hits. The goal should not be to make the game "safe" or eliminate all concussions, it should be to reduce the risk of concussion and preventing as many injuries as reasonable while still preserving the integrity of the game. Because the only way to eliminate all concussions is to stop playing the game.

As in most instances in the real real world, a proper solution is likely a combination of measures. Why not include the technology to measure impacts in real time, along with improved helmet design to lessen blows and decrease their weight, along with replacing helmets after the technology registers a certain level of impact, along with in-game penalty enforcement, along with a few other things we haven't all thought of yet?

An integrated approach actually addressing the problem from multiple angles seems more rational and sensiible than stupid ideas like eliminating kickoffs to reduce the number of hits. The goal should not be to make the game "safe" or eliminate all concussions, it should be to reduce the risk of concussion and preventing as many injuries as reasonable while still preserving the integrity of the game. Because the only way to eliminate all concussions is to stop playing the game.

I'm a huge believer in the idea that many problems are of the type that can be solved with more than one solution.

However I was only discussing the issue of helmet design.

But you make a good point.

I'm a huge believer in the idea that many problems are of the type that can be solved with more than one solution.

However I was only discussing the issue of helmet design.

But you make a good point.

I see your point to be similar to the OPs linked article, in that new helmet designs can help prevent some concussions. IMO, that's not trivial at all and you'd think the NFL would be all over it.

But, I also agree with K-9, no single design will preent all concussion and there are other things that can be done to help prevent concussions as well. Hence, my suggestion of incorporating several new approaches that when combined may very decrease the risk of concussion.

I hate when people make the silly human on a moon comment. Take a closer look how we got there, we left a trail of junk on what was generally separate one shot deals. What, are players going to be changing helmets after every hit? Same thing w/climbing Everest, the place is a huge garbage dump! What I am saying is that there are so many constraints on the equation. The point is not just getting there. Helmets are more than a one shot deal.

And none of that external mitigation does anything to prevent the brain from accelerating within the skull. Sooner or later the skull has to stop and it's nice that it can come to rest upon a nice soft membrane inside the helmet, but the brain is still accelerating at the same speed. Unfortunately, the inside of your skull doesn't have the same type of shock absorbing capability that the new and improved helmet has. There will be some improvement in mitigating linear acceleration injuries, but none in those as a result of rotational acceleration inside the skull.

It really is pretty much a black and white issue. Particularly where repeat concussions are concerned. Even in the world of modern technology.

GO BILLS!!!

I wish you had taken the time to read the article in the OP before commenting on this subject.

I have to agree with San Jose Bills Fan on this one.

Given the fines handed out for wearing the wrong shoes (RGIII), I really doubt it.

As long as it it painted the right way, I see many different helmet brands on players now.

I really don't think the players have shown, as a group any real desire for improved safety. Look at the support of the bounty hunters in NO. Witness the "pussification" of the game, according to players like Harrison. See a retired player calling for the Cowboys to take a few roughing the passer penalty shots on RG3 this weekend. Another admitting he played in a way as to allow his QB to be injured enough to removed from the game.

I wish you had taken the time to read the article in the OP before commenting on this subject.

I have to agree with San Jose Bills Fan on this one.

You wish I had read the article? I read it last week. It does nothing to change my opinion. There will never be a device invented that can prevent the brain from moving inside the skull. Nor will any helmet EVER prevent concussions caused by blows to the shoulder, neck, or chin. Mips helmets is a leader in the field but this is their first foray into football helmet technology. They offer promise to better mitigate the risks. But it's mitigation vs. prevention. And like other manufacturers before them, I am highly skeptical of their claims. Further fueling my cynicism is the amount of research dollars funding these projects. Concussion-preventing helmets is a very popular (read: lucrative) business these days.

There are dozens of articles out there in the medical community regarding the subject. I've yet to see one quote by a single medical professional stating helmets can do anything to prevent concussions.

It's a simple matter of physics, really.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

No, but a helmet can dampen the impact that causes the brain to slap the inside of the skull.

You do know that you can get a concussion without even hitting you head, right? As K-9 pointed out, taking a shoulder, chest, back blow may have some sort of whiplash effect and cause a concussion. It is the old physics saying, an object in motion tends to stay in motion. The only thing that stops the brain is the skull, not a helmet.

And none of that external mitigation does anything to prevent the brain from accelerating within the skull. Sooner or later the skull has to stop and it's nice that it can come to rest upon a nice soft membrane inside the helmet, but the brain is still accelerating at the same speed. Unfortunately, the inside of your skull doesn't have the same type of shock absorbing capability that the new and improved helmet has. There will be some improvement in mitigating linear acceleration injuries, but none in those as a result of rotational acceleration inside the skull.

It really is pretty much a black and white issue. Particularly where repeat concussions are concerned. Even in the world of modern technology.

GO BILLS!!!

K9:

> Sooner or later the skull has to stop and it's nice that it can come to rest upon a nice soft membrane

> inside the helmet, but the brain is still accelerating at the same speed. Unfortunately, the inside of

> your skull doesn't have the same type of shock absorbing capability that the new and improved

> helmet has. There will be some improvement in mitigating linear acceleration injuries, but none

> in those as a result of rotational acceleration inside the skull.

From page 5 of the article:

> First up in Halldin’s test is the non-MIPS helmet. . . . I can see on the computer that the head sustained

> about 170 Gs of linear force, and it rotated 14,100 radians per second squared (the standard scientific

> metric for rotation). It’s a big hit, one that would probably result in a concussion or worse. . . .

> Now comes the second helmet. Every variable is the same as in the first test except for the addition

> of the low-friction MIPS layer. . . . This time the computer shows rotation of 6,400 radians per second

> squared, a 55 percent reduction.

From the description on page 4:

> With MIPS, the rubber straps allow the helmet to move just a bit relative to the sliding, low friction head

> cap, thereby eliminating much of the twisting motion before it reaches the brain.

A sliding, low friction surface can definitely reduce radial force. For example: imagine yourself opening a twist cap. You just applied a radial force. But if a layer of grease was applied between your fingers and the twist cap, your ability to impart a radial force to the twist cap would be greatly reduced. At least in theory, that's the same concept the Swedish designers of the helmet are using to reduce radial forces traveling to players' brains. A portion of the radial force is being expended via the motion between the outer helmet and the head cap.

K9:

> Sooner or later the skull has to stop and it's nice that it can come to rest upon a nice soft membrane

> inside the helmet, but the brain is still accelerating at the same speed. Unfortunately, the inside of

> your skull doesn't have the same type of shock absorbing capability that the new and improved

> helmet has. There will be some improvement in mitigating linear acceleration injuries, but none

> in those as a result of rotational acceleration inside the skull.

From page 5 of the article:

> First up in Halldin’s test is the non-MIPS helmet. . . . I can see on the computer that the head sustained

> about 170 Gs of linear force, and it rotated 14,100 radians per second squared (the standard scientific

> metric for rotation). It’s a big hit, one that would probably result in a concussion or worse. . . .

> Now comes the second helmet. Every variable is the same as in the first test except for the addition

> of the low-friction MIPS layer. . . . This time the computer shows rotation of 6,400 radians per second

> squared, a 55 percent reduction.

From the description on page 4:

> With MIPS, the rubber straps allow the helmet to move just a bit relative to the sliding, low friction head

> cap, thereby eliminating much of the twisting motion before it reaches the brain.

A sliding, low friction surface can definitely reduce radial force. For example: imagine yourself opening a twist cap. You just applied a radial force. But if a layer of grease was applied between your fingers and the twist cap, your ability to impart a radial force to the twist cap would be greatly reduced. At least in theory, that's the same concept the Swedish designers of the helmet are using to reduce radial forces traveling to players' brains. A portion of the radial force is being expended via the motion between the outer helmet and the head cap.

Let me know when you can introduce that layer of grease between the brain and the inside of your skull. The external radial force is not the issue. It's the rotational acceleration of the brain inside the skull.

GO BILLS!!!

Let me know when you can introduce that layer of grease between the brain and the inside of your skull. The external radial force is not the issue. It's the rotational acceleration of the brain inside the skull.

GO BILLS!!!

The point I (and I think EA) are trying to make is that the helmet is designed to reduce (to stay consistent with the terms you used) the external radial force.

Thus in some cases, it will reduce the rotational acceleration of the brain which is caused by the external radial force.

That's what the helmet is designed to do.

The one thing no helmet can do (unless it was encased in 6" of Swedish memory foam) is to reduce the sudden acceleration and sudden deceleration of a direct hit.

Cause and effect.

The point I (and I think EA) are trying to make is that the helmet is designed to reduce (to stay consistent with the terms you used) the external radial force.

Thus in some cases, it will reduce the rotational acceleration of the brain which is caused by the external radial force.

That's what the helmet is designed to do.

The one thing no helmet can do (unless it was encased in 6" of Swedish memory foam) is to reduce the sudden acceleration and sudden deceleration of a direct hit.

Cause and effect.

In the test referenced, is there ANY disclaimer that the forces reduced by 55% WEREN'T sufficient to cause a concussion in someone? Anyone? The forces to produce a concussion vary from person to person depending on a whole host of variables. A major concussion can still be sustained even at the reduced forces. And that's just in sustaining the initial concussion. Successive concussions will be sustained at lesser and lesser forces as the rate of recurrence increases.

I've yet to be swayed by anything a football helmet manufacturer says about their product.

Let's just get back to agreeing to disagree.

GO BILLS!!!