The Helmet That Can Save Football

CodeMonkey

In the test referenced, is there ANY disclaimer that the forces reduced by 55% WEREN'T sufficient to cause a concussion in someone? Anyone? The forces to produce a concussion vary from person to person depending on a whole host of variables. A major concussion can still be sustained even at the reduced forces. And that's just in sustaining the initial concussion. Successive concussions will be sustained at lesser and lesser forces as the rate of recurrence increases.

I've yet to be swayed by anything a football helmet manufacturer says about their product.

Let's just get back to agreeing to disagree.

GO BILLS!!!

> In the test referenced, is there ANY disclaimer that the forces reduced by 55% WEREN'T sufficient to cause a concussion in someone?

Isn't it better to reduce the forces by 55% than to not reduce them at all?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> In the test referenced, is there ANY disclaimer that the forces reduced by 55% WEREN'T sufficient to cause a concussion in someone?

Isn't it better to reduce the forces by 55% than to not reduce them at all?

Of course it is. And any knuckle head would agree.

But the point is that even that 55% reduction in force won't prevent everyone from getting a concussion. Especially those that have previously sustained one.

GO BILLS!!!

But the point is that even that 55% reduction in force won't prevent everyone from getting a concussion. Especially those that have previously sustained one.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

Yes, but it can prevent some concussions in some instances, depending on the individual, the force of the hit, etc.

No one's saying it's a panacea or a magic bullet.

If the new helmet can reduce the incidence of concussion compared to existing helmets, then the technology is progressing. That's all we can ask for.

Yes, but it can prevent some concussions in some instances, depending on the individual, the force of the hit, etc.

If the new helmet can reduce the incidence of concussion compared to existing helmets, then the technology is progressing. That's all we can ask for.

> If the new helmet can reduce the incidence of concussion compared to existing helmets, then the technology is progressing.

Agreed. And it's not just about reducing the incidence of concussions. It's about reducing the total quantity of brain trauma a player receives over the course of his career.

That said, I agree with those who have pointed out that there are limits to what technology can do to reduce brain trauma. On the one hand, technological advances to helmet technology can and should be pushed as far as possible. On the other hand, I suspect that the most serious reductions in brain trauma will not occur until rules changes are made. The one gentleman who suggested that tackling rules be changed to make them more rugby-like may well be right.

> If the new helmet can reduce the incidence of concussion compared to existing helmets, then the technology is progressing.

Agreed. And it's not just about reducing the incidence of concussions. It's about reducing the total quantity of brain trauma a player receives over the course of his career.

That said, I agree with those who have pointed out that there are limits to what technology can do to reduce brain trauma. On the one hand, technological advances to helmet technology can and should be pushed as far as possible. On the other hand, I suspect that the most serious reductions in brain trauma will not occur until rules changes are made. The one gentleman who suggested that tackling rules be changed to make them more rugby-like may well be right.

There are numerous theorists in many sports who believe that the "improvements" in protective equipment is at the root of the increasing violence and injury rate.

I believe that there is probably a lot of truth to this.

I've always been in favor of rule changes that make the game safer for the players. I've never complained about one single recent rule change and players who do complain are morons.

However I've argued in the past that reducing the degree of protection (ie- taking helmets and visors away from hockey players, going back to leather helmets in football) is something that simply cannot be done.

While ultimately you might get from Point A (too many injuries) to Point B (fewer injuries) the carnage that would occur during the time period between those two points would be too costly. I doubt that players would be able to learn new techniques and methods quickly enough and at any rate, the league's lawyers would never allow it.

So IMO those people advocating for lesser or less protective equipment are not entertaining a realistic scenario.

I'll be willing to bet that if and when Mips brings their football helmet to market, there won't be ANY words coming even REMOTELY CLOSE to making this claim.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll be willing to bet that if and when Mips brings their football helmet to market, there won't be ANY words coming even REMOTELY CLOSE to making this claim.

GO BILLS!!!

Of course not. For one thing, by making claims like that helmet manufacturers actually open themselves up to liability.

Plus there are things that can't be proven.

But if people start seeing very promising lab results on this or any other product it could help to improve equipment. Besides making a buck, that's what these researchers are trying to do. Evolve in the right direction.