How much of the OL will change in the off-season

LabattBlue

I think the only two givens are Villarial at RG and Williams at RT. LT, LG & OC could all be changed around. I believe Jennings will be gone in FA as somebody will be willing to throw huge dollars his way. Possible scenarios(RG & RT stay the same, so they are not listed)....

LT Teague

LG UFA or Draft

C Tucker

LT UFA or Draft

LG Tucker

C Teague

LT Teague

LG UFA or Draft

C UFA or Draft

I'm hoping that even if they change positions that Teague and Tucker stay in the starting lineup as they have worked with McNally for a year and know his scheme.

Any opinions on how this will play out?

[edit]I forgot about Price. I believe he is also a UFA. I'm not sure where he fits?

Jennings, Tucker, Teague, Villarial, Williams

If it aint broke... don't fix it.

It's not broke, it don't need fixing, just continuous improvement. I can't grumble about the quality of OL play after the run we had down the stretch.

I also completely disagree about the idea you put forward for Trey Teague. Hes was sonsistently our best OL this season and really showed what the $2m roster bonus was for. He is clearly benefitting from proper OL coaching from McNally and we should not seek to disrupt the middle of the OL again this offseason.

LT is a problem if we can't get Jennings back - but a more viable option is to have Mike Williams move back to Left Tackle as was the original intention when we signed him.

Tucker has GOT to be in the starting lineup next season. He really impresses me and look to gave great upside as a LG. Additionally - and this is not intended as a racisit comment so don't take it as one - but how cool would it be to have 3 white guys in the middle of our line? I love white OL-men... Makes me think of them swilling beers in a bar with sawdust on the floor and heavy metal on the jukebox...

No matter what 2004 starters are around next year, we need much better DEPTH in the offensive line. That may have been the single biggest problem for the team in 2004. The subs came in and straight out stunk.

I agree with Nick. However, I think the weakest position on our OL is depth. Really, aside from Price, who else do we have at backup? I think it was clear in the Pittsburgh game that once CV went down, our OL crumbled to peices (he was hurt at the start of the game, and it showed). We need someone who can be plugged in and knows how to block, at least a little bit.

That said, I think Jennings is gone so we'll need a replacement there. Price, if we resign him, could probably handle it. I'm not sure moving MW to LT is a good or not; I'm not sure how interchangable those skills are.

EDIT: Dammit, now it looks like I stole scribbo's idea! I was typing it at the same time he did, honest. :D

CW

I love OL posts!! :P

MW was an LT in college, and dominant at that too. Maybe he has turned into a roadgrading RT more than a pass blocking LT, so the move isn't 100% great, but I think warrants as much consuderation as trying to go with Price at LT.

Depth is going to be crucial for sure, which is why the coaches had up to 13 Tackles in camp this year... Clearly they saw a need to work out as many guys as possible...

Jason Peters could be an option if he can handle it, but only for depth at Tackle... I think he's a TE in a OL body and as such may not be cut out for full-time NFL OL play.

I for one don't think that Jennings will be gone... So all of that is moot. :D

OL depth has been a problem for 3 years running yet the last two drafts, the only picks used on OL were Sobieski in the 5th round of 2003 & McFarland in the 7th round of 2004. Unless there is a plan to address this need in FA, we have to use higher picks(2nd & 3rd) for OL upgrades.

No matter what 2004 starters are around next year, we need much better DEPTH in the offensive line. That may have been the single biggest problem for the team in 2004. The subs came in and straight out stunk.

194150[/snapback]

Truer words were never spoken.

I am looking at Teague, Tucker, Free Agent, CV, and Big Mike. We might also see a FA at LG, or perhaps a top pick.

I for one do not ever see Big Mike at LT, but this is jmo.

MW was an LT in college, and dominant at that too. Maybe he has turned into a roadgrading RT more than a pass blocking LT, so the move isn't 100% great, but I think warrants as much consuderation as trying to go with Price at LT.

Depth is going to be crucial for sure, which is why the coaches had up to 13 Tackles in camp this year... Clearly they saw a need to work out as many guys as possible...

Jason Peters could be an option if he can handle it, but only for depth at Tackle... I think he's a TE in a OL body and as such may not be cut out for full-time NFL OL play.

194168[/snapback]

Nick, MW was in fact a RT in college, but for a left handed qb.

The current OL is constructed wrong. On defense the big guys are in the middle and the fast guys are on the outside. I would love to see

LT - Teague

LG - Williams

C - Jennings

RG - Villarial

RT - Fill in the blanks FA, etc.

Now there's some beef up the middle to handle the big tackles. Teague is a gamer but doesn't quite have enough lead to handle the good, big tackle.

Ok y'all - hold yer horses.

Teague was our best OL for the most of the year. Why replace him?? And a Teague for Tucker switch seems a little crazy to me, I haven't seen any evidence that Tucker can do a better job at C than Teague. On the other hand, Tucker performed well at LG, thus it makes most sense to put him in there and not mess about with the partnerships built up on the right between CV and MW.

We have a shot to take our good line into next season unchanges in personnel but improved through coaching and another year of playing together.... What's more important than that for an OL?

Yep. It was one of the reasons I was skeptical about the pick. Has another RT ever gone this high? I can't remember one.

194223[/snapback]

Wow. I didn't know that at all.

Just found a great and very telling article on Big Ol Mike from just before the draft...

Mike WIlliams

Nunez stopped short of calling Williams’ personality a weakness, though he anticipates Williams encountering his share of struggles in the early days of his NFL career.
Good call or what?? :D

194168[/snapback]

Actually Williams was a right tackle at Texas, and he was dominant.

I like the option of Peters at OL for depth also. He will need 2-3 more years to really develop, but he does have a lot of upside.

I hope you are right about Jennings being here next year! Changing personel every year on the OL never works well. Look how much our line improved as the season went on. We need to come right out the gate strong next year, and keeping the OL together would go a LONG way to help us achieve that. That being said I think Jennings is going to get big, Big, BIG money as a FA and I doubt the Bills will pay him that much.

I think the only certainties are Villarail at RG and Williams at RT. If we lose Jennings, I hope TD improves the LT position with a free agent signing. I believe we need to upgrade the LG spot either through the draft or free agency. I am assuming that Teague will continue at center unless he is needed (and shows he can still play) at LT.

Clearly, we need depth, particularly since I think Price is also a free agent. I don't think Pucillo will make the team next year if we bring in some draft picks and/or free agents.

I think im alone here, but i really think that we should let jennings go. He will command big bucks. He says he wants to be here, but we all know that he also wants to go to Atlanta. Pat wants to be here, we all know that. I think we should move MW to left tackle, try it, and make the dependable Marcus Price our right tackle. In free agency, lets see who we can sign, whos released etc. Perhaps we can draft someone.

Ultimately Mcnally is the person who evaluates this talent, but in my own opinion, as important as a left tackle is, I think Mcnally can do something about it.

194150[/snapback]

No revelation there, about the Bill's lack of OL depth. Known for some time. TD dazzles the hoi polloi with whoopie picks like Losman, McGahee, and Evans, and fills the stands.

I wish folks would realize just what a con man he is.

I think im alone here, but i really think that we should let jennings go. He will command big bucks. He says he wants to be here, but we all know that he also wants to go to Atlanta. Pat wants to be here, we all know that. I think we should move MW to left tackle, try it, and make the dependable Marcus Price our right tackle. In free agency, lets see who we can sign, whos released etc. Perhaps we can draft someone.

Ultimately Mcnally is the person who evaluates this talent, but in my own opinion,  as important as a left tackle is, I think Mcnally can do something about it.

194258[/snapback]

No you're not alone. I too want Jennings gone, unless he will sign for less than 1 million per year.

I would love to sign a top tier LT. I am also interested to see if William is ready to move there, and somehow move up and draft a stud RT (not sure who is available), who can start right away.

I also want a solid LG to be signed.

Leave Teague at Center if we must, but even an upgrade there would be okay with me.

Looking over the free agent to be list, there isn't much there at OT. Aside from Jennings the best OT on the market might be Kareem McKenzie of the Jets but he's a RT. Although they're listed, I don't count Walter Jones or Orlando Pace as viable options as have no reason to believe that they will not be franchised by their respective teams. Unless the Seahawks choose to franchise Shaun Alexander (Hasselbeck is due to be an UFA too but don't see him worthy of the tag).

I posted more thoughts on this topic in another thread.

i don't see teague as our LT, Price as an every week starter, or us paying Jennings price so we'll need a new LT and the rest of the OLine will stay the same:

LT - ???

LG - Tucker

C - Teague

RG - Villarial

RT - Williams

we'll definitely need depth. price may not be back next year so there's a big gaping hole at backup tackle. the rest of our backups don't impress me much

How's about Tait?

He is a big improvement over Jonas, still young and while he play RT, can easily slide to the left side. Let him and Big Mike battle for the LT spot and the other stays on the right side.

BTW is Woody a FA again this year? If so, that would be nice for our LG.

I was just looking at Kiper's draft board. After watching The Orange run the ball this year, I wouldn't mind this guy:

Adam Terry, OT, Syracuse (6-7½, 310)

Last game: Syracuse rushed for 309 yards in a 43-17 win at Boston College

One of the most outstanding athletes at the tackle position in college football. Terry runs a 5.15 in the 40 and is a smart fifth-year senior with 33 career starts under his belt. He is a bit of a finesse player but will continue to develop and become a solid all-around tackle, and his experience will get him some first-round looks.

I wonder what it would take to get him...

How's about Tait?

He is a big improvement over Jonas, still young and while he play RT, can easily slide to the left side.  Let him and Big Mike battle for the LT spot and the other stays on the right side.

BTW is Woody a FA again this year?  If so, that would be nice for our LG.

194336[/snapback]

You mean Tait who was on KC in 03? I could be wrong VA, but I think that the Bears (or someone else) gave him more than 30 million dollars last year, no?

You mean Tait who was on KC in 03? I could be wrong VA, but I think that the Bears (or someone else) gave him more than 30 million dollars last year, no?

194424[/snapback]

Could be. Like I said, I wasn't sure. I haven't kept up on the FA list for next year. I will probably have to go find a list some where instead of trying to go off memory. getting old has it's problems you know. :D

To answer some questions:

Terry projects to be a mid to late 1st Round pick right now.

Tait indeed signed with the Bears last year.

Finally, Here's a link to the 2005 Free Agent OTs

194474[/snapback]

Please answer one more....Is Hopkins considered to be a likely cap casualty? I am intrigued by Hopkins. I know he is not young, but I feel he would be a possible short term LT should JJ leave, which I see happening.

What's up with BH, do you know?

Please answer one more....Is Hopkins considered to be a likely cap casualty? I am intrigued by Hopkins. I know he is not young, but I feel he would be a possible short term LT should JJ leave, which I see happening.

What's up with BH, do you know?

194495[/snapback]

There's definately talk Hopkins could be a cap casuality, if he's available he's certainly on my short list in terms of replacements if we lose Jennings. I would probably rank Whitfield higher then Hopkins but think either one would be a good one or two year answer at LT.