Kyle Shanahan and Geno Smith = The perfect combo

SBUffalo

What makes you think Kyle Shannahan knows when to punt it and when to try a long fieldgoal?

I'm just saying - just because someone is a good or decent coordinator it does NOT mean they will be a head coach.

I think the OP is suggeting KS as OC.

Which begs a couple of questions. Why would KS leave his daddy (lateral move) and RG3?

Plus, 5 years from now, when daddy Shanahan wants to call it quits wouldn't the Skins be prone to hand it over to kid Shanahan for the continuity theme the OP spoke of?

Kid Shanny aint going anywhere, IMO. Skins seem to be onto something special.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geno is MUCH more of a Pass 1st QB...And granted he does not have RGIII's sick athletic ability...But Geno is plenty athletic...It could be argued that Geno is more NFL ready than RGIII, and that his playing style will help him stay healthy longer...Smith is also super dedicated to football...

As per the bolded... by who and how? That is a borderline ridiculous statement that I really would love to hear your clarification of.

As per the bolded... by who and how? That is a borderline ridiculous statement that I really would love to hear your clarification of.

By me...And if that's not good enough for you I could really give...He's a Pass 1st College QB who has thrown a million balls at WVU...

So you think Baylor's Offense is more closely linked to NFL Offenses than WVU's? You think RGIII is a better passer than Geno? He's a better runner, no question, but that may also result in him getting hurt more often, which was the basis of my borderline ridiculous statement...

Argued by whom? Bills brass? That wouldn't surprise.

It seems to me RG3 is PLENTY dedicated to football.

Who the f*** said RGIII was not dedicated to Football? I love RGIII...He's a great kid and super dedicated...The statement was a about Geno and it's 100% true...just read up a little on the kid and you'll learn that...I'm not trying to say Geno is the next RGIII because they are different animals...I am trying to say anyone doubting Geno's abilities as they project to NFL is going to be surprised...

Edited by KOKBILLS

Kyle is the son of the well-known Mike Shanahan, and he has been around the NFL for a while. He's young so we could build around him for a while. He's somebody we could use to build this "continuity" thing everybody is talking about.

The wonders he has done with Robert Griffin this season is amazing. Sure, Geno Smith isn't a carbon copy of Robert Griffin, but Geno is very mobile and has a strong arm. K. Shanahan could help turn him into a legit NFL starter. I believe that if we land a top 5 pick and the Chiefs pass on Geno he'll be ours. While I haven't gotten around to figuring out who I want as our coach yet, I think this would be a great offseason for us.

If Geno Smith is a top-5 QB, he'll go #1. We aren't getting Smith.

As of now, there are too many QB-needy teams ahead of them. Even if Tim Tebow is sent to Jacksonville, KC, Oakland, Philly, & Arizona are ahead of Buffalo in the draft order right now. If the Bills win this week, it's possible the Jets will jump ahead of them, too.

I'm still intrigued by the possibility of Geno Smith, but unless the Bills trade up, he won't fall to them. Buddy will have to make a move like the Redskins did last year to get to 2nd and pick Griffin.

^This. Moving up is the only way we're getting Geno Smith.

GO BILLS!!!

^This. Moving up is the only way we're getting Geno Smith.

GO BILLS!!!

Moving up won't get us Smith. If he is deemed a top-5 prospect, he will go #1 overall to Kansas City or Jacksonville. Teams won't make the Jake Long/Matt Ryan mistake again.

By me...And if that's not good enough for you I could really give...He's a Pass 1st College QB who has thrown a million balls at WVU...

So you think Baylor's Offense is more closely linked to NFL Offenses than WVU's? You think RGIII is a better passer than Geno? He's a better runner, no question, but that may also result in him getting hurt more often, which was the basis of my borderline ridiculous statement...

Fair enough I guess... I just don't see it. RG3 was a Heisman winner that beat out "once in a generation qb prospect" Luck. I like Smith but I don't think he will come in and set the league on fire like RG3 did. My basis for that is simply from watching the 2 play. RG3 was the best player on the field every time he stepped on the field and led Baylor of all schools to a win over OU (the first in Baylor school history). RG3 also would have been the consensus #1 pick had Luck not been in the draft. Smith as a qb may not go #1 which is a glaring indictment of what pro scouts think of him.

Again I like Smith and would like to see him on the Bills but I still think saying he is more NFL ready than RG3 is well just not true and I don't think there are many that would agree with your assessment.

Who the f*** said RGIII was not dedicated to Football? I love RGIII...He's a great kid and super dedicated...The statement was a about Geno and it's 100% true...just read up a little on the kid and you'll learn that...I'm not trying to say Geno is the next RGIII because they are different animals...I am trying to say anyone doubting Geno's abilities as they project to NFL is going to be surprised...

I see you backed up your opinion with.......nothing....your meaningless opinion.

Oh.....your inference to dedication was a knock on RG3 as you were clearly distinguishing between the two. But I suppose I could be wrong since you "read" about Geno's dedication. Please share the publication so we can all become as learned as thee.

I'm guessing your lashing out is a result of you not getting the superhero action figure you craved this holiday season. Am I right?

Moving up won't get us Smith. If he is deemed a top-5 prospect, he will go #1 overall to Kansas City or Jacksonville. Teams won't make the Jake Long/Matt Ryan mistake again.

Just like moving up didn't get the Redskins RG3? I agree that he'll go to either KC or Jax, but the point remains, the only way to get him would be to trade up. As slim as the possibility is that either KC or Jax is willing to trade.

Stranger things have happened and Smith doesn't have the pedigree of RG3. But I think KC would be foolish to pass on the best QB prospect in the draft regardless of the question remarks surrounding him. He's gonna be a good pro. I know people are concerned about Smith's mid-season swoon against some better teams, but in talking with some people, the consensus was that his confidence to make certain throws was the problem. He was making those throws into tight windows earlier but didn't want to risk it as much after a couple picks. I get the impression scouts aren't worried too much about that. He just needs to trust himself again.

GO BILLS!!!

Fair enough I guess... I just don't see it. RG3 was a Heisman winner that beat out "once in a generation qb prospect" Luck. I like Smith but I don't think he will come in and set the league on fire like RG3 did. My basis for that is simply from watching the 2 play. RG3 was the best player on the field every time he stepped on the field and led Baylor of all schools to a win over OU (the first in Baylor school history). RG3 also would have been the consensus #1 pick had Luck not been in the draft. Smith as a qb may not go #1 which is a glaring indictment of what pro scouts think of him.

Again I like Smith and would like to see him on the Bills but I still think saying he is more NFL ready than RG3 is well just not true and I don't think there are many that would agree with your assessment.

I love RGIII...I really do...And maybe I should have worded my statement better...But I do think that, as a pure passer, Geno comes into the NFL more prepared than RGIII...Now...RGIII is so good in that Offense, which is designed around his abilities, no question he's already proven how successful he can be...But there was questions about how his Game would translate...Whatever he had to overcome he did so quite well...And I think Geno will do the same...Could be wrong though...

The other point about NFL readiness comes from my belief that a player like RGIII, who runs THAT much, is on borrowed time...He's going to get hurt faster...Whereas a player like Geno who is athletic in his own way, but is more of a Pass first guy, can stay healthier long term...Who knows though...I understand the level of player that RGIII is...He's fantastic...I just think Geno is being undersold a bit for a guy who will go #1 overall in April... B-)

I see you backed up your opinion with.......nothing....your meaningless opinion.

Oh.....your inference to dedication was a knock on RG3 as you were clearly distinguishing between the two. But I suppose I could be wrong since you "read" about Geno's dedication. Please share the publication so we can all become as learned as thee.

I'm guessing your lashing out is a result of you not getting the superhero action figure you craved this holiday season. Am I right?

You're wrong...I totally got that action figure...

Seriously? You have a MAJOR reading comprehension problem...I don't know what to tell you if you think I was knocking RGIII...I was not...Whatsoever...

Here's just one article about Geno...There are more...http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/football-121003Maisel/west-virginia-mountaineers-quarterback-geno-smith-focus-solely-football

Edited by KOKBILLS

Corrert. Geno Smith would be a huge reach, especially if we trade up and lose next years #1 to get him (which would be required, at least). I say take Barkley, he is the most ready from an NFL standpoint with our normal pick and go from there. Or someone else with a major league arm. Dump Fitz and get a veteran like Vick to run the show while Barkley gets ready.

Barkley? How many SC games have you watched? I live in SoCal. If you think Barkley is a definite you will be disappointed. I'd take Smith all day over him based

on arm strength, athleticism and accuracy alone.

I love RGIII...I really do...And maybe I should have worded my statement better...But I do think that, as a pure passer, Geno comes into the NFL more prepared than RGIII...Now...RGIII is so good in that Offense, which is designed around his abilities, no question he's already proven how successful he can be...But there was questions about how his Game would translate...Whatever he had to overcome he did so quite well...And I think Geno will do the same...Could be wrong though...

The other point about NFL readiness comes from my belief that a player like RGIII, who runs THAT much, is on borrowed time...He's going to get hurt faster...Whereas a player like Geno who is athletic in his own way, but is more of a Pass first guy, can stay healthier long term...Who knows though...I understand the level of player that RGIII is...He's fantastic...I just think Geno is being undersold a bit for a guy who will go #1 overall in April... B-)

Seriously? You have a MAJOR reading comprehension problem...I don't know what to tell you if you think I was knocking RGIII...I was not...Whatsoever...

RGIII can stand in the pocket too. He just has the running ability that is so good a coach would be foolish not to exploit it. But RGIII is every bit a guy

who can and will stand in the pocket.

Edited by purple haze

Just like moving up didn't get the Redskins RG3? I agree that he'll go to either KC or Jax, but the point remains, the only way to get him would be to trade up. As slim as the possibility is that either KC or Jax is willing to trade.

Stranger things have happened and Smith doesn't have the pedigree of RG3. But I think KC would be foolish to pass on the best QB prospect in the draft regardless of the question remarks surrounding him. He's gonna be a good pro. I know people are concerned about Smith's mid-season swoon against some better teams, but in talking with some people, the consensus was that his confidence to make certain throws was the problem. He was making those throws into tight windows earlier but didn't want to risk it as much after a couple picks. I get the impression scouts aren't worried too much about that. He just needs to trust himself again.

GO BILLS!!!

In the sense that there is no Luck to drop Smith to the #2 slot, yes, I think it is very unlikely that we will have a shot at Smith. That's unless Jacksonville, and not Kansas City, ends up with the #1 pick and is willing to trade down.

Barkley? How many SC games have you watched? I live in SoCal. If you think Barkley is a definite you will be disappointed. I'd take Smith all day over him based

on arm strength, athleticism and accuracy alone.

RGIII can stand in the pocket too. He just has the running ability that is so good a coach would be foolish not to exploit it. But RGIII is every bit a guy

I understand that...Not sure how this whole thing got turned into the notion that I was knocking RGIII or his abilities...I was simply trying to point out that, IMHO, Geno Smith may very well be more prepared for the NFL passing game than RGII was...And it's a bit of a splitting hairs comment...It was not meant to infer that RGIII was not prepared, just that Smith may be more prepared coming out...No question RGIII was very prepared...But he also has incredible running ability that makes him even more deadly...Again I'm not trying to compare to what RGIII is now...But what he was coming out...And he was damn good coming out...Which to me means Geno could be damn good too in time...And heck maybe I am wrong...We'll see... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I would go as far to say that RG3 is a pocket passer first and foremost. That's what makes him so good. All QBs need to become pocket passers to have sustained success over their careers. For several reasons, most having to do with the timing with your receivers and the need to make a defense defend the entire field.

GO BILLS!!!

Here's just one article about Geno...There are more...http://espn.go.com/c...solely-football

Was it Aquaman? Now HE was underrated!

My deficiencies are in math not reading. Which would explain why your previous post didn't add up to me.

Lets just make this team better. I'm open to all possibilities.

Peace KOK.......ok? B-)

Was it Aquaman? Now HE was underrated!

My deficiencies are in math not reading. Which would explain why your previous post didn't add up to me.

Lets just make this team better. I'm open to all possibilities.

Peace KOK.......ok? B-)

You too Bro...

And it was Batman...I wanted Aquaman...but no dice...Sold out is what I was told... ;)