Moulds, Drew, Jerry Gray, Bills

JP-era

Moulds: apparently is willing to restructure his contract to stay. The issue with Moulds was always that HE made the comments he made about re-evaluating his future, add in the fact that he had the dropsies and the emergence of Evans, and his hefty 8.5 mil contract, and you could easily start the "cut or trade Moulds" threads. Now, when Moulds comes out and says he will restructure to stay and help his team that is a 180 degree change in attitude, going from evaluating whether you will even be a part of the team anymore to helping the team out with changes to your contract. So, Moulds himself has paved the way to stay. The story is not yet over however. Moulds agreed to RESTRUCTURE not to take a PAY CUT. IMO, Evans is our #1 WR now with the best hands (proven on the field this year) and the deep speed (again proven on the field this year). Moulds is starting to fade and has had a terrible year as far as dropped passes. Does a fading Moulds have the right to command the SAME contract only restructured? I dont think so. TD sets himself up badly if he converts more contract into signing bonus up front and/or backloads the contract. That means that somewhere in the future when Moulds does retire/is cut the Bills take a bigger hit than they would have if Moulds were to take a pay cut instead. The best situation for the Bills is to pay Moulds what he is worth TODAY and for Moulds to restructure based on THAT figure. I see this happening in the long run with Moulds apparent desire to stay.

Drew: Claims that the team is "his" team. Yet he has absolutely NO say about that! The Rochester D and C wrote an article talking about how mediocre/bad Drew played this year. I found the information striking and shocking: He ranked 25th in the NFL in quarterback rating (76.6), 26th in completion percentage (56.9), and 26th in average yards gained per attempt (6.52). Thats pretty bad. Add in the 6.5 mil contract he is set to make, and TD will absolutely have a serious thought about changes to this situation. Does it means Drew is let go? probably not. But, TD wont sit back and pay a pretty hefty premium to get that type of poor performance, despite what Drew says. The game tape and facts dont lie, and Drew is only looking out for himself here. Great guy, but N OT the guy to win the big games or take us to the SB CLEARLY! If this team wants to compete for a playoff spot, they must find a way to compete with the Pats, something Drew has proven, on the field, that he cant do. My take, I think TD force a pay cut down Drews throat and hold an open competition next year for the starting job. If JP can prove that he has even just as much talent/mediocre play, the nod goes to JP with a bigger upside and without the "baggage" that may prevent Drew from beating our biggest AFC east foe. Drew takes a pay cut, stays, and backups up JP by the 3rd game if not earlier.

Jerry Gray: Reported to be in the running for the Syracuse HC job. This would be a HUGE hit for the Bills if he leaves. He is the ONE guy that truly has the defensive scheme figured out. If he leaves, and we fill from within, you can expect changes. Could be slight, could be drastic. Either way, I think its bad. This defense, as currently schemed, is a proven commodity with back to back #2 rankings. You dont fix what aint broke. We lost 4 games early in part because of a new offense, any doubt we could lose a few with "changes" to our D? Losing Gray, and ending up with a declining D would tick me off. This team, this year, had all the making of a SB team, MINUS ONE. One 6' 5" statue that couldnt manage to play "decent" and win the big games. The "opening" to get to the SB is ever so small in todays NFL, I feel like this was our shot and if the good stuff doesnt stay the same and the bad isnt improved, we end up OUT of the playoffs again! I wouldnt mind that if JP is our starter and if we see that he is a season away from being a stud. But it undermines the team as a whole to head in the wrong direction as far as the D goes. Losing Jerry could do that. To me, if the D starts to get worse, the O needs to pick up the slack to get us into the playoffs and beyond. We should now know that Drew wont be the guy to do that, and there is a good chance that JP will be too young and too inexperienced to do it. Thats why it is CRITICAL for Jerry to stay. In the end, I think Jerry doesnt get the job because SYR wants to capatilize on a weak conference with someone who has lots more college coaching experience. With the big name vacancys filled could Butch Davis take this spot? Really it would be HIS choice not Syr. He deserves a bigger named college that Syracuse, but may take it. I doubt it, but who knows. Either way, someone else wins this job, someone who is already in college and with lots of experience.

Sorry so long, but I hope there lots to chew on.

Jerry Gray: Reported to be in the running for the Syracuse HC job. This would be a HUGE hit for the Bills if he leaves. He is the ONE guy that truly has the defensive scheme figured out. If he leaves, and we fill from within, you can expect changes. Could be slight, could be drastic.

Sorry so long, but I hope there lots to chew on.

193744[/snapback]

One thing is he hasn't yet figured out how to stop the Big Boys....

Good points JP. I think you are correct on all accounts. If Drew and Moulds restructure, I think Donahoe will keep them and I'm OK with that. I just want an honest competition at QB. If Drew wins, so be it. But, my personal feeling is, that if Drew wins, it's only because of the time JP lost and he will start at some time next season (maybe in injury relief - I'm not hoping Drew is hurt, just an analysis.)

One thing is he hasn't yet figured out how to stop the Big Boys....

193798[/snapback]

Works both ways. The big boys stop us consistently on offense thus tiring out the defense and nto allowing the D to shine through. If we hold on to the ball more with the Steelers and Patriots, I bet our D can be more aggressive and stop them.

>>>>> Drew takes a pay cut, stays, and backups up JP by the 3rd game if not earlier.<<<<<

Well that settles that. Losman is not only starting caliber, he is great.

Thanks. For a while I was worried that he might have to prove that he is able to play in the NFL at all.

I am glad that you cleared this up.

You finally discuss some interesting points beyond your normal 'Drew Sucks' babble, but in the end, you blame what you consider a failed season on one individual and one individual alone, and for that you not only lose points, but continue to show a true lack of understanding for the game as a whole.

An interesting try, nonetheless.

Works both ways. The big boys stop us consistently on offense thus tiring out the defense and nto allowing the D to shine through. If we hold on to the ball more with the Steelers and Patriots, I bet our D can be more aggressive and stop them.

193993[/snapback]

I don't know about that. By all accounts, the Jacksonville offense were not "Big Boys." We sure as hell couldn't stop them though, and that drive didn't even include any running by Fred Taylor, if I remember correctly.

I go back and forth on whether losing Gray would be the worst thing in the world. We've seen improvement, but we also see critical lapses. And our coverage, especially in nickel situations, has not always been stellar considering we have a former DB at the helm. Maybe I am not giving Gray enough credit, but I wouldn't mind seeing Krumrie get the job if Gray leaves. What better way to say out loud that we are going to have a tough defense?

I don't know about that.  By all accounts, the Jacksonville offense were not "Big Boys."  We sure as hell couldn't stop them though, and that drive didn't even include any running by Fred Taylor, if I remember correctly.

I go back and forth on whether losing Gray would be the worst thing in the world.  We've seen improvement, but we also see critical lapses.  And our coverage, especially in nickel situations, has not always been stellar considering we have a former DB at the helm.  Maybe I am not giving Gray enough credit, but I wouldn't mind seeing Krumrie get the job if Gray leaves.  What better way to say out loud that we are going to have a tough defense?

194011[/snapback]

Agreed on Gray, but I lean toward keeping him. I like his demeanor after having sat up close. He is in full command of the defense, and will have undoubtably learned from his mistakes.

Krumrie is my favorite Bill, but I wonder if he is sane enough to run the defense. :D If so, that would make for some GREAT TV footage. TK is one intense human.

>>>>> Drew takes a pay cut, stays, and backups up JP by the 3rd game if not earlier.<<<<<

Well that settles that. Losman is not only starting caliber, he is great.

Thanks. For a while I was worried that he might have to prove that he is able to play in the NFL at all.

I am glad that you cleared this up.

194003[/snapback]

Woah, wait a minute did you even read my reasons?

JP isnt competing against a star, or even a good QB at this point, hes competing with a sometimes mediocre QB who cant win against good teams. Gheez, JP cant compete with that? right out of the gate?

193993[/snapback]

Not really.

If you go back to some of the games:

In the 1st JAX game, they allowed a 90 yard drive (with no timeouts) to be

a game winning TD drive

In the 1st game against NE, we were up 17 to 7 (or 10) with McGees return

for TD. Then our D goes out and gives up 2 back to back TDs to Brady and

company.

In the game against Baltimore, we were up 3-0, then we give up that big

drive (thanks to Fltechers stupid roughing-the-passer penalty) and they

go up 10-3 and then Bledsoe is intercepted by Sanders and returned for TD.

And finally, the worst possible one....Gave a 9 minute game clinching drive to

the SCRUBS in the season finale. As many pointed out, going into the 4th

qtr, both the Bills and the SCrubs had the same ToP.

FWIW, when Jerry Gray was rumoured to be going to the Texas Longhhorns, as the D-coorditnater last off season, the word down here in Austin was that Gray wanted to stay in the NFL. He, in fact, was rumoured to preferr a NFL cooridantor job, over a college head coaching job, it was said then. He really wants to be an NFL headcoach! He will get there faster by staying, and being successful in the NFL.

You finally discuss some interesting points beyond your normal 'Drew Sucks' babble, but in the end, you blame what you consider a failed season on one individual and one individual alone, and for that you not only lose points, but continue to show a true lack of understanding for the game as a whole.

An interesting try, nonetheless.

194009[/snapback]

You sound like you have an interesting take on why we cant beat the elite teams. Care to share it with us?

You sound like you have an interesting take on why we cant beat the elite teams. Care to share it with us?

194480[/snapback]

I'd be happy to. For starters, gameplan better and improve our depth. Take the Pittsburgh game as an example.

You notice how every sadsack who pinpoints Bledsoe for single-handedly losing the game never discusses our first scoring drive. Anyone remember it? Something like seven McGahee runs for 42 yards, including the touchdown, and one throw to Moulds for about seven or eight yards.

Do you remember where McGahee was taking the ball? Inside and behind Shelton. Classic power running football. Drove it down the field and punched it in the endzone like it was nobody's business. Suddenly, we couldn't run the ball like that anymore. In fact, whenever we tried, McGahee got kicked outside and that was that. It was no freakin' wonder we didn't go for it on 3rd and 1 from the 11 yard line. WE FREAKIN' COULDN'T GET THE YARD AT THAT POINT!

So what changed? How did we drive so beautifully one minute, and then suck at running the next? Let's start with no Villarial and then work our way to more Pucillo. That's not good enough from a depth standpoint. We needed to plug someone in who doesn't suck like Pucillo. (I should point out that I only noticed a change in the running game. Another more knowledgable Bills fan pointed out the personnel issue.) This is a classic example of why elite teams beat us and we don't beat elite teams. We lose Villarial, we get Pucillo. But the Patriots lose a guy in the secondary, and they plug in a receiver, and BAM he has three picks on the year. Quality depth...particularly for the OL.

I think we were not aggressive enough defensively in key third down situations. I think we reverted back to more boneheaded penalties. I think Lindell, a guy who I have supported simply because he didn't fug stuff up, found a way to fug stuff up and cost us momentum. And yes, I think Bledsoe hurt us as well. His pick, which came after the scoring drive, was completely on him.

My point is simply that to say that Bledsoe is the one and only reason for us not making the playoffs is simply misinformed, trite and downright obsessive.

To those who want JP to start next year....have you seen the NY Giants this year with Eli Manning??? They are awful. JP starting means 8-8 at best and no playoffs. Drew starting means at least 10-6 and possibly 12-4 (have to see when we play everyone before predictions) and a playoff berth. Over the past 12 weeks Drew Bledsoe led his team to a 9-3 record. Not too bad. I want to keep the mojo going into next year. Mularkey said it best, Let's pick up where we left off.