"You're in the right neighborhood" - Nix on 2013 Draft QBs

Listen, what we should never do is reach for a QB if he isn't worthy of being selected high. Quite honestly, there aren't any outstanding QBs to go gaga over this year. In the first round we should pick up the best LB available. Then we should get the best WR available in the second. If Geno or Glennon is available then pick them up here otherwise no one else is worthy of being selected this high. In the third, pick up a QB. Now the tough part, free agency. Should we attempt to pick up Vick? If we pick up a WR and offer Minny next years 2nd round pick for Harvin then this would make sense. What do you think?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen, what we should never do is reach for a QB if he isn't worthy of being selected high. Quite honestly, there aren't any outstanding QBs to go gaga over this year.

Well I don't know about gaga...Is that the singing chick? ;)

But I do wonder when I read comments like this #1 how much have you actually watched the top prospects for the 2013 Draft? And #2 how much have you actually watched Fitz? Because regardless of the fact that there is no Andrew Luck in the 2013 QB class, there are a bunch of young QB's that make me pretty excited when faced with the reality of what the Bills have right now...I think in that context some may even get a little gaga...Whatever that means... B-)

Buddy gonna have a lotta splainin to do....

1) If'n he drafts a QB with the Bills top pick and doesn't start him right out of the gate

2) If'n he doesn't start him out of the gate, why'd he pick a QB that can't play that high?

Glennon is a return to Bledsoe. He's a statue. I don't have a problem with his lack of mobility... if he has a fast brain and from the time he accurately reads and process the defense, the ball get's out of his hand in a nano second. Marino, Fouts, Warner didn't have mobility either. But they had pocket presence and they got rid of the ball quickly and accurately.

Glennon is a return to Bledsoe. He's a statue. I don't have a problem with his lack of mobility... if he has a fast brain and from the time he accurately reads and process the defense, the ball get's out of his hand in a nano second. Marino, Fouts, Warner didn't have mobility either. But they had pocket presence and they got rid of the ball quickly and accurately.

I can see where you draw the comparrisons to Bledsoe but from what I have watched (admitedly not a ton) of him he seems to be able to make quick decisions and get the ball out. He isn't a stand out must draft like Luck was preceived as but there is potential here. The other thing of note is: if Gailey manages to some how avoid being fired, this is the kind of QB he may want in his system. In the game against UNC I remember seeing a lot of shotgun and spread formations which we know Gailey likes. Although, I am not very confident Gailey will still be around so who knows... :D

This is why they say when you start listening to the fans, you'll be sitting right there next to them watching the games... There's too many opinions... My opinion on getting a QB for the Bills is the same way I feel about owning a pitbull... I used to love getting them while they were puppies (let's say that's like us drafting a QB) and training them but always felt disappointed when they kept having "accidents" (Interceptions, fumbles, delay of game etc.) even though I trained them to use the bathroom outside... I'm clearly not a good enough trainer with pitbulls and Chan Gailey is not a good coach... Point blank period...

I'd much rather now own a pitbull who is fully grown and trained by professionals and I believe the Bills approach should be the same with a QB... Get one that's been groomed and trained right by an elite coach and work with that...

Edit : Chan Gailey IS a good coach... Just not a good HEAD COACH/Offensive coordinator or game manager or whatever he is... I knew from day one when he named himself offensive coordinator we were in for some stress... We all need help in every job we do... He's too hardheaded... If Chan is to stay, Modkins needs to go and he needs to bring in an official Offensive Coordinator...

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

I'm thinking that wouldn't be so good for ticket sales.

The best thing for ticket sales is winning. I, for one, am not at all impressed with Barkley or ANY QB that has come out of USC. With that said I don't care who plays for the Bills next year as long as they start winning.

Listen, what we should never do is reach for a QB if he isn't worthy of being selected high. Quite honestly, there aren't any outstanding QBs to go gaga over this year. In the first round we should pick up the best LB available. Then we should get the best WR available in the second. If Geno or Glennon is available then pick them up here otherwise no one else is worthy of being selected this high. In the third, pick up a QB. Now the tough part, free agency. Should we attempt to pick up Vick? If we pick up a WR and offer Minny next years 2nd round pick for Harvin then this would make sense. What do you think?

Stay away from Vick! Not the right answer.

The comparison of Barkley to the other USC QBs is awful and lazy.

Couldn't agree more! Apparently no good nfl caliber qb's can come out of USC because others from this school have failed?! Well it's immediately proven to be a ridiculous theory just based on the fact that those qb's all played under different coaches ( other than leinart and Sanchez). You could say that true of any schools qb's till one actually became a star in the nfl. I'm not saying Barkley is a cant miss prospect but you can't say he isn't because he is coming out of a certain program. He throws an amazing deep ball and I saw him make some great plays against Oregon this year.

It would not AT ALL surprise me. Dude's got the arm and he's got the measurables. Watching his 5 TD performance against UNC was an eye-opener.

Against UNC-wow, how can you argue that.

Couldn't agree more! Apparently no good nfl caliber qb's can come out of USC because others from this school have failed?! Well it's immediately proven to be a ridiculous theory just based on the fact that those qb's all played under different coaches ( other than leinart and Sanchez). You could say that true of any schools qb's till one actually became a star in the nfl. I'm not saying Barkley is a cant miss prospect but you can't say he isn't because he is coming out of a certain program. He throws an amazing deep ball and I saw him make some great plays against Oregon this year.

Last time I checked Carson Palmer played for Pete as well....

Also a pretty big gap between a top 5 pick and midrounder.

Exactly...

And for the record, at least IMHO, Te'o is more closely comparable to Rey Maualuga who was a 2nd Round Pick...And RM is a good, solid, NFL ILB who did not require a Top 10 Draft Pick... B-)

This is the second time you've posted this comment. What records has he set? I see 13 school records but no national ones. I understand you like him so maybe you can tell me more about this report from cbssports:

Jones has NFL height and good body flexibility with the mobility to use his legs to extend the play. Jones has good arm strength and average accuracy, but his ball placement is too erratic at each level and he tends to make highly questionable decisions every game. He stares down targets and his accuracy dips when forced to go away from his first read, showing poor footwork when rattled as he struggles to reset and step into his throws.

Jones has put up big numbers as part of a pass-happy offense, lining up in a hybrid pistol/shotgun formation, and is reminiscent of Jay Cutler ? frustrating passer and it doesn't always look pretty, but the tools are there and he gets results. He still has room to improve and needs to show more of a clutch gene and improve his ball placement before he'll be a first round pick.

I'm not completely against him either I just don't know who is the best prospect for the Bills yet FWIW.

Jones has also improved as the year went on his last couple of games he has been off the charts. I was impressed by him in the loss to Kansas State as well. I am looking forward to the bowl game match up with Johnny Football it should be a great match up.

So the OP mentioned Buddy's comments and the thread deveolved into a college QB discussion.

It seems to me "you're in the right neighboorhood" would mean you got the QB part correct but not the player.

So that would be Tyler Wilson (its strange to see strong negatives against Wilson, is it the whole Petrino thing?) Or Landry Jones into the conversation.

None the less I take "you're in the right neighborhood" to mean QB is the 1st round target.