Chan is a great coach...if he gets a great QB

BisonMan

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elite Quarterbacks are a product of natural talent and coaching. Both need to be in place for a team to succeed.

Everyone wonders why Gailey doesn't use Spiller and Jackson more often. It is the nature of a spread offense. Running lanes open up only after the LB and CB are removed from their natural positions. Why has buffalo consistently had a rusher well above league average in yards per carry? Why else would Spiller have been selected given is natural skill sets. He isn't a twenty plus carry a game running back. This type of offensive system does require a pass heavy emphasis to open the lanes.

I agree with the original poster in that if the quarterback talent level was elevated Gailey would be back to his offensive guru status. However Gailey should have known what he was getting himself into after looking at his roster. The Bills offense is devoid of above average talent. Spread offenses need receivers that can run routes quickly and catch the ball. Unfortunately we really don't have both. That is of course with the exception of SJ and Spiller which isn't enough to carry a team.

So in summary Gaily is using a system that utilizes Spliller's talents. Caters to Fitz lack of arm strength. But didn't have enough foresight to recognize the rest of the deficiencies on offense. And this I believe lays on the GM to provide better personal. This is a team sport. Blame can't be passed to one person.

Elite Quarterbacks are a product of natural talent and coaching. Both need to be in place for a team to succeed.

Everyone wonders why Gailey doesn't use Spiller and Jackson more often. It is the nature of a spread offense. Running lanes open up only after the LB and CB are removed from their natural positions. Why has buffalo consistently had a rusher well above league average in yards per carry? Why else would Spiller have been selected given is natural skill sets. He isn't a twenty plus carry a game running back. This type of offensive system does require a pass heavy emphasis to open the lanes.

I agree with the original poster in that if the quarterback talent level was elevated Gailey would be back to his offensive guru status. However Gailey should have known what he was getting himself into after looking at his roster. The Bills offense is devoid of above average talent. Spread offenses need receivers that can run routes quickly and catch the ball. Unfortunately we really don't have both. That is of course with the exception of SJ and Spiller which isn't enough to carry a team.

So in summary Gaily is using a system that utilizes Spliller's talents. Caters to Fitz lack of arm strength. But didn't have enough foresight to recognize the rest of the deficiencies on offense. And this I believe lays on the GM to provide better personal. This is a team sport. Blame can't be passed to one person.

Gailey doesn't use Spiller and Jackson more often because he is a blatant idiot! The man himself even stated that both Spiller and Jackson should get 40 touches a game between the two of them, and yet Gailey can't stop calling for passing plays. The world knows is Fitz is a very average QB at best, and yet Gailey is always calling for more passes then runs because he simply refuses to change his ways.

Lets look at one particular game this year. The Bills played the Jags at home on a rainy day, Gailey called a near perfect game against the Jaguars. The only thing wrong was Gailey was a victim of circumstance as both starting WR's left the game with injuries. Both Stevie Johnson (hamstring) and Donald Jones (calf) and also C Eric Wood was injured(knee). Losing both starting WR's probably caused Gailey to call more runs this game. The result was a win.

Final score 34-18 with the bills QB, 9 of 17 for 112 yards 2TD's one INT. The RB's Fred Jackson 25 attempts for 109 yards. Spiller 14 attempts for 77 yards. FJ receiving 2 rec for 10 yards-Spiller rec 1 rec 7 yards= 42 touches for the RBs.

Now, everyone will spout that the Jags have a worse defense then the Bills. I say so what! The Bills won this game because the QB was limited in his attempts and the RB's got 40+ touches. Has Gailey even tried this against other teams ? Answer...NO!

I get a kick how some of you homers that are still defending this head coach. 15-31 :sick: How bad does it need to get before you say enough?

Gailey doesn't use Spiller and Jackson more often because he is a blatant idiot! The man himself even stated that both Spiller and Jackson should get 40 touches a game between the two of them, and yet Gailey can't stop calling for passing plays. The world knows is Fitz is a very average QB at best, and yet Gailey is always calling for more passes then runs because he simply refuses to change his ways.

Lets look at one particular game this year. The Bills played the Jags at home on a rainy day, Gailey called a near perfect game against the Jaguars. The only thing wrong was Gailey was a victim of circumstance as both starting WR's left the game with injuries. Both Stevie Johnson (hamstring) and Donald Jones (calf) and also C Eric Wood was injured(knee). Losing both starting WR's probably caused Gailey to call more runs this game. The result was a win.

Final score 34-18 with the bills QB, 9 of 17 for 112 yards 2TD's one INT. The RB's Fred Jackson 25 attempts for 109 yards. Spiller 14 attempts for 77 yards. FJ receiving 2 rec for 10 yards-Spiller rec 1 rec 7 yards= 42 touches for the RBs.

Now, everyone will spout that the Jags have a worse defense then the Bills. I say so what! The Bills won this game because the QB was limited in his attempts and the RB's got 40+ touches. Has Gailey even tried this against other teams ? Answer...NO!

I get a kick how some of you homers that are still defending this head coach. 15-31 :sick: How bad does it need to get before you say enough?

So who is better, Gailey or Jauron?

I'm not saying Gailey has made all the right calls. If you read my post I said he didn't fully analyze his roster. Building a spread offense around Spiller and Johnson alone isn't going to be consistent in the NFL. More talent on offense would make the scheme work. I wouldn't be surprised if Buddy signs some better receivers in free agency this upcoming year. Fitz will still be the man... like it or not. And things should be improving by mid-season next year. This team wasn't ready this year despite what all the analyst were saying. I fell for it and became very discouraged as a fan, but after some thought I believe sticking to the current course, adding some depth on offense, and a few tweaks will make this team a strong contender next year and into the future.

Joe Gibbs won Super Bowls with Mark Rypien and Doug Williams. Jim Harbaugh almost went to the Super Bowl with Amex Smith last year

There is a big difference between an offensive play caller with a great QB and a head coach having a clue how to manage a game. Chan the head coach is no different then Jauron, Kotite, Campo and any other clueless retread too afraid to try and win

How many great coaches continue to punt from inside the opponents 35?

Mark Rypien was the best quarterback in the league the year he went to the superbowl, Harbaugh has a dominating defense -

Look at the Redskins and/or Colts this year. The Skins went 5-11 last year. Now they lead the NFC East. Similarly, the Colts went from the worst team in the league to the top Wild Card spot. Although they changed head coaches, the new one has been out almost the entire season. QBs make/break teams now, unfortunately. Would the Bills be in the Super Bowl this year with Andrew Luck? No. Would they have a chance within a couple of years? I think so.

Colts were 11-5 the year two years ago- the qb they put out there last year gave them no chance- plug in a qb and they are descent. Skins still stink but so does their division

A decent argument. Lots of fans like Gailey's O. And your comments are in line with Gailey's often stated opinion that you pass to set up the run (though whether he actually does that is debatable). The flaw in the ointment tho is your belief that Fitz can execute it. He is inaccurate, erratic, inconsistent and unable to produce in the clutch (other than producing INTs). You are also right about his lack of arm strength. The point tho is that if you are not a threat to go over the top and take your shots the spread O will be easily defended by an NFL defence. And further with regard to Gailey, there is, as you say, poor player personnel evaluation, as well as poor in game decision making and clock management, and inability to motivate players.

So who is better, Gailey or Jauron?

Better at what, losing? Both are morons! Gailey is better...at losing!

Jauron's problem was he was afraid to hire a decent OC to run his offense. He didn't hesitate to hire a good NFL experienced D line coach when his assistant coach left for a better job. Plus, he had Perry Fewell as his DC who was a very good NFL experienced assistant coach on the defensive side.

But, after OC Steve Failrchild left for a HCing job in college Jauron promoted a QB coach to OC that should have never been given that job. Turk Schonert was a joke for an OC as all he did was call shotgun pass plays like Gailey. He never once used play action until halfway thru the season. Then after firing Schonert two weeks before the 2009 season started, Jauron does it again, as he promotes QB coach AVP to OC, and the result was another failure on offense. Not to mention Jauron traded away LT Jason Peters and then never replaced that LT position in the draft. Then cutting his starting LG and RT right before the start of the season and he didn't have adequate backup players to fill in.

Jauron did have a really good 2009 draft if you consider #1 pick C Eric Wood, #2 pick G Andy Levitre and #2 pick DB Jairus Byrd. A darn shame everyone defines that draft with the failure of LB Aaron Maybin to DE. If only Jauron took LB Brian Orakpo-LB Brian Cushing- LB Clay Matthews. :doh: Anyone but Maybin.

As bad as Jauron was about the offense, clearly Chan Gailey is even worse with the defense. Gailey's first choice for DC (George Edwards) set new franchise records for being bad. Worst against the run in the 50 year history of the franchise. So after two painful years of a new 3-4 the Bills hired what was supposed to be a defensive guru. Instead they got a defensive poo poo. Dave Wannstedt has set NFL records for being bad. The very first ever defense in the entire history of the NFL to allow 300 yards passing and 300 yards rushing in a game. The team is about to make history again as the season ends. Most points ever allowed by a buffalo defense, and the second most yards allowed.

Thanks for nothing Dave..you :censored: !

Think about how much talent the Bills had this year on defense.Jauron never had it as good. A 100 million dollar FA DE. All those draft picks spent on the defense the last few years, and STILL terribad. Its almost shameful to be a Buffalo Bills fan nowadays.

Edited by FeartheLosing