Chan is a great coach...if he gets a great QB

BisonMan

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been a lot of sniping at Chan Gailey these days but living in the DC/Baltimore area has taught me something lately. Coaches with QBs that play great are considered great and coaches with crappy QBs are considered terrible.

Last year, the talk around DC was how horrible a coach Mike Shanahan was and how Kyle Shanahan should never be allowed to coach an offense again. One year and one RGIII later, both are hailed as geniuses. Kyle is now considered a top contender for teams looking for a new HC.

On the flip side, while Joe Flacco was playing well (and their defense was healthy), John Harbaugh was considered to be a great coach. Flacco outplayed Tom Brady in the AFC Championship game and was one Lee Evans drop away from the SuperBowl. Now Flacco has regressed (QBR lower than Fitz) and everyone is questioning the job Harbaugh is doing. They fired the OC last week and Flacco did even worse.

Looking at a list of the highest rated QBs on ESPN's QBR ranking shows us a list of successful coaches. It is rare that a coach is considered "great" without a really good QB. I'm hard-pressed to find a "great" coach that I can credit with elevating a QB's game considerably. Jim Harbaugh in SF might be the notable exception (Alex Smith).

Tom Coughlin was on the hot seat in New York last year and listening to the NYC Sports Radio he was thought by many to be canned before the season ended. Eli Manning got hot as heck, and now Coughlin can coach there as long as he wants to. Bill Belicheck was a much less then successful head coach until Tom Brady started playing, now he is going to Canton when he is done and is considered by many to be the best coach in the NFL. Chan Gailey would probably lose with Tom Brady at QB, because he would try to get to fancy and pull Brady out for some unsuccessful Wildcat play. Brian Billick was talking about the Wildcat on ESPN radio a day or so ago, and his quote was "If you try running the Wildcat offense it is because your quarterback isn't very good."

True, we'd probably love him if Fitz were playing as well as I thought he would this year and if we were in the playoff hunt like I also thought we would be. And Chan's schemes are solid. What he does with screens and the spread offense blows my mind. He's also shown some flashes of brilliance. Plus, he's likable--I wanted him to succeed. I still do.

But he's also shown some flashes of ineptitude. Lately, his playcalling has been wretched. Time management, worse. We all know he's not using our most powerful weapon, Spiller, nearly enough. And the record--seriously...it's pathetic. He can't beat our biggest rivals here, or at Georgia Tech. Three wins against the AFCE. And not once did he beat my alma matter, UGA, in the five or so years he coached there.

He's had his shot. If he wasn't able to get us in the playoff hunt with this talent, it's time to move on.

Thirteen years, no playoffs. Three years under Gailey, we still have a losing record. Will he do better with a better QB? Probably. But I fear it's not enough.

The NFL is not a qb driven league, it is an elite qb driven league. Look at all the trends and how they influence each other and there it is. It is a given that the teams with the best qbs are going deep into the playoffs and that the Super Bowl almost guarantees a battle between the league's top 2 qbs mano a mano. Manning vs Brady 2 was exactly the type of matchup they want to market. It is as simple as that. This team needs a guy that will be a top 5 talent league wide. Without that guy absolutely nothing will bring a Championship to Buffalo, or any other NFL team for that matter.

As a UGA grad, every school, Tech included, has classes for jocks.

What did Calvin Johnson major in?

Megatron likely was a business major. That's the easiest degree the school offers, IMHO. Beyond that you're into some form of engineering or biology or international relations/public policy. You can't get a Phys Ed degree or one in Family and Consumer Science or Social Work at GA Tech like at UGA. To be fair, UGA has some excellent programs in Veterinary Sciences, Agriculture, Public Affairs, etc. I just think it's a lot easier to skate through as an athlete at UGA than at Ga Tech.

Tell that to Calvin Johnson?

Yes, Megatron was the best football player ever to come out of Ma Tech in 25 years...or more. Tech has very few alumni playing in the NFL and never have/will.

No, but they make bad situaions managable and bad calls, work.

:thumbsup:

The NFL is not a qb driven league, it is an elite qb driven league. Look at all the trends and how they influence each other and there it is. It is a given that the teams with the best qbs are going deep into the playoffs and that the Super Bowl almost guarantees a battle between the league's top 2 qbs mano a mano. Manning vs Brady 2 was exactly the type of matchup they want to market. It is as simple as that. This team needs a guy that will be a top 5 talent league wide. Without that guy absolutely nothing will bring a Championship to Buffalo, or any other NFL team for that matter.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What I cannot understand about the pro-Gailey, "continuity" crowd is this: They argue that all Chan needs to really be successful is a "great' QB. But didn't Chan sit in the "war room" with Nix for three drafts? And knowing that he did, why then did he not, at any point, say to Buddy "We should take Dalton with this pick", or "We should grab Russell Wilson." He has had three chances to add a young, talented QB, but in that period they eschewed the likes of Dalton, Kaepernick, Mallet and Wilson in favor of building around Fitzpatrick. Sorry, but the Bills' qb woes are not strictly the fault of Nix and the scouts; Gailey bears great responsibility as well. And the failure to land one of these young prospects and instead "hitching their wagon" to number 14 means one thing- both must go!

why then did he not, at any point, say to Buddy "We should take Dalton with this pick", or "We should grab Russell Wilson."

How do you know that Chan didn't say that and got over ruled?

I'm definitely not "pro-Gailey". I hope that I wake up on New Years Eve morning and read that Chan Gailey has been fired by the Bills. But I have no idea what Chan did or didn't say in the draft "war room".

There has been a lot of sniping at Chan Gailey these days but living in the DC/Baltimore area has taught me something lately. Coaches with QBs that play great are considered great and coaches with crappy QBs are considered terrible.

Last year, the talk around DC was how horrible a coach Mike Shanahan was and how Kyle Shanahan should never be allowed to coach an offense again. One year and one RGIII later, both are hailed as geniuses. Kyle is now considered a top contender for teams looking for a new HC.

On the flip side, while Joe Flacco was playing well (and their defense was healthy), John Harbaugh was considered to be a great coach. Flacco outplayed Tom Brady in the AFC Championship game and was one Lee Evans drop away from the SuperBowl. Now Flacco has regressed (QBR lower than Fitz) and everyone is questioning the job Harbaugh is doing. They fired the OC last week and Flacco did even worse.

Looking at a list of the highest rated QBs on ESPN's QBR ranking shows us a list of successful coaches. It is rare that a coach is considered "great" without a really good QB. I'm hard-pressed to find a "great" coach that I can credit with elevating a QB's game considerably. Jim Harbaugh in SF might be the notable exception (Alex Smith).

So, if by some miracle the Bills secure an elite QB either through the draft (best hope) or in FA (unlikely), I'm sure the collective wisdom about Chan's coaching ability will turn around. I personally think that Gailey is getting the most out of Fitz's limited talent and that Fitz would do worse in a more conventional offense (with more down field throws and longer patterns). Similarly, the Gailey scheme limits the exposure of our O-Line that still needs work. I've been critical of some calls by Chan but overall, I think he knows the hand he's been dealt and is putting the best face on it.

You must be in Colorado or Washington, because I am positive you were extremely high when you wrote that.

I'm sorry, I have seen this post for a few days and I have resisted getting sucked in. I'm bored and I can't resist any more.

Chan is a terrible head coach. He is terrible at play calling, clock management, inspiring his players and getting involved with all facets of the game.

If his title was "Assistant to the Offensive Coordinator for Suggesting Screen Plays" then maybe he would be above average. As a head coach, not so much.

What I cannot understand about the pro-Gailey, "continuity" crowd is this: They argue that all Chan needs to really be successful is a "great' QB. But didn't Chan sit in the "war room" with Nix for three drafts? And knowing that he did, why then did he not, at any point, say to Buddy "We should take Dalton with this pick", or "We should grab Russell Wilson." He has had three chances to add a young, talented QB, but in that period they eschewed the likes of Dalton, Kaepernick, Mallet and Wilson in favor of building around Fitzpatrick. Sorry, but the Bills' qb woes are not strictly the fault of Nix and the scouts; Gailey bears great responsibility as well. And the failure to land one of these young prospects and instead "hitching their wagon" to number 14 means one thing- both must go!

Stop this nonsense. The Bills passed on 12 QBs in the draft that were picked in the first 3 rounds since Nix/Chan got here. 9 of them aren't good enough to start or haven't proven to be any better than Fitz or aren't even in the league anymore. Only three are "proven" if you can count rookies having good years (Kaepernick, Wilson and Dalton). So, they had a 75% chance of picking wrong as many other teams have shown. Harbaugh is such a genius that he didn't think Kaepernick was good enough to start unless Smith got hurt.Wilson has one of the highest QBRs in the league but no team thought he was good enough to pick until the 3rd round.

You know, I must be terrible at the lottery because now that I know what the winning numbers are I should have selected them in the first place. :wallbash:

Picking a QB is a crap shoot of sorts and the NFL "geniuses" have shown it time and time again. If everyone was so smart, why did Brady go in the 6th round? Dumb luck.

Stop this nonsense. The Bills passed on 12 QBs in the draft that were picked in the first 3 rounds since Nix/Chan got here. 9 of them aren't good enough to start or haven't proven to be any better than Fitz or aren't even in the league anymore. Only three are "proven" if you can count rookies having good years (Kaepernick, Wilson and Dalton). So, they had a 75% chance of picking wrong as many other teams have shown. Harbaugh is such a genius that he didn't think Kaepernick was good enough to start unless Smith got hurt.Wilson has one of the highest QBRs in the league but no team thought he was good enough to pick until the 3rd round.

You know, I must be terrible at the lottery because now that I know what the winning numbers are I should have selected them in the first place. :wallbash:

Picking a QB is a crap shoot of sorts and the NFL "geniuses" have shown it time and time again. If everyone was so smart, why did Brady go in the 6th round? Dumb luck.

Refresh my memory on your plan to upgrade the Bills quarterbacks?

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Refresh my memory on your plan to upgrade the Bills quarterbacks?

Kidnap Gisele and force Brady to demand a trade to WNY because he loves the hotels in Buffalo. :doh:

Seriously, the Bills eventually need to draft a player they think is a "franchise" QB. I just don't fault them for not thinking one was available to them over the last 3 years. The odds are they would have failed and set the franchise back several years. I don't want them to pick one just to pick one. They can fail at picking other positions poorly without killing the team, not so with QB. My gripe is with everyone that posts here thinking it is easy in hindsight.

Edited by BisonMan

Kidnap Gisele and force Brady to demand a trade to WNY because he loves the hotels in Buffalo. :doh:

Seriously, the Bills eventually need to draft a player they think is a "franchise" QB. I just don't fault them for not thinking one was available to them over the last 3 years. The odds are they would have failed and set the franchise back several years. I don't want them to pick one just to pick one. They can fail at picking other positions poorly without killing the team, not so with QB. My gripe is with everyone that posts here thinking it is easy in hindsight.

Set the franchise back several years?!! Seriously?! THIRTEEN years without a playoff appearance...13!! And you're worried about setting the franchise back several years if they fail with a young qb? Hell, they've failed with the retread backup that they elevated to starter.These country bumpkins aren't solely responsible for that elongated drought; but they are culpable for the last three years. I say draft a qb in every draft until you get the right one. I don't care if you draft two or three on draft weekend. Just do it! Eventually even a blind squirrel finds a nut. I'm just sick of the Bills being run and coached by dip**** squirrels.

So, if by some miracle the Bills secure an elite QB either through the draft (best hope) or in FA (unlikely), I'm sure the collective wisdom about Chan's coaching ability will turn around. I personally think that Gailey is getting the most out of Fitz's limited talent and that Fitz would do worse in a more conventional offense (with more down field throws and longer patterns). Similarly, the Gailey scheme limits the exposure of our O-Line that still needs work. I've been critical of some calls by Chan but overall, I think he knows the hand he's been dealt and is putting the best face on it.

Shanahan gave up the farm for RG3 because he had conviction in what he saw from a college player.

Chan Gailey is a moron of the greatest magnitude. Remember this man spent his first off season in Buffalo allowing Brian Brohm, Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick to compete for the starting QB job. Gailey stating that all three QB's were about equal. :blink: Then Gailey chose Trent Edwards as his starter and give him all the pre season starting QB reps. Meanwhile, Fitz had to share back up QB reps with Brian Brohm (who really sucked). Then Gailey cut Edwards after two regular season games. This is the primary reason the Bills went 0-8 and fell on their face in 2010 finishing at 4-12. Fitz wasn't anywhere near ready to take over the starting QB job in 2010 and literally ran for his life the first half of that season.

What I learned from that whole scenario is that Gailey wouldn't know the difference between a great QB and poor QB even the great one came up and bit him in the ass. Gailey has had 8 QB's and the only one able to run his offense so far is Fitz. Brian Brohm, Trent Edwards, Levi Brown, Brad Smith, Vince Young, Tyler Thigpen, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tavaris Jackson.

Recall what Ryan Fitzpatrick stated after the Bills hired David Lee their new QB coach this off season? He stated that this is the first time in his career that anyone has tried to work with him on his mechanics or technique. So Gailey didn't do anything to improve Fitz, all that jackass does is call plays.

I wouldn't trust Chan Gailey to walk my dog, much less coach a new rookie QB