If Gailey is retained how bout Alex Smith?

26TrapDraw

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We all need to come to the realization that an "elite" coach will generally not want to come to a franchise unless he sees a QB there with the talent to make him successful. I think Harbaugh saw that Smith was a lot better than the 6 years and 6 offensive schemes he was saddled with for the first part of his career. We are stuck with the Gailey's of the world until Buffalo gets a top flight QB. Of course, if the Bills get a great QB, Gailey will suddenly look like a great coach and the Bills will keep him too. This story is told over and over again in the NFL. In today's game, QB play generally dictates franchise success.

Alex Smith has one of the highest QBR's this year (7th). That means that he's making positive plays to advance his team and much better than the "average" QB. I wouldn't mind having Smith over Fitz and still drafting a QB (or two!) that might become an elite QB in the league.

If our hopes are dashed to bits and Gailey and Nix are retained why not go after Alex Smith? I know he's not a great QB but he's accurate and he is a way better game manager.Thats the difference between him and Pickspatrick...plus he may not overthrow a wide open receiver by 5 yards down the sideline. Thoughts?

:thumbdown:

Why not Alex Smith? If u can get the proven, playoff winning QB, why not? If he is cheap enough, get him, start him a few seasons and have out drafted (hopefully) QB learn behind the guy. Do we really want the future of the franchise learning behind Fitz? Smith may not be the answer, or a long term solution, but why pass up on this guy?

Thats like going to the bar with a girl thats a 6 out of ten and going home with a 7. Cant go wrong!