Free Agent WR's

McKelvin Lockdown corner?You're right He's not even an adequate corner. Paying him to return kicks is silly. They have a short shelf life. Also, there not the most pressing need on the Bills. I'm hoping they don't even offer him a contract. Speculating he will get into the 7-9 mil per year range is based on what? Certainly not his coverage skills.

He's CB depth. He's not a bad 4th or 5th CB IMO. While I don't like him as a starting role, I don't think he's nearly as bad as some on this board. I think he's still improving, albeit at a slow pace. He's a monster in the return game. Considering we likely won't have a great QB anytime soon, we need all the help he can get with field position and the random TD return. No one said he was worth 7-9 mill per year. 7-9 mill over 3-4 years is what was said. He's worth that IMO. Cut brad smith if we need to make room for leodis. He's a much better contributor to this team and its not even close.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sign none of them. Resign Byrd, Levitre, urbik and Mckelvin. Signing those guys will use up most of our money. Focus on adding a QB. Whether it be in the draft, trade or FA. Without a QB, any WR additions would be a waste of money as our QB wouldn't be able to get them the ball past 8 yards.

Agreed, though adding another receiver in the draft to compete is fine with me

Sign none of them. Resign Byrd, Levitre, urbik and Mckelvin. Signing those guys will use up most of our money. Focus on adding a QB. Whether it be in the draft, trade or FA. Without a QB, any WR additions would be a waste of money as our QB wouldn't be able to get them the ball past 8 yards.

Spot on. Pip pip cheerios. Other British sayings...

I'm in the minority here, but I think we are woefully inept at WR. Any help we can get would be appreciated. I'm tired of watching teams whose QB throws the football in the general vicinity of the WR and they're able to bring it in. Saw Britt do this for the Titans on NFL Replay last night. Sidney Rice does that for Russell Wilson. Eli Manning's WRs do that on a regular basis. We need guys like that. Our guys have problems holding onto footballs that hit them in the hands.

Even if Fitz is throwing to them next year, we need a serious upgrade.

Think back to SJ's drive killing alligator arm attempt on 3rd down last week or Jones dropping the one in the EZ vs Fish and ask yourself, is this good enough? I think not. We can do better.

I think we can easily add a good WR or LB while retaining our own key guys. I know since the Mario signing there's a common belief that we aren't allowed to spend or all our free agents will be unable to sign but I've seen nothing that backs that up. I think we are in better cap shape than many give credit for.

He's CB depth. He's not a bad 4th or 5th CB IMO. While I don't like him as a starting role, I don't think he's nearly as bad as some on this board. I think he's still improving, albeit at a slow pace. He's a monster in the return game. Considering we likely won't have a great QB anytime soon, we need all the help he can get with field position and the random TD return. No one said he was worth 7-9 mill per year. 7-9 mill over 3-4 years is what was said. He's worth that IMO. Cut brad smith if we need to make room for leodis. He's a much better contributor to this team and its not even close.

agree x1000. gotta be other dead weight to cut over Leodis.

i like brad smith a lil but we can draft another WR in 5th or so and move on.

LoL. Levitre getting 22m/4 years??? No way. Maybe Urbik will get something similar to that. Levitre will be near forty million bet. 37-39m just like Stevie and Kyle W. Top OG's in the league are getting 9m or so.

Incorrect.

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/guard/

Top 5 Offensive Guard Base Salaries for 2012:

1. Chris Snee, NY Giants: $5,200,000

2. Chris Kuper, Denver Broncos: $3,500,000

3. Richie Incognito, Miami Dolphins: $3,300,000

4. Harvey Dahl, St. Louis Rams: $3,000,000

5. Charlie Johnson, Minnesota Vikings: $2,950,000

:lol:

Well...If so...Good luck with that McLovin... B-)

Brandon Flowers is making $5,750,000, and he's not quite in McKelvin's league. Leodis is having a fantasic walk year in which he has shown himself to be both a quality option at CB, shedding his bust lable, and an elite force in the return game. He'll ask for 9m and someone will pay him 7m.

Incorrect.

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/guard/

base salaries is not a good indicator. with signing bonuses, roster bonuses, and annual fluctuations etc... their income over the length of the deal is not indicated by base salary in a single year. for instance, this year carl nicks will take home 12.5m in cash between all his bonuses and stuff (and at a 6.5m salary should be on that, seemingly innaccurate list as both he, and jahri evans make more than #1 this year alone, and nicks on a per year average will be over 9m for the length. that site is missing nicks completely and has both evans and ben grubbs who just signed a good deal with the saints at 7+ per at identical 700k marks. mankins got a 6 year 51 million deal, with 20m of that in signing bonus so his salary may be low but the mans been paid big bucks.

i think the best comparable would be ben grubbs last year who got 5 years and 36m

long story short, thats a junk site and expect levitre to clock in right around 7m/year

Edited by NoSaint

I'm in the minority here, but I think we are woefully inept at WR. Any help we can get would be appreciated. I'm tired of watching teams whose QB throws the football in the general vicinity of the WR and they're able to bring it in. Saw Britt do this for the Titans on NFL Replay last night. Sidney Rice does that for Russell Wilson. Eli Manning's WRs do that on a regular basis. We need guys like that. Our guys have problems holding onto footballs that hit them in the hands.

Even if Fitz is throwing to them next year, we need a serious upgrade.

Think back to SJ's drive killing alligator arm attempt on 3rd down last week or Jones dropping the one in the EZ vs Fish and ask yourself, is this good enough? I think not. We can do better.

I hate the list of FA WRs and TEs.

No to all.

And yes to resigning Byrd and Levitre at any dollar amount. They are the Top 5 in the NFL at their position and should be paid as much.

McKelvin can walk its ok. He will want Byrd money at a minum and he is not worth it.

As for the WR. I agree. I hated Da Jones in his rookie year but he is actually developed into a nice 3rd option WR.

That being said I love Stevie, but we have a QB that can't throw and a WR that can't a run fast (Stevie) and a Coach that can't the ball into his best player's hands (Spiller).

In order for the Bills to have a legitimate chance at playoffs in 2013 we need an upgrade in 2\3 positions.

That doesn't mean get rid of SJ13 or Da. Jones that means augment and add to them.

No to all.

And yes to resigning Byrd and Levitre at any dollar amount. They are the Top 5 in the NFL at their position and should be paid as much.

McKelvin can walk its ok. He will want Byrd money at a minum and he is not worth it.

As for the WR. I agree. I hated Da Jones in his rookie year but he is actually developed into a nice 3rd option WR.

That being said I love Stevie, but we have a QB that can't throw and a WR that can't a run fast (Stevie) and a Coach that can't the ball into his best player's hands (Spiller).

In order for the Bills to have a legitimate chance at playoffs in 2013 we need an upgrade in 2\3 positions.

That doesn't mean get rid of SJ13 or Da. Jones that means augment and add to them.

Agreed. We need to upgrade 2-3 positions. If we upgrade at QB I think we'll need to upgrade at one LB position. If we don't upgrade at QB, we'll need to upgrade at both LB spots plus maybe a CB, WR, OL or safety. I think Gilmore and Brooks will be our starting CBs for awhile but an upgrade at nickel CB is a must. Rogers and Williams just aren't up to it IMO. Searcy might be replacing Scott.

No to all.

pretty much agree w/everything you just said. i've stated multiple times that our WR's are average at best. Stevie is solid, but he's supposed to be our #1..he's a low-end #1...then after that we have a bunch of practice squad players pretty much. Graham has been the highest drafted WR we've gotten in a long time and he was what, 3rd round? We need more explosiveness out of the WR position for sure.

No to all.

Where are the stats that indicate Donald Jones is good. In the years that I have seen him play, He has done nothing to indicate that he is a good number 2 receiver. Hardly that, I think Naamann Roosevelt was a better receiver. Gaily like him, What does that say.

Incorrect.

http://www.spotrac.c...ries/nfl/guard/

Wrong. Those are base salaries. Go look at contacts and you'll see that with bonuses, top OG's are making 7-9 mil per.

Ben Grubbs (not as good as Levitre IMO) 5yrs 36mil

Carl Nicks 5yrs 47.5mil

Levitre should be getting around a 7mil avg. but it wouldn't bother me if it was 8. Guy is a stud and has shown top end talent as well as an ability to stay on the field.

Edited by stony

Wrong. Those are base salaries. Go look at contacts and you'll see that with bonuses, top OG's are making 7-9 mil per.

Ben Grubbs (not as good as Levitre IMO) 5yrs 36mil

Carl Nicks 5yrs 47.5mil

Levitre should be getting around a 7mil avg. but it wouldn't bother me if it was 8. Guy is a stud and has shown top end talent as well as an ability to stay on the field.

Not just a base issue - the website is totally missing nicks for instance and has Evans and grubbs at 700k

we should go get tytus young from lions.

His name is spelled Titus and no, we shouldn't.

Brandon Flowers is making $5,750,000, and he's not quite in McKelvin's league. Leodis is having a fantasic walk year in which he has shown himself to be both a quality option at CB, shedding his bust lable, and an elite force in the return game. He'll ask for 9m and someone will pay him 7m.

Brandon Flowers is one of the best young cornerbacks in the NFL. He's like Antoine Winfield except he has better ball skills.

I'd bet 32 of 32 NFL GMs would take Flowers over McKelvin.

As far as the OP, Bowe is the best football player on the free agent WR list but he's not the field-stretcher that Wallace is. In that sense, Wallace is a better fit although again, Bowe is the better player, IMO.

Some would say that it's a moot point because we wouldn't be able to get Wallace the ball but I am making the assumption that the Bills get a quarterback in this year's draft so it is important to put the right pieces together.

Bowe reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin so of course if we got him, I'd be very pleased.

I really don't think our wrs are that bad. Nelson will be back. I think fitz lack of arm strength is holding them back. Graham is just wasted right now but he is like a physical Lee Evans. If we get a guy who can push the ball down the field, our wrs will instantly improve.

His name is spelled Titus and no, we shouldn't.

Brandon Flowers is one of the best young cornerbacks in the NFL. He's like Antoine Winfield except he has better ball skills.

I'd bet 32 of 32 NFL GMs would take Flowers over McKelvin.

As far as the OP, Bowe is the best football player on the free agent WR list but he's not the field-stretcher that Wallace is. In that sense, Wallace is a better fit although again, Bowe is the better player, IMO.

Some would say that it's a moot point because we wouldn't be able to get Wallace the ball but I am making the assumption that the Bills get a quarterback in this year's draft so it is important to put the right pieces together.

Bowe reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin so of course if we got him, I'd be very pleased.

I don't like putting that much money in the wr position. Teams don't win or lose because of wrs normally. A good QB makes wrs better and vice versa. Fitzgerald is amazing but with their QB play, he is a non-factor. Plus, Bowe has work ethic questions. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.