Inflation

TPS

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here comes QE4

If at first you don't succeed...

Yes, and watch out for the bond vigilantes. Wait a second, Holy Crap! They must be Keynesians too!

http://www.bloomberg...-inflation.html

So, how many of you here still think this will cause hyperinflation? Einstein said something about expecting different results and insanity... :nana:

Edited by TPS

Here's a list of all the countries who have attempted to remedy their economic situations with QE and failed: Zimbabwe, Japan, Post World War I Germany, New Zealand (Twice).

Here's a list of all the countries who have attempted to remedy their economic situations with QE and succeeded:

Here's a list of all the countries who have attempted to remedy their economic situations with QE and failed: Zimbabwe, Japan, Post World War I Germany, New Zealand (Twice).

Here's a list of all the countries who have attempted to remedy their economic situations with QE and succeeded:

I've written previously (over 2 years ago) on why QE doesn't and won't work. My disagreement is that it won't cause hyperinflation in the US. Printing money in countries that are capital deficient (in the physical sense like hammers) fits your model; that does not describe the US. The US is operating at <80% capacity and the formal unemployment measure is almost 8%. Because your monetary beliefs are a one-size-fits-all, you can't see this.

Yes, and watch out for the bond vigilantes. Wait a second, Holy Crap! They must be Keynesians too!

http://www.bloomberg...-inflation.html

So, how many of you here still think this will cause hyperinflation? Einstein said something about expecting different results and insanity... :nana:

No he didn't. That's just the most popularly mis-attributed quotation out there.

Edited by Jauronimo

It's yet to be demonstarated that it can work, and I offered you a list of economies that range across a broad spectrum of capital bases; and just for ***** and giggles, we can add the first three rounds of QE in the US. It hasn't worked, has spiked commodity demand, and we haven't even felt the effects of rounds 2 and 3 yet.

As to this: "Because your monetary beliefs are a one-size-fits-all, you can't see this."

Pot, meet kettle.

It's yet to be demonstarated that it can work, and I offered you a list of economies that range across a broad spectrum of capital bases; and just for ***** and giggles, we can add the first three rounds of QE in the US. It hasn't worked, has spiked commodity demand, and we haven't even felt the effects of rounds 2 and 3 yet.

As to this: "Because your monetary beliefs are a one-size-fits-all, you can't see this."

Pot, meet kettle.

Read the post again. I agree that it doesn't work, and you support my reasoning--I've argued that exact point about commodity speculation...uh...demand.

Did Japan suffer hyperinflation? Once again, I have NOT argued QE works; I have argued it won't cause hyperinflation.

All Glory to THe Benbernanke

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100306053

So my question is why only $45 Billion a month? Why not $100 Billion a month? Why even stop somewhere in the Billions?

Why not just crank it up to $1 Trillion per month? We could pay off the National Debt in a year and a half

Edited by /dev/null

Post war Germany??? Seriously? You are so pathetically ignorant it's astounding. Do you know anything about the German situation at the time? The French occupation, reparations, political stagnation. You really should just shut your ignorant self up.

All Glory to THe Benbernanke

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100306053

So my question is why only $45 Billion a month? Why not $100 Billion a month? Why even stop somewhere in the Billions?

Why not just crank it up to $1 Trillion per month? We could pay off the National Debt in a year and a half

Why not $45 billion? What's wrong with that?

Post war Germany??? Seriously? You are so pathetically ignorant it's astounding. Do you know anything about the German situation at the time? The French occupation, reparations, political stagnation. You really should just shut your ignorant self up.
The politics that caused the economic situation is irrelevant to the existance of the economic situation. Regardless of the cause, the government's gold was depleted. In response, the German Government attempted to buy foreign currency with German currency, but this caused the Mark to rapidly decline in value, greatly increasing the number of Marks needed to buy foreign currencies. This caused the price of goods to spike, increasing the cost of operating the government which could not be financed by raising taxes (again, the reason for this inability to finance the cost of the public sector with taxes is irrelevant to a discussion about the inability to do so.). The resulting budget deficit rapidly increased and was financed by the German central bank creating more money. When the German people realized that their money was rapidly losing value, they tried to spend it quickly, increasing the velocity of money, which in turn caused still more inflation, which created a vicious cycle. Edited by TakeYouToTasker

That's what I'm asking. Why $45B? How did they come up with that number? If that number will help the economy, wouldn't adding even more money to this round of QE{n} help even more?

The French occupation of Germany after WWll set Germany back many years. The Vichy government was almost as bad on the everyday German as the Russians were. What really helped Germany was when the westerners imposed the Marshall Dillion plan on them.

Edited by 3rdnlng

Maybe you should explain it to him?

The politics that caused the economic situation is irrelevant to the existance of the economic situation. Regardless of the cause, the government's gold was depleted. In response, the German Government attempted to buy foreign currency with German currency, but this caused the Mark to rapidly decline in value, greatly increasing the number of Marks needed to buy foreign currencies. This caused the price of goods to spike, increasing the cost of operating the government which could not be financed by raising taxes (again, the reason for this inability to finance the cost of the public sector with taxes is irrelevant to a discussion about the inability to do so.). The resulting budget deficit rapidly increased and was financed by the German central bank creating more money. When the German people realized that their money was rapidly losing value, they tried to spend it quickly, increasing the velocity of money, which in turn caused still more inflation, which created a vicious cycle.

You are an idiot. Yes, the French occupying the industrial region and a general strike paralyzing the economy had nothing to do with it...you fool. Tom thinks you are right, so you should be proud

That's what I'm asking. Why $45B? How did they come up with that number? If that number will help the economy, wouldn't adding even more money to this round of QE{n} help even more?

That's stupid. It's like saying drinking two beers is the same as drinking 20. Duh!