The Marshawn Lynch trade; three years later

peterpan

I think most Packer fans are pissed they didnt step up and offer more than the Seahawks.

Agreed. I hear he's still up to his old ways but atleast a clean(ish) slate for him there.

Another thing most don't think about - he has some nasty back problems that have lingered. Not just off field issues.

Exactly how many games has he missed because of his back problems since we traded him....my guess not many.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most Packer fans are pissed they didnt step up and offer more than the Seahawks.

Exactly how many games has he missed because of his back problems since we traded him....my guess not many.

A couple.

But we're talking hindsight and only after a short window. In foresight he had a ton of red flags. additionally he's still getting arrested, and who knows how long he lasts.

Would you like more looking back? Sure. Could it have been bad if he stayed? Yup. Could he be done any given day? That's why he only got a 4.

Edited by NoSaint

So what did you guys want? To keep Freddy, Marshawn, and CJ?

Actually no. There were quite a few fans who never wanted them drafted in the first place. Shiny toys who help the team miss the playoffs year after year. Get some big scary men who want to crush people's spines on this team before you draft another lynch.

I want to count on them every Sunday. Marshawn didn't show up weekly (remember that fun stretch when he was out of shape, or better yet suspended).

He had a ton of red flags and we gave him a shot. Don't give me some bs about only getting good guys at the expense of talent PP. also, remind me what getting buffoons got Detroit, or cincy, or Dallas?

I think you are being hard on Lynch...or just trying to justify a horrible trade. Drinking the Bflo koolaid. They cut their own nuts off by drafting CJ with 2 RBs on the roster, then "showcased" Lynch by giving him all of 37 carries. His last full year as a starter, he had over 1300 yards and 9 TDs with a completely crap Oline. If he was a dixie boy, I guarantee they woulda kept him. The Spiller/Lynch situation, in retrospect, was the first sign of incompetence and it was handled as poorly as you could handle it.

Keep running talent out of town and you'll get, well, your 2012 Buffalo Bills.

I think you are being hard on Lynch...or just trying to justify a horrible trade. Drinking the Bflo koolaid. They cut their own nuts off by drafting CJ with 2 RBs on the roster, then "showcased" Lynch by giving him all of 37 carries. His last full year as a starter, he had over 1300 yards and 9 TDs with a completely crap Oline. If he was a dixie boy, I guarantee they woulda kept him. The Spiller/Lynch situation, in retrospect, was the first sign of incompetence and it was handled as poorly as you could handle it.

Keep running talent out of town and you'll get, well, your 2012 Buffalo Bills.

I think your forgetting a lot of stuff, ignoring a lot of reports of stuff that wasn't "caught" and assuming he followed best case scenario here.

If we got ripped off so badly for such a obviously great commodity, where were all the better offers?

Would I like his talent? Sure. Do I get why he's gone? Definitely. It was a bad situation. There was no obvious winning choice with him.

Edited by NoSaint

The trade was a fair market trade. Part of the problem was you had a new coach and a new system that didnt rely on a power, in between the tackle back.

The other issue was the off the field issues with suspensions and the risk of another one that could happen.

they had 2 proven backs that were similar then they drafted for CJ so you had a three headed monster that someone had to go. They werent going to trade CJ, Fredddie likely wouldnt have gotten anything back while Lynch could have gotten something.

Harriston is a fine OT.

Let's not forget spending yet another 1st rounder on a RB, which coulda been used on another position of need.....or maybe a cornerback.

I like Spiller's electric ability as much as anyone...I loved the kid in College...But I never expected The Bills to take him because of Lynch and Jackson...And I still think it was the wrong move for this Franchise...

I know how some of you hate the hindsight thing...But there was no shortage of talent in that 2010 1st Round...Imagine what keeping Lynch, and adding Dez Bryant, JPP, or Demaryius Thomas, would have done for this Roster...Anthony Davis is a super solid OT...You have to build a Roster in the NFL...And Nix showed from his initial 1st Round Pick he does not have a great grasp on that idea...CJ is pretty much exactly the home run hitter Nix told us he would be...He's electrifying...But The Bills still suck WAY too much on Offense...Nix ignored the QB position in the Draft...Broken record time, but understanding how you build a winning Franchise MUST include a heck of a good plan at QB...And yet again, they lose more than they win...

And here we go again, Nix will be grasping for that winning formula yet another year...Oh boy! :thumbsup:

I think your forgetting a lot of stuff, ignoring a lot of reports of stuff that wasn't "caught" and assuming he followed best case scenario here.

If we got ripped off so badly for such a obviously great commodity, where were all the better offers?

Would I like his talent? Sure. Do I get why he's gone? Definitely. It was a bad situation. There was no obvious winning choice with him.

I disagree. It was grossly mishandled.

The trade was a fair market trade. Part of the problem was you had a new coach and a new system that didnt rely on a power, in between the tackle back.

The other issue was the off the field issues with suspensions and the risk of another one that could happen.

they had 2 proven backs that were similar then they drafted for CJ so you had a three headed monster that someone had to go. They werent going to trade CJ, Fredddie likely wouldnt have gotten anything back while Lynch could have gotten something.

Harriston is a fine OT.

Enjoy your Koolaid.

I like Spiller's electric ability as much as anyone...I loved the kid in College...But I never expected The Bills to take him because of Lynch and Jackson...And I still think it was the wrong move for this Franchise...

I know how some of you hate the hindsight thing...But there was no shortage of talent in that 2010 1st Round...Imagine what keeping Lynch, and adding Dez Bryant, JPP, or Demaryius Thomas, would have done for this Roster...Anthony Davis is a super solid OT...You have to build a Roster in the NFL...And Nix showed from his initial 1st Round Pick he does not have a great grasp on that idea...CJ is pretty much exactly the home run hitter Nix told us he would be...He's electrifying...But The Bills still suck WAY too much on Offense...Nix ignored the QB position in the Draft...Broken record time, but understanding how you build a winning Franchise MUST include a heck of a good plan at QB...And yet again, they lose more than they win...

And here we go again, Nix will be grasping for that winning formula yet another year...Oh boy! :thumbsup:

Imagine Dez Byrant? What a nightmare that would be with this cast.

I disagree. It was grossly mishandled.

Enjoy your Koolaid.

What is proper protocol when your young running back with multiple strikes (likely DUI hit and run with teammates in the car, and an incident with guns and drugs in the car) a history of mysterious "mistaken identity" gang related events in HS and college, a reckless running style with a bad back, a desire to get out of town and a great big target on him with local law enforcement and coming off a season where he was suspended multiple games and showed up in underwhelming shape, whos teammates didnt seem to much like him at times, who is a potential major influence on your up ans coming star WR, and he is a guy due for his next big contract and signing bonus? Not to mention, i assume we dont know everything behind closed doors. Do you give him the deal and hope for the best? Or do you take the HUGE talent rb staring you in the face and see what you can get to move on?

I love his talent but let's not pretend he was an easy or obvious situation. It might not have been ideal, but lets also not forget which side was the one that could've fixed it all. It wasn't Nix

The irony that everyone's winning formula is give spiller the ball. Yet taking spiller was the wrong choice.

Sounds like an issue with his touches, not his drafting.

Trading him was a joke. This organization has been poorly run for a long time.

I like Spiller.. a lot, but we had no business drafting him. We had two great RB's already. We were(and still are) a team with a list of glaring needs and we spent a 1st round pick on another RB. I still makes no sense. We trade a RB for pretty much nothing and he's a top RB in the league.

It makes me laugh when so many Bills fans defend this organization. No wonder we have been bad for so long, so many of the fans don't demand better. They're on board with all this nonsense.

Just like when the Bills hired Gailey/Nix. So many of the fans loved the move. Called them "good football people". What a joke.

I seem to recall some talk that Marshawn was a Ralph Wilson selection back in that draft, as well as that 4th round RB (Fresno State) we took the same year.

Of course, there is always post-draft talk, and no one really knows who was behind a particular selection, but I wonder if there is any truth to that talk.

Imagine Dez Byrant? What a nightmare that would be with this cast.

Bryant has his issues...But he's also a beast of a WR when he's on his game...I think it may have been better for Bryant to get out of Texas anyway...Maybe it would help his concentration off the field... B-)

Its been 3 years and we play Seattle this week so I think we can grade out this trade.

Lynch for a 4th and 6th.

Those two picks turned into Hairston (backup tackle) and Tank Carder (cut during his 1st preseason).

Given that we also have Jackson and Spiller, was this is good trade?

I say HELLO NO. Discuss

hope no one is forgetting it freed up $7.75 mil/yr in Cap space....

so we traded Lynch for a 4th, 6th & Free Agent to be named later...

3/4/2012: Signed a four-year, $31 million contract. The deal contains $17 million guaranteed, including a $6 milling signing bonus and all of Lynch's first- and second-year base salaries. Another $1 million is available through incentives in the final two years based on 1,500-yard rushing seasons. 2012: $4 million, 2013: $7 million, 2014: $5 million (+ $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses), 2015: $5.5 million (+ $2 million in per-game roster bonuses), 2016: Free Agent

If trading Lynch was a necessity, they should have traded him during the draft and translated him into more picks. For a team with bare cupboards and what some have described as "an expansion team like roster," how can getting more picks not be considered an option? "We wanted three guys," doesn't hold much water when one of the three guys is dumped at the trade deadline for future picks.

Lynch was pretty bad when he was here - he was slow and ran directly to contact. He's certainly played much better for Seattle, so the possible explanations are that Seattle is making better use of him, or that he didn't feel like trying very hard while he was here. Its probably a combination of both.

Edited by SoFFacet

What is proper protocol when your young running back with multiple strikes (likely DUI hit and run with teammates in the car, and an incident with guns and drugs in the car) a history of mysterious "mistaken identity" gang related events in HS and college, a reckless running style with a bad back, a desire to get out of town and a great big target on him with local law enforcement and coming off a season where he was suspended multiple games and showed up in underwhelming shape, whos teammates didnt seem to much like him at times, who is a potential major influence on your up ans coming star WR, and he is a guy due for his next big contract and signing bonus? Not to mention, i assume we dont know everything behind closed doors. Do you give him the deal and hope for the best? Or do you take the HUGE talent rb staring you in the face and see what you can get to move on?

I love his talent but let's not pretend he was an easy or obvious situation. It might not have been ideal, but lets also not forget which side was the one that could've fixed it all. It wasn't Nix

The irony that everyone's winning formula is give spiller the ball. Yet taking spiller was the wrong choice.

Sounds like an issue with his touches, not his drafting.

No, it sounds like that is your opinion...And admittedly the opinion of others around here...And sure Spiller should get the ball more...I don't want this to sound like I'm bashing Spiller either...Because I'm not...He's a great player and now, he's ours...I love watching him on Sunday...

But that's not what my post was about...Spiller is unquestionably amazing at times no matter how much he touches the ball...Still, it's my opinion that The Bills should have gone elsewhere and kept Lynch and Freddie...I said it that Draft day, and I'm not going to waver on that opinion...It's about building a team, not grabbing a player at a position of great depth and saying..."Oh! Look!!! Shiny TD machine!!!" And furthermore, if your HC is unwilling, or unable to get the kid the ball more, then the pick is even dumber...It was, in retrospect, a predictable pick by a GM who has proven he's in a bit over his head... B-)

Lynch was pretty bad when he was here - he was slow and ran directly to contact. He's certainly played much better for Seattle, so the possible explanations are that Seattle is making better use of him, or that he didn't feel like trying very hard while he was here. Its probably a combination of both.

The Bills O-Line has improved quite a bit since Lynch was here... B-)