Trade for Kirk Cousins

We shouldn't get Cousins because of the Rob Johnson mistake.

We shouldn't draft QBs in the 1st because of the JP Losman mistake.

We shouldn't draft QBs in the 2nd because of the Todd Collins mistake.

We shouldn't draft a QB in the 3rd because of the Trent Edwards mistake.

We shouldn't trade for a veteran QB because of the Drew Bledsoe mistake.

As I preach here all the time, EVERY situation is different. You evaluate players and the market on a case-by-case basis.

Apparently lots of people go through life using simplified reasoning. I wonder why that is?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget the "what if" excuses, trade for Cousins and the Bills' future looks mighty promising especially once Brady and Manning finally get off the stage.

This post confounds me.

Don't get me wrong, your initial point was extremely well delivered. So much so that I reassessed my views and altered my thoughts on the situation.

Essentially, yes....it is a crap shoot trying to obtain a star QB regardless of which route you take trying to do it. It would be wrong to discount any avenue and if one is convinced of a players potential then it is irrelevant how one obtains the player.

(Until your post I was not of this view)

You then unfortunately followed up.

The Bills future will not look mighty promising until we have a QB that, while in a Bills uniform, shows consistently that he is our QB of the future. Until that happens we are in the aforementioned crap shoot.

Forget the "what if" excuses, trade for Cousins and the Bills' future looks mighty promising especially once Brady and Manning finally get off the stage.

It's not saying "he can't succeed because they didnt" it's saying "one game doesn't prove anything."

Just trotting out one game of stats would mean there would be about 30 franchise qbs in the league. Even with one good game, he still has the questions that pushed him to a 4th round evaluation, unless everyone missed on him or he just got much better really quickly. It's possible but it's not great odds using historic stats on how many of these turn out good.

An interesting piece for an nfl writer to take on post Super Bowl but pre-free agency, in that gap where theres not a ton of new news, would be the correlation between QBR in your first start and your career (or some variation on that). Too much work, won't happen. I'm guessing its not a great predictor but really don't know.

Edited by NoSaint

On the local DC radio. They debating an offer for Cousins of two 2nd round picks.

What say you TBD?

2013 & 2014 2nd round pick for Kirk Cousins

I liked him comming out of Michigan St. Some of the talk on this board was that they thought he collapsed in big games.

He didn't collpase in 2 big NFL games.

2 second rounders that's all? Great Troup and A. Williams for Cousins sounds good

Cousins is an absolute ball-hog. Clearly, he wants to be THE GUY somewhere in the NFL. I always knew he was a great leader, and I knew he could play. I didn't like him anywhere near as much as I liked R. Wilson, but Cousins definitely had a spark.

That said, I hope he stays THE HELL away from the Bills Roster as long as Gailey is HC.

Gailey ruins everything he touches. He did it to Fitz. He did it to our offense. He'll do it to whoever gives him the chance.

The man is an embarassment.

FIRE CHAN GAILEY!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by #34fan

Cousins is an absolute ball-hog. Clearly, he wants to be THE GUY somewhere in the NFL. I always knew he was a great leader, and I knew he could play. I didn't like him anywhere near as much as I liked R. Wilson, but Cousins definitely had a spark.

That said, I hope he stays THE HELL away from the Bills Roster as long as Gailey is HC.

Gailey ruins everything he touches. He did it to Fitz. He did it to our offense. He'll do it to whoever gives him the chance.

The man is an embarassment.

FIRE CHAN GAILEY!!!!!!!!!!

I've sadly become a big critic of Chan Gailey but I don't necessarily believe that he'd ruin the most talented quarterback that he'd ever have the opportunity to coach.

I've sadly become a big critic of Chan Gailey but I don't necessarily believe that he'd ruin the most talented quarterback that he'd ever have the opportunity to coach.

If your son was a young star QB, would you want Chan to coach him?

First of all, I think we'd all wish that our quarterback sons played for a very dynamic genius like Bill Walsh but that's not the point.

Chan has never really coached a very talented quarterback so I can't say what degree of grey he would succeed or fail at and it's not a black and white issue. For all we know he'd be a great quarterbacks coach if he had a gifted pupil. Or more good than bad.

I don't know so I can't say.

He's probably a bad head coach though.

First of all, I think we'd all wish that our quarterback sons played for a very dynamic genius like Bill Walsh but that's not the point.

Chan has never really coached a very talented quarterback so I can't say what degree of grey he would succeed or fail at and it's not a black and white issue. For all we know he'd be a great quarterbacks coach if he had a gifted pupil. Or more good than bad.

I don't know so I can't say.

He's probably a bad head coach though.

"Never coached a very talented QB?"

How would we know?

I thought slash was pretty talented. Troy Aikman was pretty good. Troy didn't win d!#k with Gailey. Kordell played almost every position on the field, before getting his shot at starter, and then Gailey was gone.

Then you look at a kid like Josh Nesbitt, who Gailey definitely had the chance to mold. What did Chan do for him? I'll tell you what he did. -He turned him into a half-a$$ed safety, and then cut him.

I've never exactly been on "Team Fitzpatrick" myself, but can you honestly say that Fitz has flourished in Chan's offense?

What about the three other QB's currently varnishing the Bills bench, with no chance of a start, or any hope of development?

To me,, this issue is SO black and white, it's not even funny. Giving Chan a gifted pupil, is like giving a toothless man a bag of Granny-Smith apples.

Clearly, nothing develops with Gailey. Not his assistants, not his players, and not his offense.

Edited by #34fan

Have I missed something?

4th round draft pick has a good first NFL game.

Young star QB?

Wow. :rolleyes:

What I see is a Young QB that could make all the throws and when under pressure made good decisions. We need two QB's next year unless we are willing to keep Fitz and hope he is the back up. Thigpin has to go, I would rather bring in two rookies in a competition of best man wins. I would not mind having Fitz as a back up but think the current coaching would not want to risk putting a rookie in over Fitz, They seem to have a fear to succeed. I think earlier in Fitz's career he was able to put a long ball up that was catch-able, no not so much and that is why the offense has stalled, a QB who can stretch the field this offense becomes much better. My guess in the Draft we will use our fist pick on a LB then need to move up to later 1st round to get the next available QB thus giving up a 2nd to get a QB anyway so why not spend it now and use our 3rd to get the back up QB?

While that would mean he was in the NFL, so yes. I'm on the fire Chan bandwagon but holy crap people overreact to everything. Fitz isn't the worst QB in the league when he came here but Chan absolutely maximized his potential. I know for a fact that Mrs. Fitz is very glad Chan coached Fitz because Chan made them a ton of money.

And I feel bad. I never cared at all about Cousins. He was just another whatever QB but this thread is making me root against him. I don't think Cousins family would have a 9 page thread on him. The Bills can do much better than Kirk Cousins.

Exactly. Pretty hillarious actually. Even more hillarious is the thought that Washington would trade him.

Washington would take a 3rd pick in a second for Cousins. The guy was pretty good at MSU but people act like there isn't a bunch of Kirk Cousins in every draft. Guess what? They are.

Brady was a backup in NE. Kurt Warner was a backup in St Louis. Brett Favre was a backup in Atlanta. Matt Schaub was a backup in Atlanta. Should I go on?

Let me help......Rob Johnson was a back up in Jacksonville (and looked like a world beater in relief of Brunell)

The final chapter has not been written on the careers of Troup or Williams.

That said, it's hard to argue with this logic.

The final chapter is being written. Troup is done, Williams may improve, but I would in essence trade those two any day for Cousins. And I was yelling at the TV when the Redskins took him. Because I really wanted him, and thought he would have been the next pick for the Bills.

Edited by RyanC883

Have I missed something?

4th round draft pick has a good first NFL game.

Young star QB?

Wow. :rolleyes:

Yup. Book it, and stamp my name on it.

You sound just like a few Russell Wilson doubters did back in February. -It's laughable.

What people like you fail to realize is that QB potential isn't as much about prototypes, as it is about personality types. I feel sad for you because you'll always be behind the curve when it comes to assessing talent.

I'll take a shorter kid that's willing to fight, and learn from his mistakes as my QB any day over the walking bundles of stats and "measurables" that people like you drool over.

FYI, If I'm wrong about Cousins, I'll gladly own it. RG3, Kirk is definitely NOT. But any rookie that can stand-in for an act like Griffin, and STILL deliver the goods, has something you can't put down on a peice of paper.

I'll let you go nuts trying to figure out what that is. :lol: