Chan has a great eye for WR's

jonramz

Others might not give a crap.... but I find it fascinating that Chan recruited both Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas to Georgia Tech while he was coaching there.

You could make an argument that those are the top 2 talented WR's in the NFL right now

By the way, his name is Giff Smith. ;)

Giff Smith was the recruiting coordinator at Georgia Tech when they had some of the best recruiting classes in the school's history. He is still regarded as a great recruiter. Unfortunately for Tech fans, he left Tech to coach defensive line for the Buffalo Bills.

Others might not give a crap.... but I find it fascinating that Chan recruited both Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas to Georgia Tech while he was coaching there.

You could make an argument that those are the top 2 talented WR's in the NFL right now

Wish he had an eye here, this gaggle of WRs we have is ridicules.

Wish he had an eye here, this gaggle of WRs we have is ridicules.

Which WR have we missed getting? This isn't college where you have a chance to get a top guy any year.

Given where they came from, I'll give our crew credit.

Doesn't mean they are great, but great value given their origins.

I would be more impressed if had brought in some talented WR's here. All he did was bring us TJ and then he chose not to really use him.

College recruiting is a different animal than the NFL.

Its impressive that someone got them to commit to Georgia tech with several SEC schools in the area

Yeah, I was thinking that too...I wonder why. Was the hype on them just not as high as you would think coming out of HS based on what we know about them now? They are just so talented and gifted I would think they would have been among the top WR recruits in the country (although I have no idea if they were) and would have had better options. If they were, and Chan lured them to him, then big kudos to him and I would be a little more impressed by that.

Yeah, I was thinking that too...I wonder why. Was the hype on them just not as high as you would think coming out of HS based on what we know about them now? They are just so talented and gifted I would think they would have been among the top WR recruits in the country (although I have no idea if they were) and would have had better options. If they were, and Chan lured them to him, then big kudos to him and I would be a little more impressed by that.

Google reveals:

Johnson was rated among the nation's top 10 wide receivers and top 100 players by virtually every recruiting analyst. He was tabbed the No. 4 wide receiver and No. 15 player in the nation by TheInsiders.com, named to the Super Southern 100 by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Rivals 100 by Rivals.com, TheInsiders.com Hot 100, the SuperPrep All-America 275 and the Prep Star Top 100 Dream Team.[3]

He was also rated the No. 1 player in Georgia, No. 12 in the Southeast and No. 37 in the nation by Rivals.com, the No. 7 wide receiver in the nation by SuperPrep. First-team all-state selection (Class AAAA) by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Finally, he was tabbed to the AJC's preseason Super 11.[3] By the time he was a junior, he was ranked as within the top 10 wide receivers and the top 100 players in the nation by almost every writer.[3]

Which WR have we missed getting? This isn't college where you have a chance to get a top guy any year.

Given where they came from, I'll give our crew credit.

Doesn't mean they are great, but great value given their origins.

After 3 years we should have gotten way better guys here, just like our QB.

Wouldn't it actually be the exact opposite? He had Calvin Johnson and Demarius Thomas (and Steven Hill? Or no?) and still decided to run a triple option offense! Couldn't beat rivals with 2 future top NFL receivers? If he had a "good eye' than doesn't he throw it to his best players, not run an Army offense?

Chan didn't run the triple option, Paul Johnson is.