December Movies: The Hobbit, Les Miserables, Django Unchained, & J

Mark Vader

Saw "This is 40" with the wife last weekend. I'm not easy to impress, and I will say that this was a funny, funny movie. There were several times throughout the movie where I had tears rolling down my face due to hysterical laughter. It's particularly relevant, I suppose, for folks like myself who are in their mid 30's and have a family. Great flick....recommend to all.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw "This is 40" with the wife last weekend. I'm not easy to impress, and I will say that this was a funny, funny movie. There were several times throughout the movie where I had tears rolling down my face due to hysterical laughter. It's particularly relevant, I suppose, for folks like myself who are in their mid 30's and have a family. Great flick....recommend to all.

Interesting. I'd have thought snuff films were more your thing.

"Kill Bill" was nothing special.

I have yet to see "Inglorious Basterds", and I think "Jackie Brown" is underrated.

I do like Tarantino, but I also think he's a bit overrated. As for "Django Unchained", I was far more interested in this movie when Will Smith was set to star in it. Jamie Foxx does nothing for me.

Jackie Brown was great.....Inglorious Basterds is a must watch great for HD/surroundsound home theatre........opening scene and Christopher Waltz(sp) i think is just amazing.

How good looking was Anne Hathaway in Les Miz? Im not a big musicals fan but love me some Anne Hathaway.......... Don't think I will see it as "this is 40" is tops on the list presently for me.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Jackie Brown was great.....Inglorious Basterds is a must watch great for HD/surroundsound home theatre........opening scene and Christopher Waltz(sp) i think is just amazing.

How good looking was Anne Hathaway in Les Miz? Im not a big musicals fan but love me some Anne Hathaway.......... Don't think I will see it as "this is 40" is tops on the list presently for me.

Anne Hathaway is very good looking, until she reaches rock bottom and has her hair chopped off and a few teeth ripped out. She lost weight for the part which was very effective.

She pretty much earns an Oscar nomination when she sings "I Dreamed A Dream". Trust me, she is phenomenal in that scene.

I have been highly critical of Anne Hathaway in the past. I always saw her as just another pretty face and overrated as an actor.

However, after this year, with her performances in "The Dark Knight Rises" & "Les Miserables", she has shown me that she can deliver a strong performance, and I hope we see more of this from her in the future.

Anne Hathaway is very good looking, until she reaches rock bottom and has her hair chopped off and a few teeth ripped out. She lost weight for the part which was very effective.

She pretty much earns an Oscar nomination when she sings "I Dreamed A Dream". Trust me, she is phenomenal in that scene.

I have been highly critical of Anne Hathaway in the past. I always saw her as just another pretty face and overrated as an actor.

However, after this year, with her performances in "The Dark Knight Rises" & "Les Miserables", she has shown me that she can deliver a strong performance, and I hope we see more of this from her in the future.

Yea, i like her a lot. I saw her on some talk show she was singing some showtunes and really sounded like a pro.

just heard from a co-worker that Django was really good FWIW

Yea, i like her a lot. I saw her on some talk show she was singing some showtunes and really sounded like a pro.

just heard from a co-worker that Django was really good FWIW

Yeah I'm sure Django is good, I just am not as excited about it as others are.

When Will Smith was originally set to star in it, I was very interested in seeing it, but once Smith dropped out and he was replaced by Jamie Foxx.....well that is quite a drop off.

I will probably see it out of necessity because it will probably get a best picture nomination.

Just saw Le Mis. I know pretty much everybody disagrees I've seen give opinions on here or anywhere else...but my and my gf hated it. I was shocked I don't even see the appeal or how it got the buzz it got. It's absolutely terrible imo...my gf loves musicals and she hated it too.

Edited by SameOldBills

Just saw Le Mis. I know pretty much everybody disagrees I've seen give opinions on here or anywhere else...but my and my gf hated it. I was shocked I don't even see the appeal or how it got the buzz it got. It's absolutely terrible imo...my gf loves musicals and she hated it too.

your going to hurt Marks feelings. Shhhhh...

I can't wait for The Hobbit

That's what she said.

Wait, that doesn't really make any sense.

Never mind.

The wife dragged me to see Circe Du Sole and it was a total and complete waste of money. I actually dozed off!

That's not how that's spelled.

Don't worry.

Mrags will get us the proper spelling. He's a French wiz.

That's what she said.

Wait, that doesn't really make any sense.

Never mind.

That's not how that's spelled.

Don't worry.

Mrags will get us the proper spelling. He's a French wiz.

ok. When you said this, I instantly thought if this and almost pissed myself.

Just saw Lincoln tonight. I predict an Oscar sweep.

PTR

I think it will run into more trouble than people think. He'll get best actor, and I'm a huge fan of his he's my favorite actor ever...but I actually think Denzel should at least compete for that this year which is something nobody even talks about and he may not even get a nod...and they may give the picture to Le Terrible the Movie.

I know this was last month, but saw Silver Linings last week and thought it sucked.

Can't wait to see Miz, daughter has gone twice already..

And Mark the two criticisms I have heard consistently is Crowe does not have the voice and Cohen and the part is too over the top, and not just the little comic interlude as intended in the play.

I know this was last month, but saw Silver Linings last week and thought it sucked.

Can't wait to see Miz, daughter has gone twice already..

And Mark the two criticisms I have heard consistently is Crowe does not have the voice and Cohen and the part is too over the top, and not just the little comic interlude as intended in the play.

I haven't seen "Silver Linings Playbook" yet, you are the first person who has told me they didn't like it.

As for Russell Crowe, it's true he does not have the voice, but he's still good in the part. A bit surprised that Cohen is getting criticism, considering that he's Thenardier, what were people expecting?

Oh well, you can not please everybody, and they all have their own opinions.

Saw "Les Miserables" today. The hype and awards buzz is justified. Definitely one of the better movies I have seen this year.

The entire cast delivers, Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway & Eddie Redmayne are most impressive. Having the actors sing LIVE, instead of being recorded in a studio, added much more emotion and feel to the movie. Fans of the musical will be impressed. This movie is definitely a front runner for best picture.

Sacha Baron Cohen & Helena Bonham Carter were ideal casting choices for the Thenardier's.

Thanks for the review. I haven't seen it yet, but heard Anne Hathaway' " I dreamed a dream" on Sirius today and thought it was great. She sang it like it should be sung-- so full of regret. Looking forward to seeing the movie now.