Nix tired of HC/QB questions...says both are as safe as ever

Alphadawg7

I don't think Chix is that old glue horse. Slick Dick was.I guess that it boils down to everyone's opinion of Nix. Now, I don't agree with every move nix has made, and I don't think Nix himself would either, but every complaint we as fans scream about not retaining good players, or opening the piggy bank in free agency Nix has addressed. Now I remember back in the day, when rookie QBs didn't start, their was a term for a QB holding the rookies spot.....any one remember what it was?

What most people like you don't understand about rebuilding is that each year players are aging and contracts are expiring. This year alone, the Bills have decisions to make on Byrd, Levitre, and perhaps even McKelvin. Next year, every player is a year older and the Bills are no further along in the rebuild process. I'd even argue this rebuild is worse than the previous attempts under Levy and Donahoe, which goes against the conventional wisdom that Nix was a better talent evaluator. Well, he's not a better GM if the record means anything.

The two teams that started rebuilds in 2010, Seattle and Washington, are both demonstrating success after 2 seasons. Seattle is 7-9, 7-9, and 7-5. Washington 6-10, 5-11, and 6-6. Both are in the playoff hunt while the Bills have been all but eliminated. If the standard of excellence is not winning but losing with a better roster on paper, well then Buffalo has succeeded. Too bad that doesn't get you a playoff appearance.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chan will be safe, barring an epic collapse, and we will draft a QB, who likely will be groomed next year--which means Fitz will be back for at least half of the season. And if this D keeps playing the way it is, Wanny will be safe too.

Wish someone in the Bills organization would speak up. This team's woes are more than not being consistent, and not "fitting it up." We have a QB whose arm was bad last year, and is even worse this year--how that is possible, considering the guy is in his prime, I don't know--an overly-conservative HC who prefers to have opposing defenses dictate our plays when everyone knows our only strength is running, a DC whose stubborness and lack of creativity caused one of the worst two game stretches in modern NFL history, a GM obsessed with drafting CBs when he should be obsessed with drafting QBs, and a frail owner whose role is undefined to this fan.

There needs to be a change somewhere if we Bills fans will be realistically hoping for a playoff berth next season.

This post is dead-on.

It's clear that we jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire with Gailey. Neither him, or Wanny is ever going to bring Championship football back to WNY.

We can't be afraid to correct this mistake.

your right, if that's what you really wanted to be.

My point wasent about how the coach left, its that Brady has had one coach. Eli has had one. Rodgers has had one. Payton had, well himself, brees has had two. The teams on top have been playing their systems for so long, we will never be able to compete if were learning our system every few years.

But your right. Absolutely. Beyond a shadow of a doubt. Right.

the difference is that all these QBs you mentioned, besides being HOF quality QBs, is that they have GOOD head coaches.

We have Fitz and Chan. There's clearly a difference.

What most people like you don't understand about rebuilding is that each year players are aging and contracts are expiring. This year alone, the Bills have decisions to make on Byrd, Levitre, and perhaps even McKelvin. Next year, every player is a year older and the Bills are no further along in the rebuild process. I'd even argue this rebuild is worse than the previous attempts under Levy and Donahoe, which goes against the conventional wisdom that Nix was a better talent evaluator. Well, he's not a better GM if the record means anything.

The two teams that started rebuilds in 2010, Seattle and Washington, are both demonstrating success after 2 seasons. Seattle is 7-9, 7-9, and 7-5. Washington 6-10, 5-11, and 6-6. Both are in the playoff hunt while the Bills have been all but eliminated. If the standard of excellence is not winning but losing with a better roster on paper, well then Buffalo has succeeded. Too bad that doesn't get you a playoff appearance.

Good points all...

And what did Washington and Seattle do to assure these turnarounds?...They addressed the QB position...Not once mind you...But at least twice...Seattle signed Flynn, and Drafted Wilson...Washington traded up to Draft RGIII, then still took Cousins in the same Draft...These are two Franchises that understand, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the QB Position has to be addressed when you're not-good-enough there...Do you think for a second that Shanahan, or Carroll would basically stand pat if all they had was Fitz? :lol:

I still point the finger at Buddy mainly...How he could just sit back and expect Fitz to lead this Team to the Playoffs is just beyond my comprehension...It's his job to know better...And instead he over-valued Fitz, and under-valued potential Draft picks like Dalton, Kaepernick, Wilson, etc...I really don't give a darn what anybody thinks...Of all the over-rated components of this Franchise, IMHO Nix is the most over-rated...He's in WAY over his head... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Part of the problem over the last 13 years in the wilderness is that there has been no continuity.

First there was Gregg, who dismantled Philips' defense and tried to institute a West Coast offense with RJ. After an epic collapse, Gilbride was brought in as OC, and that worked the first year -- until Bledsoe's decline.

Then there was Mularkey. At least he had the good sense not to monkey with the defense too much.

Then came Dick Jauron, who tried to institute a totally new defense with his Cover-2. He was so enthralled with the defense that he completely overlooked the offense -- and hired some terrible coordinators.

Fewell I won't count since he basically just finished Jauron's stretch.

I will never for the life of me understand why Nix didn't just retain Fewell at head coach and bring in Chan to coach the offense. At the time, Chan was an unemployed offensive coordinator. He certainly would have jumped at the chance to land the job. That would also have meant continuity on the defensive side of the ball, which was at least adequate under the Jauron/Fewell regime. Instead, Chan brought in an over-matched Edwards to try to convert the base defense to a 3-4. After 2 miserable years, they scrapped it -- and have now gone back to a 4-3 with Wanny.

I think the next 4 games are monumental to the direction of the team. The defense certainly has improved over the last few games. They have actually been quite good the last 2 weeks. Can they end the season on a high note? I have to think that if the defense had played this well from the get-go, the team would be in playoff contention. I think everyone who has watched this team knows what the verdict is on Fitz. He is an average-to-below-average NFL starter, who is capable of having big games -- but is simply too inconsistent to ever be better than average. I think Chan too often clings to the times when Fitz is effective, and believes that he can be a quality starter if only he can improve his consistency. With the defense improving and 2 quality RBs on the field, logic would dictate that Marty Ball is the best prescription. Alas, Chan is not Marty -- and feels compelled to force the passing game when it is entirely unnecessary. Still, if he had a better and more consistent QB at his disposal, you would have to think that would make a big difference.

Assuming they end the season strong, I can live with the current coaching staff, provided that the front office goes out and does whatever is necessary to find the long term fix at QB.

Exactly. "As safe as they ever were" could just mean "safe until I decide otherwise."

Yep. 8-8 and they are back for sure. 7-9 with Wood, et all out, probably back. 6-10 with no more injuries, ooohh thats tough... 5-11 gets them killed , and we start all over again with another 3 year plan.....heaven forbid

Part of the problem over the last 13 years in the wilderness is that there has been no continuity.

First there was Gregg, who dismantled Philips' defense and tried to institute a West Coast offense with RJ. After an epic collapse, Gilbride was brought in as OC, and that worked the first year -- until Bledsoe's decline.

Then there was Mularkey. At least he had the good sense not to monkey with the defense too much.

Then came Dick Jauron, who tried to institute a totally new defense with his Cover-2. He was so enthralled with the defense that he completely overlooked the offense -- and hired some terrible coordinators.

Fewell I won't count since he basically just finished Jauron's stretch.

I will never for the life of me understand why Nix didn't just retain Fewell at head coach and bring in Chan to coach the offense. At the time, Chan was an unemployed offensive coordinator. He certainly would have jumped at the chance to land the job. That would also have meant continuity on the defensive side of the ball, which was at least adequate under the Jauron/Fewell regime. Instead, Chan brought in an over-matched Edwards to try to convert the base defense to a 3-4. After 2 miserable years, they scrapped it -- and have now gone back to a 4-3 with Wanny.

I think the next 4 games are monumental to the direction of the team. The defense certainly has improved over the last few games. They have actually been quite good the last 2 weeks. Can they end the season on a high note? I have to think that if the defense had played this well from the get-go, the team would be in playoff contention. I think everyone who has watched this team knows what the verdict is on Fitz. He is an average-to-below-average NFL starter, who is capable of having big games -- but is simply too inconsistent to ever be better than average. I think Chan too often clings to the times when Fitz is effective, and believes that he can be a quality starter if only he can improve his consistency. With the defense improving and 2 quality RBs on the field, logic would dictate that Marty Ball is the best prescription. Alas, Chan is not Marty -- and feels compelled to force the passing game when it is entirely unnecessary. Still, if he had a better and more consistent QB at his disposal, you would have to think that would make a big difference.

Assuming they end the season strong, I can live with the current coaching staff, provided that the front office goes out and does whatever is necessary to find the long term fix at QB.

This is the year they draft the QB. Probably #1. That is my view. Frankly, I would go after Michael Vick as well once philly cuts him. He solves all the problems we have with Fitz, maybe not forever, but we don't have forever if we want this team to stay in WNY. We need sellouts week after week til the day Ralph dies. Vick's contract will go away when he is released by philly and no one will touch him because he is 33. But he is dynamic and with Chan's quick passing offense, he will not take the hits anymore and will not be freelancing off a deep drop. He has a cannon for an arm and is one of the best athletes this league has, even at 33.

This is the year they draft the QB. Probably #1. That is my view. Frankly, I would go after Michael Vick as well once philly cuts him. He solves all the problems we have with Fitz, maybe not forever, but we don't have forever if we want this team to stay in WNY. We need sellouts week after week til the day Ralph dies. Vick's contract will go away when he is released by philly and no one will touch him because he is 33. But he is dynamic and with Chan's quick passing offense, he will not take the hits anymore and will not be freelancing off a deep drop. He has a cannon for an arm and is one of the best athletes this league has, even at 33.

As others stated and I agree. Nix is in way over his head. His abysmal drafts, and worse his coaching hires, have shown it. IMO he's hit 3 times. Gilmore, CJ and maybe Dareus. A couple of other picks show hope. Brooks comes to mind. Nix is a first time GM. And, at 70 he had finally reached the pinnacle and having him oversee another draft could be disastrous. Especially if he picks the wrong QB in a year where it appears very few are available. That pick alone could send the program back 3-4 more years.Best plan IMO is keep everyone and wait for new ownership. The team with the same players could hit 8-8 next year and at least show improvement in YEAR 4. Maybe even beat a team that contends, that alone would be big.

Like many I bought in again this year and saw a clear path to 10-6 well that assumption really looks silly now. Let the clown show continue until their contracts run out in 2 years or there is a new owner. Brandon will need to do something dramatic though to stop the inevitable bleeding that is sure to happen with season ticket holders for 2013. I could see signing Vick or some marquee player to put the butts back in the seats. Even though Vick is clearly looking like he's done.

the difference is that all these QBs you mentioned, besides being HOF quality QBs, is that they have GOOD head coaches.

We have Fitz and Chan. There's clearly a difference.

actually, all of theis guys won there respective coaches their first super bowls. And none of the QBs listed were on their coaches team when the coach got the job. All theis coaches got to pick their QB. So their is a difference. Edited by JaxBills

I still point the finger at Buddy mainly...How he could just sit back and expect Fitz to lead this Team to the Playoffs is just beyond my comprehension...It's his job to know better...And instead he over-valued Fitz, and under-valued potential Draft picks like Dalton, Kaepernick, Wilson, etc...I really don't give a darn what anybody thinks...Of all the over-rated components of this Franchise, IMHO Nix is the most over-rated...He's in WAY over his head... B-)

Nix not having a backup plan and going all-in with Fitzpatrick is the worst thing he did these past 3 seasons. Upon his hiring, Nix had 2 years of starting tape on Fitzpatrick (08 and 09) and still insisted after 2010 on making him the unquestioned QB. And then they sign or trade for 3 other guys who they really don't want to play because that threatens their unwavering support in Fitz.

I'm not crazy about all the resources it took Shanahan and Carroll to find their guys, but the fact remains they valued the position more than this group has. And when they realized their mistakes, they were proactive in correcting them.

I guess this is what you get when you hire septuagenarian GM's who've been scouts and haven't managed anything in the front office. Even as Director of Pro Personnel in SD, he was working out of Tennessee. He's above his pay grade and the results show it.

actually, all of theis guys won there respective coaches their first super bowls. And none of the QBs listed were on their coaches team when the coach got the job. All theis coaches got to pick their QB. So their is a difference.

im not going to argue this anymore. Your trying to compare Mike Mularkey and any other Bills retread idiot coach to guys like Hoody, Brady, Dungy, Manning, Cofflin, Manning, Brees.

These guys are all going to be in Canton. No questions asked. Every one of them. To even make any argument about it is rediculous BWW don't have a single HOF player in this team right now. Coach either. It doesn't matter what QB they get to pick on thier teams, what we have now is not even comparable to those names you mentioned and never will be, no matter what.

The point is this, when you have a lame duck coach, you get rid of them when you realize they won't ever get you to success. Why is it when we got Gailey everyone said what a horrible move it was but now we try and defend him? Just because he doesn't have a HOF QB. It's a joke. Not many coaches and teams get that advantage.

im not going to argue this anymore. Your trying to compare Mike Mularkey and any other Bills retread idiot coach to guys like Hoody, Brady, Dungy, Manning, Cofflin, Manning, Brees.

These guys are all going to be in Canton. No questions asked. Every one of them. To even make any argument about it is rediculous BWW don't have a single HOF player in this team right now. Coach either. It doesn't matter what QB they get to pick on thier teams, what we have now is not even comparable to those names you mentioned and never will be, no matter what.

The point is this, when you have a lame duck coach, you get rid of them when you realize they won't ever get you to success. Why is it when we got Gailey everyone said what a horrible move it was but now we try and defend him? Just because he doesn't have a HOF QB. It's a joke. Not many coaches and teams get that advantage.

agreed with all you said. Especially the part about not all teams being lucky enough to have a great QB, but when was the last time a team without an elite QB even went to the big show? My point again, is QB is the issue. Not coaching. Get Chan a QB, and let's see how things work out. Having the right QB can make your coach look like a genius. As far as the coaches scheme, who cares what it is, as long as the players can run it.

If you change your mind and responding, I'm not comparing malarkey to dungy, ect, I'm saying get us a damn QB. I've seen Fitz put up some big numbers with Chan as coach. I've even seen Fitz throw four touchdowns in the second half of a game to beat the patriots. If Chan had a consistent QB, I think we would see more games like that.

Edited by JaxBills

agreed with all you said. Especially the part about not all teams being lucky enough to have a great QB, but when was the last time a team without an elite QB even went to the big show? My point again, is QB is the issue. Not coaching. Get Chan a QB, and let's see how things work out. Having the right QB can make your coach look like a genius. As far as the coaches scheme, who cares what it is, as long as the players can run it.

If you change your mind and responding, I'm not comparing malarkey to dungy, ect, I'm saying get us a damn QB. I've seen Fitz put up some big numbers with Chan as coach. I've even seen Fitz throw four touchdowns in the second half of a game to beat the patriots. If Chan had a consistent QB, I think we would see more games like that.

You sucke me into it again. So here we go.

First of all, I don't doubt that Chan would be better with a better QB. Of course that's a given. Like I said, put Manning or Brady on any team and they are instantly Super Bowl contenders. Heck, even the Ryan's, Flacco's, and Schaub's are contenders and that shouldn't be the case by yiur standards.

Fitz is fine. If you had a coach that would just limit his mistakes (very easy to do with the running game we have too) then wed be a playoff team right now. We lost the Tennessee game because Futz threw an int, yes. But Chan shouldn't have been calling that play to begin with. He's an idiot and if we're looking to replace anyone, it should be him.

As far as Super Bowls and below average QBs. I'm not looking up exact statistics, but I can tell you that Brady was far from HOF worthy in his first 2 for sure. Big Ben defenately wasn't. He's actually shown in the past few years as the Steelers have gotten consistantly worse that its more about the team than the QB. Hasselbeck, Orton, Brad Johnson, Dilfer.

Anyone can argue the Pats, Colts, Giants without a doubt because they have 1st ballot HOF QBs a d first ballot HCs. No ifs ands, or buts about it. One could argue that Ben and Tomlin will be in the list as well. They account for 10 of the last 20 champs or contenders. Yet, Brady hasn't win since he was putting up HOF numbers, and neither has Ben.

It takes more than just a good QB. Put an idiot Head Coach with Brady and even Brady won't be able to succeed with idiot play calls.

And I'm not saying I want to keep Fitz as our future. Fact is, we need someone better. I'm simply arguing what we currently have right now in this team and what I think the biggest need is and that's a competent HC.

Edited by mrags

You sucke me into it again. So here we go.

First of all, I don't doubt that Chan would be better with a better QB. Of course that's a given. Like I said, put Manning or Brady on any team and they are instantly Super Bowl contenders. Heck, even the Ryan's, Flacco's, and Schaub's are contenders and that shouldn't be the case by yiur standards.

Fitz is fine. If you had a coach that would just limit his mistakes (very easy to do with the running game we have too) then wed be a playoff team right now. We lost the Tennessee game because Futz threw an int, yes. But Chan shouldn't have been calling that play to begin with. He's an idiot and if we're looking to replace anyone, it should be him.

As far as Super Bowls and below average QBs. I'm not looking up exact statistics, but I can tell you that Brady was far from HOF worthy in his first 2 for sure. Big Ben defenately wasn't. He's actually shown in the past few years as the Steelers have gotten consistantly worse that its more about the team than the QB. Hasselbeck, Orton, Brad Johnson, Dilfer.

Anyone can argue the Pats, Colts, Giants without a doubt because they have 1st ballot HOF QBs a d first ballot HCs. No ifs ands, or buts about it. One could argue that Ben and Tomlin will be in the list as well. They account for 10 of the last 20 champs or contenders. Yet, Brady hasn't win since he was putting up HOF numbers, and neither has Ben.

It takes more than just a good QB. Put an idiot Head Coach with Brady and even Brady won't be able to succeed with idiot play calls.

And I'm not saying I want to keep Fitz as our future. Fact is, we need someone better. I'm simply arguing what we currently have right now in this team and what I think the biggest need is and that's a competent HC.

fair enough. I do see your point. Hopefully we get to see if I am right next year. If we do and I'm wrong, than we'll see if your right the next year. Haha.

Are you saying Jauron should have been retained? There'd be a lot of continuity by now.

The Bills can win games with Fitzpatrick. As a matter of fact, he's won 8 since the 3-0 start to the 2011 season.

Jauron did win more then Gailey, and that right there tells you how bad it really is. 8 wins in one season won't get you to the playoffs, much less 8 wins in two seasons. They should be so proud.

The Bills could very well end up running the table, have a 9-7 record with a possible (dare I say) wildcard playoff birth. Look at the AFC and look at the remaining schedule. If they give the ball to Spiller and their defense plays well then they should win all of the remaining games. NFL teams can get on a roll and this one is no different. I know people think this is crazy, but we do have very talented players here that can do something like this.

So of course GM Buddy Nix sees this possible scenario and he would be an idiot to jump the gun on the Gailey, Fitzpatrick and the rest of the team...LOL If he did hint at changes then that would be a reason he should be fired!.

Darn you , I just laughed so hard i crapped myself. Edited by BuffBill