Syria shuts down the internet

NoSaint

Stupid question time:

How does a country shut down the internet? Does that mean just shutting down telecommunication lines? Or is it flipping a switch on servers?

The easiest and most fun way for the Syrian government to do such a thing would be to pull in the heads of the service provider companies for a meeting, give them some phones, point some guns at them and tell them they will shut down all internet services immediately or someone's going to need to replace the carpets in that room.

The easiest and most fun way for the Syrian government to do such a thing would be to pull in the heads of the service provider companies for a meeting, give them some phones, point some guns at them and tell them they will shut down all internet services immediately or someone's going to need to replace the carpets in that room.

So you have to coordinate with multiple companies/utilities all at once? There's not like a plug they can pull, right?

So you have to coordinate with multiple companies/utilities all at once? There's not like a plug they can pull, right?

Well I suppose that they could just push the big red button in Assad's office that says "interwebs shutdown", but that's just not as entertaining.

:lol: :lol:

Fair enough. I'm just a Luddite so I get curious about how these things actually work. Either way, this is a scary sign for Syria. Yikes.

yea i imagine those living there, or with loved ones there are VERY worried.

i dont know this for fact by any way shape or means, but i imagine that especially in a more dictatorial regime that those utilities are probably pretty much gov't controlled.

id imagine that it would just take a phone call to the minister of communications saying "pull the plug"

atleast that was the image in my head while reading it. I have no IT, or syrian political background so that could be totally made up.

Edited by NoSaint

:lol: :lol:

Fair enough. I'm just a Luddite so I get curious about how these things actually work. Either way, this is a scary sign for Syria. Yikes.

inter-

a prefix occurring in loanwords from Latin, where it meant “between,” “among,” “in the midst of,” “mutually,” “reciprocally,” “together,” “during” ( intercept; interest ); on this model, used in the formation of compound words ( intercom; interdepartmental ).

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inter-

Hence Internet means between networks/networks acting together. There is no single Internet

Remember this the next time somebody says the President needs an "Internet kill switch" or the UN wants to take control of the Internet from the United States. Code words for increased governmental control and decreased privacy and personal liberty