Idiots Guide and Conversation around 2013 QB Draft Class

Virgil

Like many of you, I hope and expect the Bills to draft a QB next year who can potentially start out the gate. Everyone has an opinion on if this class is any good or not and who will go where. For me, I would love to say that I know a ton about any of these guys and I see sites that have different QB's going all over the place. If you look for 2013 mock drafts you will find people that have QB's going 1-2 and you'll see others that don't have QB's going until 10 and 20. I believe that this year will be like all of the previous ones where QB's are rated as decent 1st or 2nd round picks, but the combine and media hype get them drafted top 15. Last year was a perfect example of that.

With that being said, below you will find a list of QB's that are top 3 round candidates and what I've found about them. This is all speculation and opinion. I know literally nothing about these guys, but would love to read other people's opinions about them. When watching the clips, it's funny to me how many offenses are run like the Bills.

1 - Matt Barkley QB USC (Projected in Round 1)

Barkley is a guy who was the lock to go 1st overall until he actually started playing ball. I've seen him projected to go anywhere from 1st to 15th overall. Sanchez and Leinhart seem to have put a curse on these guys as players who peak in college. From the footage I've seen, I don't think I'd want him on the team period. His arm doesn't impress me and he seems like a system guy. He has more talent around him than most and underperforms.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hYjRSIWA5-U

2 - Geno Smith QB WV (Projected in Round 1)

Smith is a guy I never heard of until this year. Up until his first loss, the guy looked unstoppable. Then, a few games in a row, the opposing teams figured out his offense and did exactly that. While his team took a beating, his number stayed good. The guy has all of the tools. When watching his highlights, watch the zip he puts on the ball on out routes. He would be my favorite overall person, but if college defenses can completely shut him down, I'm scared to think what and NFL defense might do to him. The best thing about him to me is that he has improved every single year and may still have room to grow.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bZo__7PRl8A

3 - Tyler Wilson QB Arkansas (Projected Round 1-3)

Wilson is a guy who scares me. He's the guy said to have all the tools, but can't show it because he has a terrible offensive line and lost his top 3 receivers. I also think about how great Mallet looked in that offense and still hasn't shown enough to really be the backup in New England. He's also an SEC guy, which is Chan is still here, makes me wonder. His highlights haven't really impressed me, but I feel like I know the least about him. I'm afraid this guy is going to be all practice, but get crushed in the NFL by defenses.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=918Kg5KYW3w

4 - Aaron Murray QB Georgia (Projected Round 1-5)

Murray is a guy who has been all over the place in mocks. I've seen him go in the first and as high as 7 or in the 5th. First of all, he needs to declare I believe. After that, I feel like he has been extremely under the radar. From what I've seen, he has the arm and size. My concern is the accuracy. He hits his guys, but in the way that I feel like college QB's do in a spread formation offense. He has time and a 5 yard cushion for most of his throws. I don't know much on him and the program in Georgia doesn't scream QB to me. This is another guy that I would absolutely expect to see Chan go for if he is still our coach.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wI1eALvjtu4

5. Landry Jones QB Oklahoma (Projected Round 1-4)

Landry reminds me of Fitz more than any other QB in this draft. This is a guy that, for two years, had the opportunity to grab the college football world and the Draft by the horns and run with it, but just never got it done. He also runs an offense similar to the Bills but I just don't see the arm or deep throw accuracy from him. I feel like this is a kid that will give you up and down games and overall may have already peaked like Barkley. This is a guy that I really hope we don't get, as I just don't see the upside

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ-Y0GD87mA

6 - Ryan Nassib QB Syracuse (Projected Round 2-5)

Nassib is a personal favorite of mine. He's a guy who has only gotten better. I think of the team he came in to and how is going to leave it and love the strides. He has a great arm and I feel that if he were on a better defensive team, could be a first round guy. For me, even if we go QB in round 1, I'd absolutely take him in round 3 if he's there. My prediction for him is a great offseason and combine where he shoots himself to the early 2nd round, maybe even the top of the 1st. Calling it now!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JKJiruGcgFw

7 - EJ Manual QB Florida State (Projected Round 2-5)

This is a guy that I keep hearing the Bills scouting all year. I literally know nothing about him. His throws look good, but not a tight spiral and a lot of setup passes. Tough to tell with this guy.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2v8OOY7AHRE

8. Zac Dysert QB Miami University (Projected Round 2-5)

Never heard of the kid until I made this thread. Watched a few highlight reels and, if you gave this kid some guys who could catch...Wow. I'm actually impressed with his arm strength, pocket presence, and precision. Seriously, it's only a highlight reel, but this kid looks legit. It's always tough though to look at guys playing with such a lack of support because you don't know what's on them and what's the team and coaching.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RmMa5Nv2zoI

9. Mike Glennon QB NCST (Projected Round 4-7)

Added him via mention of someone on here. Watched a few highlights, don't really see much but again, what do I know

www.youtube.com/watch?v=URoXVwlayj8

Again, the comments are merely my uninformed opinion. I've watched some WVU and 'Cuse games this year. I absolutely going to watch the SEC title game. Maybe Murray becomes my guy after that. Would love to hear what some of you think.

Edited by Derek in Va

yeah, but even still I don't hear much about him being capable of stepping in the team doing well. Also, wasn't Hoyer cut for some other reason?

yeah, but even still I don't hear much about him being capable of stepping in the team doing well. Also, wasn't Hoyer cut for some other reason?

Nope, Hoyer was cut becuase Mallet beat him out. It was clear both in camp and during exibition games. There isn't any talk of him stepping in becuase there is no reason to, Brady is performing at MVP levels.

Thanks this is topical for the Bills and helpful for someone like me that doesnt get to watch much college. The one name not on your list that Im interested in from the write-ups is Landry Jones. The consensus is that he has an incredibly strong arm and can make all the throws, but he needs to make better decisions under pressure. He also has the ideal size at 6'4"230. I dont want a guy with physical limitations, the other stuff is coachable. But you cant coach "strong arm", "make all the throws" and "6'4" 230".

Throw he makes @ 1:05 is big time and extends plays/wins games in the NFL:

I don't like any of the QBs from this draft class TBH, best value would be Jordan Rodgers late and try to develop him.

I think a lot of people share your opinion...right now. But QB hype going into drafts is always something that amazes me. That, and how well GM's can keep quiet lately. Two years ago, QB's went in the early first round that people didn't expect to go until rounds 2 and 3. And the year before that, how far did Claussen fall?

This year could go both ways. Personally, I expect to see 5 go in the first round, and 2 more in round 2. Just call it a hunch, whether it's merited or not

I think a lot of people share your opinion...right now. But QB hype going into drafts is always something that amazes me. That, and how well GM's can keep quiet lately. Two years ago, QB's went in the early first round that people didn't expect to go until rounds 2 and 3. And the year before that, how far did Claussen fall?

This year could go both ways. Personally, I expect to see 5 go in the first round, and 2 more in round 2. Just call it a hunch, whether it's merited or not

I think you can pretty much count on it. With how vital they are in the modern era, and how inexpensive with the new rookie cap, drafting QBs high makes more sense than ever

I am high on Zac Dysert from Miami (OH), and he'll be available in round 2 or maybe 3. Projected mid-round pick now, but his stock will shoot up imo.

I'll add him. Thanks for the heads up. Again, I don't claim to know a ton about these guys and would love to do my homework and learn from people here.

With all due respect, have you seen the last 2 games he has played. If not, I will remind you: over 500 years passing, 9 TD's, 2 come from behind victories making all of the throws, all under intense pressure with NO margin of error due to OKLA having NO defense. Go back and watch the tape. You will see what I mean. Fitzpatrick could only dream of making the throws Jones makes. Yes, ee has had some consistency issues, but that is attributable to him learning to play with a whole new group of receivers (except for Kenny Stills), which is now finally getting done. Also, he is now #3 All-Time in NCAA history in passin yards and #1 All-Time in the Big 12. He is also the first QB in NCAA history to throw for over 3000 yards and 26 TD's in 4 consecutive years. Please, don't put Fitzpatrick in the same sentence with Landry Jones. Jones may not make it, but he is head and shoulders above where Fitzpatrick is/was.......

Like many of you, I hope and expect the Bills to draft a QB next year who can potentially start out the gate. Everyone has an opinion on if this class is any good or not and who will go where. For me, I would love to say that I know a ton about any of these guys and I see sites that have different QB's going all over the place. If you look for 2013 mock drafts you will find people that have QB's going 1-2 and you'll see others that don't have QB's going until 10 and 20. I believe that this year will be like all of the previous ones where QB's are rated as decent 1st or 2nd round picks, but the combine and media hype get them drafted top 15. Last year was a perfect example of that.

With that being said, below you will find a list of QB's that are top 3 round candidates and what I've found about them. This is all speculation and opinion. I know literally nothing about these guys, but would love to read other people's opinions about them. When watching the clips, it's funny to me how many offenses are run like the Bills.

1 - Matt Barkley QB USC (Projected in Round 1)

Barkley is a guy who was the lock to go 1st overall until he actually started playing ball. I've seen him projected to go anywhere from 1st to 15th overall. Sanchez and Leinhart seem to have put a curse on these guys as players who peak in college. From the footage I've seen, I don't think I'd want him on the team period. His arm doesn't impress me and he seems like a system guy. He has more talent around him than most and underperforms.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hYjRSIWA5-U

2 - Geno Smith QB WV (Projected in Round 1)

Smith is a guy I never heard of until this year. Up until his first loss, the guy looked unstoppable. Then, a few games in a row, the opposing teams figured out his offense and did exactly that. While his team took a beating, his number stayed good. The guy has all of the tools. When watching his highlights, watch the zip he puts on the ball on out routes. He would be my favorite overall person, but if college defenses can completely shut him down, I'm scared to think what and NFL defense might do to him. The best thing about him to me is that he has improved every single year and may still have room to grow.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bZo__7PRl8A

3 - Tyler Wilson QB Arkansas (Projected Round 1-3)

Wilson is a guy who scares me. He's the guy said to have all the tools, but can't show it because he has a terrible offensive line and lost his top 3 receivers. I also think about how great Mallet looked in that offense and still hasn't shown enough to really be the backup in New England. He's also an SEC guy, which is Chan is still here, makes me wonder. His highlights haven't really impressed me, but I feel like I know the least about him. I'm afraid this guy is going to be all practice, but get crushed in the NFL by defenses.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=918Kg5KYW3w

4 - Aaron Murray QB Georgia (Projected Round 1-5)

Murray is a guy who has been all over the place in mocks. I've seen him go in the first and as high as 7 or in the 5th. First of all, he needs to declare I believe. After that, I feel like he has been extremely under the radar. From what I've seen, he has the arm and size. My concern is the accuracy. He hits his guys, but in the way that I feel like college QB's do in a spread formation offense. He has time and a 5 yard cushion for most of his throws. I don't know much on him and the program in Georgia doesn't scream QB to me. This is another guy that I would absolutely expect to see Chan go for if he is still our coach.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wI1eALvjtu4

5. Landry Jones QB Oklahoma (Projected Round 1-4)

Landry reminds me of Fitz more than any other QB in this draft. This is a guy that, for two years, had the opportunity to grab the college football world and the Draft by the horns and run with it, but just never got it done. He also runs an offense similar to the Bills but I just don't see the arm or deep throw accuracy from him. I feel like this is a kid that will give you up and down games and overall may have already peaked like Barkley. This is a guy that I really hope we don't get, as I just don't see the upside

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ-Y0GD87mA

6 - Ryan Nassib QB Syracuse (Projected Round 2-5)

Nassib is a personal favorite of mine. He's a guy who has only gotten better. I think of the team he came in to and how is going to leave it and love the strides. He has a great arm and I feel that if he were on a better defensive team, could be a first round guy. For me, even if we go QB in round 1, I'd absolutely take him in round 3 if he's there. My prediction for him is a great offseason and combine where he shoots himself to the early 2nd round, maybe even the top of the 1st. Calling it now!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JKJiruGcgFw

7 - EJ Manual QB Florida State (Projected Round 2-5)

This is a guy that I keep hearing the Bills scouting all year. I literally know nothing about him. His throws look good, but not a tight spiral and a lot of setup passes. Tough to tell with this guy.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2v8OOY7AHRE

8. Zac Dysert QB Miami University (Projected Round 2-5)

Never heard of the kid until I made this thread. Watched a few highlight reels and, if you gave this kid some guys who could catch...Wow. I'm actually impressed with his arm strength, pocket presence, and precision. Seriously, it's only a highlight reel, but this kid looks legit. It's always tough though to look at guys playing with such a lack of support because you don't know what's on them and what's the team and coaching.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RmMa5Nv2zoI

Again, the comments are merely my uninformed opinion. I've watched some WVU and 'Cuse games this year. I absolutely going to watch the SEC title game. Maybe Murray becomes my guy after that. Would love to hear what some of you think.

nice list but it's incomplete. You left off NC State's Mike Glennon who will probably move into the 1st round ala Ryan Tannehill.

I want to draft as many as we can.

1- Geno smith

2- Tyler Wilson

3- Landry Jones

4- Ryan Nassib

4 (via trade back up)- EJ Manual

5 - Zac Dysert

Can't lose out that way. I would like the Bills to take a chance and get Geno Smith and Zac Dysert. Keep Fitz, cut Thiggy, cut TJax.

I want to draft as many as we can.

1- Geno smith

2- Tyler Wilson

3- Landry Jones

4- Ryan Nassib

4 (via trade back up)- EJ Manual

5 - Zac Dysert

Can't lose out that way. I would like the Bills to take a chance and get Geno Smith and Zac Dysert. Keep Fitz, cut Thiggy, cut TJax.

:thumbsup: This is a good draft.

Thanks this is topical for the Bills and helpful for someone like me that doesnt get to watch much college. The one name not on your list that Im interested in from the write-ups is Landry Jones. The consensus is that he has an incredibly strong arm and can make all the throws, but he needs to make better decisions under pressure. He also has the ideal size at 6'4"230. I dont want a guy with physical limitations, the other stuff is coachable. But you cant coach "strong arm", "make all the throws" and "6'4" 230".

Throw he makes @ 1:05 is big time and extends plays/wins games in the NFL:

Lookin like a major improvement over fitz.....lot of nice throws on this video from Landry Jones.

I took a few minutes to pull the college career stats for the top QB prospects. Just the facts. I threw in Joe Flacco's career at Delaware just as a comparison. Let me know if you want to see any more listed.

Player GP Comp Att Comp% Yds TD INT TD% INT% Y/G Sacks

G. Smith 42 946 1413 66.9% 11,054 93 20 6.6% 1.4% 263.2 75

Barkley 47 1001 1562 64.1% 12,327 116 48 7.4% 3.1% 262.3 55

Tyler Wilson 37 593 948 62.6% 7,765 52 26 5.5% 2.7% 209.9 46

A. Murray 39 660 1065 62.0% 9,399 89 29 8.4% 2.7% 241.0 77

Glennon 35 611 1016 60.1% 7,028 62 28 6.1% 2.8% 200.8 66

Flacco 29 596 942 63.3% 7057 41 15 4.4% 1.6% 243.3 N/A

Lookin like a major improvement over fitz.....lot of nice throws on this video from Landry Jones.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see it. His throws don't have a lot of zip on them. In fact, they have that Trent Edwards velocity. Yes, he does make a deep throw, but it looks pushed not thrown. I feel like NFL DB's will be able to make jumps on his throws. And if he hasn't established himself as THE guy yet, then I also believe he has peaked. Look at how bad Geno and Matt have played recently and you still don't hear people talking about Landry overtaking them.

Again, just my opinion

I took a few minutes to pull the college career stats for the top QB prospects. Just the facts. I threw in Joe Flacco's career at Delaware just as a comparison. Let me know if you want to see any more listed.

Player GP Comp Att Comp% Yds TD INT TD% INT% Y/G Sacks

G. Smith 42 946 1413 66.9% 11,054 93 20 6.6% 1.4% 263.2 75

Barkley 47 1001 1562 64.1% 12,327 116 48 7.4% 3.1% 262.3 55

Tyler Wilson 37 593 948 62.6% 7,765 52 26 5.5% 2.7% 209.9 46

A. Murray 39 660 1065 62.0% 9,399 89 29 8.4% 2.7% 241.0 77

Glennon 35 611 1016 60.1% 7,028 62 28 6.1% 2.8% 200.8 66

Flacco 29 596 942 63.3% 7057 41 15 4.4% 1.6% 243.3 N/A

Delaware is an FCS program, Flacco sucks and couldn't beat out Tyler Palko for the starting job at Pitt.

Just read a report by McShay saying that he hears from NFL scouts that Barkley is going to fall to the second round and Klein might be a late first round pick.

I'm sorry, but I think he is smoking crack. I'm not looking for either of these guys in a Bills uniform next year, but Barkley will go and go early. This is too much of a QB lead.

Again, I could see as many as 5 first round QB's taken this year, but my money is on 4.

Glennon fans will be disappointed that we have him at #136 on our Big Board, which would be right around our RD5 pick. Combine could help Graham some, but not first-rounder good. He's not elusive like Nix wants, often telegraphs his throws, but with coaching could get better. I liked his chemistry with TJ Graham last year, and I like his quick setup and quick release. Watch him here in 2011 (his top WR is TJ Graham, #6):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEn_9QvOCfI&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Astrobot

Just read a report by McShay saying that he hears from NFL scouts that Barkley is going to fall to the second round and Klein might be a late first round pick.

I'm sorry, but I think he is smoking crack. I'm not looking for either of these guys in a Bills uniform next year, but Barkley will go and go early. This is too much of a QB lead.

Again, I could see as many as 5 first round QB's taken this year, but my money is on 4.

Barkley might slide a bit but I think he's polished enough that someone takes him early. Klein I can't imagine in round 1. At all. May as well sign tebow if that's the plan for someone.

Glennon fans will be disappointed that we have him at #136 on our Big Board, which would be right around our RD5 pick. Combine could help Graham some, but not first-rounder good. He's not elusive like Nix wants, often telegraphs his throws, but with coaching could get better. I liked his chemistry with TJ Graham last year, and I like his quick setup and quick release. Watch him here in 2011 (his top WR is TJ Graham, #6):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEn_9QvOCfI&feature=youtu.be

No offense astro, but guys shoot all over your boards.

Glennon may not go all the way up but if he has a good offseason he'd be on the short list of guys that may emerge at the top of that second grouping. Again, assuming a good offseason and depending on who declares - He's not going top ten but could easily end up high 2 (which, ask ponder, could mean mid 1 if someone falls in love).

Nassib is actually the guy I believe may have the highest ceiling comming out this year. He's got a lightning quick release, a powerful arm, good field vision, and can make and extend plays with his feet. Things he needs to work on, and must improve for him to be sucessful: he double clutches on his downfield throws, he has "happy feet" in the pocket, he has a funky delivery, he looks totally uncomfortable and out of place making touch passes.

I'd love to see us spend a third on him, with the plan of handing him the reigns in 2 years.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.