Why I like the Buddy System

BisonMan

Then by that standard, the number of starters in the AFC Pro Bowl for 2011? How many are projected for 2012 (especially with a heavy defensive focus of Buddy's drafts?)

Right now 2- Kyle Williams and Byrd. 3 if you count Mckelvin who's nominated for ST. All three are in the top 3 in afc voting. However none of those 3 were drafted by Nix. Though one could make the argument that the scheme or supporting cast helped propel them to PB status. The other side of that argument is that both Kyle and Byrd were probowlers in previous years before Nix got here. Sooo.... I don't know what my point is.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how it's possible to put a positive spin on Buddy's GM stint...Teams don't receive Playoff births based on how much better they look on paper...And any GM deciding early on in their stay that a journeyman QB with a career QB Rating (at the time) under 80 is going take you to the promise land...Well...That GM is going to face some major, and warranted, criticism...

The Bills are no further along overall than they were 3 years ago...They have improved in areas, but some HUGE holes remain...Nix has botched some premium Draft picks...Two high 2nd round Picks (Torell Troup and Aaron Williams) have given the Bills almost nothing...Dareus, while not exactly a bust, was Drafted before 5 of the best young players in the league today (AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, JJ Watt, Julio Jones, and Aldon Smith)...The Bills still do not have a Franchise QB, or even a promising young QB Prospect, despite the fact that they could have stole Andy Dalton with a 2nd Round Pick...I'm not sure how anyone could be happy with Nix job so far...I'm certainly not...Though I do admit the 2012 Draft is looking OK so far... B-)

Then by that standard, the number of starters in the AFC Pro Bowl for 2011? How many are projected for 2012 (especially with a heavy defensive focus of Buddy's drafts?)

the point being made...is that buddy started with very little.

on the flip side...one could argue...we still have very little.

currently, i would expect kyle williams, jairus byrd and mckelvin will be alternates.

I'm not sure how it's possible to put a positive spin on Buddy's GM stint...Teams don't receive Playoff births based on how much better they look on paper...And any GM deciding early on in their stay that a journeyman QB with a career QB Rating (at the time) under 80 is going take you to the promise land...Well...That GM is going to face some major, and warranted, criticism...

The Bills are no further along overall than they were 3 years ago...They have improved in areas, but some HUGE holes remain...Nix has botched some premium Draft picks...Two high 2nd round Picks (Torell Troup and Aaron Williams) have given the Bills almost nothing...Dareus, while not exactly a bust, was Drafted before 5 of the best young players in the league today (AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, JJ Watt, Julio Jones, and Aldon Smith)...The Bills still do not have a Franchise QB, or even a promising young QB Prospect, despite the fact that they could have stole Andy Dalton with a 2nd Round Pick...I'm not sure how anyone could be happy with Nix job so far...I'm certainly not...Though I do admit the 2012 Draft is looking OK so far... B-)

all good points...

This discussion will take a much different turn after this Sunday's game. If the Bills lose on Sunday it will pretty much end their playoff hopes and cement another unsucccessful season under the Nix/Gailey regime (and demonstrate yet again that they can't beat a team with a winning record). That, in addition to KOK's excellent points above, will make it hard to dispute that Nix is a total failure as GM and needs to be replaced.

On the other hand, if they win...

Delousional..It takes time to mold and build a team. Most of these players were just in their first year of starting.This team can and will start scoring at will, they are in

the process of learining to finish drives.You watch we can score on anybody once the recievers and the backs are in sync.You watch

yeah I will tell ya or defense was a fkn joke when buddy and chan took over.You can cry all ya want about this year but they will

come together.You say thursday what a punishing defense can do. took miami out of the game, and came thru in the end.that is how

you build character.This 4-3 d will work with the players we have, just need stud lb's lke SF(like cornelieus bennet and daryl tally, shane conlon)

Like I said check back in a year....

Sure, why not...I have done it twelve times already.

I would like to see them actually beat a team with a winning record for a change, before pardoning Nix for anything. I don't expect them to win the Superbowl, or even to make the playoffs given the current state of the roster. But how about beating a team with a winning record? Is that too much to ask? How about this Sunday, wouldn't that be a good start? This is the type of game that should be a watermark for Nix. If he has really improved the team, it ought to be able to go in there and win. I have my doubts, but would love to be proven wrong.

I think you mean teams with winning records you THINK should have them. Arizona had a winning record when Bills beat them - one loss. If they beat the Colts you will talk about how they did not deserve the win, Colts had weak schedule and had not beat anyone, etc.

I stumbled upon a guys draft website and checked out his history. He does a 'dream draft' thing where he gets a mid round pick in each round and drafts as if he were a team. I just started a thread on it.

He makes the Bills look like b*tches.

Here is the thread http://forums.twobil...-draft-success/

Edited by peterpan

I stumbled upon a guys draft website and checked out his history. He does a 'dream draft' thing where he gets a mid round pick in each round and drafts as if he were a team. I just started a thread on it.

He makes the Bills look like b*tches.

Here is the thread http://forums.twobil...-draft-success/

Not that it absolves the Bills, but there's people on this board who could draft better than that.

ok Last time...I hope yall have a happy thanksgiving the doom and gloomers..haha

nix here in 2009..top 4 -5 rounds

maybin- junk

wood stud

byrd stud

levitre stud

2010 nix gm with chan

spiller stud(finally) figures it out

troup- junk injured

carrington-ok fills need

easley-junk injured

moats-ok need plus spec teamer

dareus-stud close...still take him 3rd fills void in middle with kyle..getting over family tragedy next year huge

a. willimas- questionable will be nickel db or fill in footwork doesn't matchup to talent for pros needs to take next step

sheppard- good against run. needs to step up 3rd year critical for him to show what he can do

searcy-solid will be starter next year or sooner...can be great blitzer for our d

hairston-solid help on oline

rogers- nickel back. not too impressed..

gilmore stud taking on #1's already...stays healthy can be shutdown

glenn- stud toughest spot on oline and he is shining for a rookie

t.j.- needs to get in sync with qb on reads plenty of upside just hope he gets it.

nigel- too early shows signs of succeeding but who knows.

brooks- too early injured...

look at 2008-09 and now...I dont care if you dont lke the southern boys but Im telling ya. they are building this

right..

check back next year..haha

Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Since Nix took over in 2010, there have been no first round busts. He totally re-did the scouting department. We finally have Oline and DLine depth. He got a big-name free agent in here when many said no one wanted to come here. And regardless of the record, nothing made me want to put a nickel-plated barrel in my mouth more than a Jauron-coached team. So, I'll take Gailey and Buddy any day. This team can now score points. And (hopefully) the defense finally seems to be improving.

Yes, we need a franchise QB. And a LB. And arguably a real #2 receiver, or a #1 to make Stevie a top #2. But I think we are in a much better position than a few years ago.

I still don't understand why Buddy gets a pass for the 2009 draft? He was hired as the National Scout in January 2009, which put him in a very visible position ahead of the 2009 draft, and let's not forget that he was fully enmeshed in San Diego's drafts through 2008, so if he missed anything it would have been the 2009 regular season, but still plenty of time to catch up on the prospects between January and April. Yet it was funny how both Nix & Modrak quickly distanced themselves from the Maybin pick, even though the next three picks were very solid.

Yet, as someone who wants us to see the baby, fact is that from 2009-2012, only Bills and Jags have had a first round pick in the top 11 in each year.

Buddy Nix has been getting a lot of heat here at TBD lately and I’d like to rise to his defense a bit. The first criticism we tend to hear about Buddy is that he has neglected to draft a franchise QB during his tenure. I’ve addressed the fact that there have been limited options for this in a previous post:

http://forums.twobil...e-last-7-years/

Even if you think there was a marginal QB worth taking high in the draft (i.e. first two or three rounds), I think Buddy has been smart to avoid that. My cursory view of early career QBs tends to show (but not in every case) that rookie and 2nd year QBs don’t tend to fair very well without a strong supporting infrastructure. There are always exceptions but they really are rare (see: Andrew Luck). Some seemed to bring a unique problem to defenses (see: Cam Newton) but got exposed in their second year.

More often, successful young QBs have a good infrastructure around them. This includes players like Ben Rothlesberger, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Tom Brady, and Mark Sanchez (yes, he really was successful early). Some “promising” QBs failed early and never recovered because their supporting cast was horrible (Trent Edwards or Alex Smith might fall into this category). It appears Buddy is building the machinery around the QB position before risking a franchise QB pick. Looking at each facet of the team, I think we could agree that Nix has mostly improved the team:

Quality by position since Buddy Nix became GM

RB: the same or better (I’d rather have Spiller than Lynch)

TE: better

OL: better. Buddy looks to have solidified 2 positions on the O-Line (LT and RG).

WR: the same or better (I think David Nelson makes it better than pre-Buddy)

DL: better (Darius and Mario Williams are definitely better than what we had)

LB: the same (Barnett is an improvement but Sheppard is a downgrade from Puz)

CB: the same or better (a bit of a wash between injury-prone McGee and rookie Gilmore)

S: the same

By my reckoning, they may have improved in 6 of the 8 categories. That’s also testament to how bad this team was when he took over as GM.

I now think the Bills are poised to take a QB in an early round and have the supporting cast to make him successful. I do think LB and CB could use improvement first but QB now should not be far behind.

My 2 cents.

Except our record is worse tah under Jaron's teams.....

The only thing I'd add here is Nix has had a boatload of money that neither Levy nor Brandon spent on free agents and re-signing their own. Despite this and all of your points, they are winning 1/3 of their games since he took over.

It's the whiffs Nix has had that really demonstrate his ineffectiveness. Changing defenses twice, picking the wrong starting QB twice, and using valuable resources to make up for those errors. If this rebuild hasn't failed, it's definitely the slowest one I've seen.

I still don't understand why Buddy gets a pass for the 2009 draft? He was hired as the National Scout in January 2009, which put him in a very visible position ahead of the 2009 draft, and let's not forget that he was fully enmeshed in San Diego's drafts through 2008, so if he missed anything it would have been the 2009 regular season, but still plenty of time to catch up on the prospects between January and April. Yet it was funny how both Nix & Modrak quickly distanced themselves from the Maybin pick, even though the next three picks were very solid.

Yet, as someone who wants us to see the baby, fact is that from 2009-2012, only Bills and Jags have had a first round pick in the top 11 in each year.

I'm not going to say Nix did or didn't have anything to do with the Maybin pick because I don't know his involvement with that pick in particular. However Maybin does not fit the profile of Nix's other first rounders. All 3 of Nix's picks have met a certain profile: More than 2 years as a starter, SEC and good character. I'm not saying he didn't have his hand in it but it sure doesn't fit what Nix has done so far.