What happened to acting like a professional on and off the field?

BuffaloPride

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about taking care of the kid's needs first? You know, like a parent?

Er, well, there are immediate needs and long term needs....in a perfect world both get met for every child immediately, in this imperfect world sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Sometimes grocery shopping is what ya gotta do.

Sitting at a fancy restaurant and letting your kid disturb others is never what ya gotta do

your kidding right ?.....levy certainly had absolutely zero control off the field, those guys stayed out late on weekend nights and drank themselves silly, which i personaly viewed on way too many occasions. no way they were sober by game time. i actually think todays athletes are much more behaved and resposible for their actions and what they put in their bodies. back in the "glory days" those guys got away with murder, the police, press and fans kept quiet...today, there's photos, videos, tweets and fan forums posted instantly online.

i have no problem with restaurants showing preferential treatment to whoever they want. heck, i'm a nobody and have gotten tables without a reservation at places i frequent regularly.

as far as the child disturbing the peace issue goes...it sucks, but happens all the time....obviously in a high end place like tempo, there is reasonable expectation to avoid it.....one of those adults should have taken the child outside for a bit and returned when calm. every situation is different, but if it truly was awful, i would have called for the manager. i don't care who it is, i'm not accepting that. if needed (manager refuses to do anything) i would have politely as possible chirped to the offending parents. who knows, maybe the manager winds up asking me to leave.

This wasn't a bar or night club. It was a classy restaurant that happens to be very expensive. I'm sure this player can afford to go there on a nightly basis but for the average joe like myself it is only for special occasions. Just thought he could have been a little considerate.

But polite enough to tell the whole story. C'mon man. You obviously told the story to shame him a bit.

Not really. Just venting. Like I said I respect the mans talent and I'm glad he plays for the Bills but I planned this dinner for weeks and it was ultimately ruined.

Er, well, there are immediate needs and long term needs....in a perfect world both get met for every child immediately, in this imperfect world sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Sometimes grocery shopping is what ya gotta do.

Sitting at a fancy restaurant and letting your kid disturb others is never what ya gotta do

Exactly, Hope. Common sense and being considerate aren't found in overabundance.

I have a lot of sympathy for parents in grocery stores. You get home from work, you're typically on a mission - gotta buy some stuff and get home and feed the fam. It's very hard to deal with a child having a temper tantrum in that time frame, work fast and get out may be the only option.

Otherwise, there used to be an unwritten law that screaming or crying kids got removed from the situation - either temporarily until they calmed down or their parents just left, so as to not disturb other people. It would be nice if that law would go back on the books. On the other hand, whenever we went to restaurants when my daughter was small, we took along a "bag of tricks" that she could play with - coloring books, quiet toys, and helped her find something to amuse herself. If they just expect the kid to sit there ignored by both adults and with nothing to do, that hasn't occurred since the '90s - the 1890s.

Yeah, I was just at a concert performance last night that my older kid was in. It was a big honor for him and his school to be represented there, but sure enough a lady sits right behind me, my wife, and the inlaws and her kid about 4-5 yrs old starts acting up. I had my 3 yr old with me so I know the drill and if my daughter started melting down I take the bullet for the family and remove her so others can enjoy the concert. If I were a single parent, I would do the same thing. The thought of keeping her there and making everyone else miserable would not even cross my mind.

At first this lady just asks her child to be reasonable and stop making obnoxious noises, and when a child fails to see reason and understand the intricacies of courtesy she just ignores him and starts playing on her phone. I finally had enough and just turned around and said, "I came here with my family to hear my kid perform up there, not hear your kid. Is it too much to ask - really?"

You would have thought I farted in church the way she looked at me, but seriously. I think there is a generation of parents that think it is wrong to teach and enforce manners and respectful behavior in children, either that or they are just too damn lazy to intervene when they should. It takes a heck of a lot more effort to intervene and correct bad behavior. And trying to reason with a child when they have not developed the full capacity for reason or empathy is just dumb. Now I am not talking beating the heck out of your child, but more than once I gave my kids the "strike 1, that's 2, all right we are out of here" and carried a screaming protesting child out of theatre, park, or where ever. They eventually learned the drill and the business stopped as soon as I started the strike count.

My other theory is perhaps manners, courtesy, and respect for others has simply been outpaced by selfishness and entitlement.

your kidding right ?.....levy certainly had absolutely zero control off the field, those guys stayed out late on weekend nights and drank themselves silly, which i personaly viewed on way too many occasions. no way they were sober by game time. i actually think todays athletes are much more behaved and resposible for their actions and what they put in their bodies. back in the "glory days" those guys got away with murder, the police, press and fans kept quiet...today, there's photos, videos, tweets and fan forums posted instantly online.

i have no problem with restaurants showing preferential treatment to whoever they want. heck, i'm a nobody and have gotten tables without a reservation at places i frequent regularly.

as far as the child disturbing the peace issue goes...it sucks, but happens all the time....obviously in a high end place like tempo, there is reasonable expectation to avoid it.....one of those adults should have taken the child outside for a bit and returned when calm. every situation is different, but if it truly was awful, i would have called for the manager. i don't care who it is, i'm not accepting that. if needed (manager refuses to do anything) i would have politely as possible chirped to the offending parents. who knows, maybe the manager winds up asking me to leave.

Your comment on players being sober by game time is oh so true. Forget which book but Kent Hull revealed a few gems. One of them was something like this. Kelly calls Hull at 4AM on a gameday, says he to effed up and needs a ride to the stadium before Marv and the staff get there. Hull calls the trainer and says prepare an ice bath, picks up Kelly drives him too OBD and in the bath he goes. Most likely a situation that happened more than one time. Hull bailed Kelly's ass out a lot. RIP Kent.

Funny cause one of the reasons the Bills lost in the Super Bowls was because of going out and partying. Biscuit later admitted that. Lord only knows what those guys back in the day got away with but I can tell you te behavior isn't new. It's always been there. We just have more avenues to expose it to people.

You are aware how those guys did act off the field, right? Only difference is no social media and message boards to gripe on. Who was the player? You gotta tell now after your little story.

Nicely put , but you could have made your post a lot shorter if you would have just said ..

That the parents of the world are cranking out jack asses more now than ever !!

Parents think that making there kids mind or telling them NO will stifle there their growth as a person so they give them positive reinforcement weather they do wrong or right "Oh thats OK baby mommy or daddy knows you didn't mean to stab the cat with that knife just don't do it again OK love you baby" ..

Sounds like your kid may act the same in public with no respect to others as the OP painted it pretty plainly to all that understand what he was saying ...

Hey T,

Do you even know if it was MDs kid to be disciplining? Do we know what the behavior was exactly? Do we know if they tried anything at all? Do we even know it was MD that we are discussing? What did the op do to salvage the night? Or was he a little excited to come bash on here afterwards, in truth.

The way the op posted it was precisely so we could imagine our worst experience instead of just telling us what happened. To then say he was too classy to name names was absurd.

So yea, I don't love the thread.

Edited by NoSaint

So if it was MD, it probably wasn't his kid, which means it wasn't his place to discipline her. As for his attire, if Tempo let him in, that's their fault. No doubt they figured his money was just as good as someone dressed nicely, which seems to be the prevailing sentiment these days, as no one can really afford to turn away business.

i agree with NoSaint. Especially since i dont think Dareus has kids. The OP should say the name or completely shut the hell up.

Could be carrington or Johnson, but the fact that the OP is saying its one of the 3 and one he likes certainly implies MD - regardless it's not fair to any of the 3 and causes everyone to make a ton of assumptions both on what happened and who did it. Not fair, no good.

So no one wants to blame Tempo for allowing an underdressed individual with no reservation into their restaurant?

Nawww. VIPs get this stuff all the time. Go to Tempo on a gamenight for the Sabres and they'll take walk-ins with Sabres jerseys on.

Any word from Las Vegas on the odds of which player may have been the offender??? My money is that it was Stevie J. His youngest of three has to be about 7 months old.

Stevie is back in California right now. mentioned it on twitter friday morning he was at the BNIA heading "home"