A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

This is the #1 problem - Chan thinks too much and calls the bizarre instead of what will work with the talent we have, i.e., a goal line slant/in to a 6'7" TE.....duh

The problem wasn't the play call, it was Chandler's execution. You have a 6'7" TE who can't wall off a CB? Really?

I'm glad that our high priced defense finally showed up. We've missed the type of play we saw from the front four all season. They did what they haven't been able to do in the prior 9 games and that is stop the run. This led to Miami being forced to pass, which is why they were able to get after Tannehill all day. I'm glad to see the team win, but this was far from a complete game. The offense couldn't finish drives. Yesterday's game was one of those situations that are a reminder to me as a fan that the team isn't there yet. Miami is 24th in the NFL in total offense. I expected the Bills to be able to get after them a little bit on the defensive side of the ball. Their defense though is ranked 28th. The Bills have to be able to score touchdowns against bad teams to win. Indianapolis and Seattle I think are the only hard games remaining on their schedule. If by some freakish chance they can win a few in a row and carry momentum, they have an outside shot at a wildcard. More likely though is we'll see the same lackluster finish that we've seen for the last 10 years. This team should be 6-4 and not 4-6. Maybe we'll see at least one complete game before the end of the season. One can hope!

That empty backfield on the 3rd and 1 was ridiculously stupid and reckless.

I don't think there is a football coach anywhere else in the United States that would do that.

And what about lining Choice up in the wildcat on the first 3rd and 1 deep in Miami territory? That was a horrendous choice of plays and personnel. Gailey is this teams biggest liability. I think he is the worst coach we have had in the dark era (2001-present) and that is saying something. I seriously can not believe that Buddy thinks we can win anything with Chan at the helm. We NEVER outcoach our opponent. Sure we will win some games because we have some good players. But our coaching never gives us the best chance of winning a game. If Tannehill had more experience, we would have lost this game easily..

Spiller is terrible on short yardage calls which is why we are having issues with FJ out in red zone and in short yardage situations. We are one of the few teams with a designated blocking FB (unlike Larry Centers who was a receiving FB) so why isn't he used more and more effectively is my concern.

Oh and usually great game day post by Bill from NYC.

The problem wasn't the play call, it was Chandler's execution. You have a 6'7" TE who can't wall off a CB? Really?

Chandler isn't a blocking TE. He merely looks like one, much like Sam Adams wasn't a nose, but he looked like one. Chandler's assets are his ability to get open, and his hands. His size works for him in the end zone.

Chandler isn't a blocking TE. He merely looks like one, much like Sam Adams wasn't a nose, but he looked like one. Chandler's assets are his ability to get open, and his hands. His size works for him in the end zone.

Chandler is one of the worst blockers on the team.

An upgrade at TE would be very welcome.

Chandler is one of the worst blockers on the team.

An upgrade at TE would be very welcome.

There are pass catching TE's and blocking TEs. Chandler is the former and does an excellent job for us. I thought Lee smith was supposed to be the latter

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

There are pass catching TE's and blocking TEs. Chandler is the former and does an excellent job for us. I thought Lee smith was supposed to be the latter

Crazy thing about TE's.

Some can catch and block.

And Chandler's receiving abilities aren't good enough to excuse him from blocking.

What's this have to do with what Darin said? He's talking about him walling off the CB using his body to shield him so Chandler can catch the ball. Instead he let a smallish DB get in front of him to break up the pass. It was an pretty weak effort.

Has anyone mentioned Fitz's blocking? On at least three plays he blocked for his RBs. Once on the edge, once in the backfield, and once into the line. Do any other QBs do that? I've never seen it.

I know all the Fitz haters will say it doesn't matter, he's still terrible. I know he isn't most people's first choice for a QB, but I can't be overly negative about a guy with his desire to win, and his willingness to do whatever he can to keep the drive alive.

Few points I might add:

- Lindell is a liability on kick offs. Can't Powell also do kick offs? A strong leg is a strong leg ... is the technique for kicking off a tee vs a punt all that different? I can't imagine he'd be any worse than Lindell, and it's an alternative at least worth exploring.

I've also asked in the past whether Powell can kick off. In the history of this league, there have been punters who have kicked off because as you say, a strong leg is a strong leg. I wish someone would ask Gailey this question.

If fitz is such a tough SOB and reasonably mobile, and we have a kick ass center, why don't we ever call QB sneaks on 3rd and 1? We have to solve our inability to convert in those situations.

Another good point. The Bills NEVER use the QB sneak in spite of having difficulties in that down and distance range.

My guess is that Chan is out-coaching himself. It looks like he's trying to make the defense think too much, when in fact, he's hurting the offense by putting in Choice and/or emptying the backfield on 3rd & 1. Maybe he does know that Spiller isn't exactly Earl Campbell out there, but at least put him in the field as an option. If you don't have your best player on the field at that point, then what's the point?

I agree completely.

I actually think Chan is a pretty good offensive strategist for the most part but I think his weakness is that he gets too cute sometimes and abandons common sense (ie- taking Spiller out in the redzone).

We should use the QB sneak more often.

We should occasionally give the FB a touch or two.

We should scrap the Wildcat.

We should make a point of emphasis on short yardage and have a padded practice to get that part of the offense straightened out.

This offense could be better with a few small tweaks. Less trickery and a bit more emphasis on basic football like staying away from empty sets in all but obvious passing situations and using play action more often.

The Bills use play action much less than most teams (there was a statistical analysis done by one of the media outlets not long ago) in spite of having very good running backs and a good offensive line AND weaknesses at wide receiver.

Some of this offense's tendencies defy simple logic.

The Bills use play action much less than most teams (there was a statistical analysis done by one of the media outlets not long ago) in spite of having very good running backs and a good offensive line AND weaknesses at wide receiver.

Some of this offense's tendencies defy simple logic.

Hard to run play action out of that empty backfield.

Are they gonna pass or run?

Throw deep or 10-15 yards?

Chan sets us up for failure many times. Miami should have had a pick last night when they undercut the short, predictable route.

What's this have to do with what Darin said? He's talking about him walling off the CB using his body to shield him so Chandler can catch the ball. Instead he let a smallish DB get in front of him to break up the pass. It was an pretty weak effort.

Thank you. I thought I was clear but there was obviously some confusion.

I'm glad that our high priced defense finally showed up. We've missed the type of play we saw from the front four all season. They did what they haven't been able to do in the prior 9 games and that is stop the run. This led to Miami being forced to pass, which is why they were able to get after Tannehill all day. I'm glad to see the team win, but this was far from a complete game. The offense couldn't finish drives. Yesterday's game was one of those situations that are a reminder to me as a fan that the team isn't there yet. Miami is 24th in the NFL in total offense. I expected the Bills to be able to get after them a little bit on the defensive side of the ball. Their defense though is ranked 28th. The Bills have to be able to score touchdowns against bad teams to win. Indianapolis and Seattle I think are the only hard games remaining on their schedule. If by some freakish chance they can win a few in a row and carry momentum, they have an outside shot at a wildcard. More likely though is we'll see the same lackluster finish that we've seen for the last 10 years. This team should be 6-4 and not 4-6. Maybe we'll see at least one complete game before the end of the season. One can hope!

> this was far from a complete game

Agreed. It's like the guys on this team take turns. During the first half of the season, it was the offense's turn to be productive, and the defense's turn to stink. Against the Dolphins, the defense actually showed up to play, but the offense was mediocre. I feel fairly confident that either the offense or the defense will show up next week. I don't know which of those two units it will be--just that it will be one or the other.

On another matter, I'd like to thank Bill for once again providing a very solid OP. I'd like to hear his thoughts about how the offensive line did against the Dolphins.

Regarding Fitz. I understand he is not the best. I know he can be VERY inaccurate. But I love seeing a quarterback block downfield! I absolutely love it! I'm not even to halftime yet, and he has done it on a few plays, and held his own too.

> this was far from a complete game

Agreed. It's like the guys on this team take turns. During the first half of the season, it was the offense's turn to be productive, and the defense's turn to stink. Against the Dolphins, the defense actually showed up to play, but the offense was mediocre. I feel fairly confident that either the offense or the defense will show up next week. I don't know which of those two units it will be--just that it will be one or the other.

On another matter, I'd like to thank Bill for once again providing a very solid OP. I'd like to hear his thoughts about how the offensive line did against the Dolphins.

It wasn't one of their better performancess, but times have changed. Not too long ago, this would have been considered a superior outing. From what I could see, Hairston had rough time. He had his hands full with Wake. Wood and Levitre played well, and it's a pleasure to watch Glenn develop. It really is. Again (and I'm not sue why), it's hard for me to see the RGs on television when they aren't pulling. and trust me, I try.

As I pointed out, Wood might have saved the game by pouncing on Jones' fumble. This indicates all out effort. Remember, all too recently our OL lacked talent AND effort. And, they were playing without Pears, who is a very good run blocker. This partially would explain Spiller getting much of his yardage on his own.

The offensive line on the Buffalo Bills is something that no longer is a concern to me, providing we keep Levitre, and of course stay healthy. I never thought I would be able to type those words.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I don't know if I like the spread in short yardage situations, but I understand why they use it when they keep at least keep CJ or Freddie in the backfield. It simply creates more seams and space to run.

The problem lately is that most teams simply man-up on our receivers and still load the box. That means that Fitz has got to be on the money with those short throws in those situations and he is inaccurate enought that teams do not fear his short passing game.

You have heard Chan say time and again that he spread it out trying to get the other teams to take guys out of the box, but it is not working - we all know why.

If teams are not going to move out of the box, Chan needs to simply find a balance and keep a fullback and Spiller in the backfield and use a two receiver set. You have Corey and CJ able to pick up pass rushers to give Fitz more time to take advantage of the man coverage, or you can use the extra blocking FB to try to create a seam or allow Spiller to gain the edge outside.

Until we have a more accurate QB (I do not question Fitz's heart), that is the defense we will see and we will not see safeties dropping out of the run box to protect against the pass.

It wasn't one of their better performancess, but times have changed. Not too long ago, this would have been considered a superior outing. From what I could see, Hairston had rough time. He had his hands full with Wake. Wood and Levitre played well, and it's a pleasure to watch Glenn develop. It really is. Again (and I'm not sue why), it's hard for me to see the RGs on television when they aren't pulling. and trust me, I try.

As I pointed out, Wood might have saved the game by pouncing on Jones' fumble. This indicates all out effort. Remember, all too recently our OL lacked talent AND effort. And, they were playing without Pears, who is a very good run blocker. This partially would explain Spiller getting much of his yardage on his own.

The offensive line on the Buffalo Bills is something that no longer is a concern to me, providing we keep Levitre, and of course stay healthy. I never thought I would be able to type those words.

I'm glad that our standards for the OL have improved to the point where a day which once would have been considered superior is now a mild disappointment. :)

Had Pears been healthy, do you think he would have done a better job against Wake than the one Hairston did?

I'm glad that our standards for the OL have improved to the point where a day which once would have been considered superior is now a mild disappointment. :)

Had Pears been healthy, do you think he would have done a better job against Wake than the one Hairston did?

I always considered Pears better against the run than Hairston, giving Hairston an edge wrt pass protection. Hairston is far more agile, and this is why is does fairly well on the left side. That said, Wake is a good player. He has 37 sacks since 2009, with 9.5 coming this season alone. Obviously, he is hard to stop.

In all, Hairston would seem more suited to play against Wake. What one would have hoped for from Pears is that he perhaps could have punished him physically on some running downs and taken some wind out of his sails. But remember, I am more fond of Pears than most posters seem to be.

http://nyjetscap.com...Pears, Erik.php

This is what I found wrt his contract. IF he can get healthy, I have zero problems with the deal.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Ditto!! I couldn't believe he came away with that ball and managed to land in-bounds! A pick, a fumble recovery and on Mckelvin' PR-TD, he gets knocked down, gets up and gets THE key block to spring McKelvin by pushing his man OOB. He has an incredible noe-sign Levitre se for the ball.

He is the heir apparent to Ed Reed & Troy P (Pitt) as the games best safety. He MUST be a re-signing priority for Buddy. Knowing Buddy's mantra about keeping the good guys you have, I am sure they will do whatever it takes to keep him in Bflo.

They will re-sign Levitre and then franchise Byrd. Franchise value for Safety is only 5M while a OL is ~10M.

I always considered Pears better against the run than Hairston, giving Hairston an edge wrt pass protection. Hairston is far more agile, and this is why is does fairly well on the left side. That said, Wake is a good player. He has 37 sacks since 2009, with 9.5 coming this season alone. Obviously, he is hard to stop.

In all, Hairston would seem more suited to play against Wake. What one would have hoped for from Pears is that he perhaps could have punished him physically on some running downs and taken some wind out of his sails. But remember, I am more fond of Pears than most posters seem to be.

http://nyjetscap.com...Pears, Erik.php

This is what I found wrt his contract. IF he can get healthy, I have zero problems with the deal.

I agree that Pears' contract seems fair, in light of what he provides to the team. I also agree that Cameron Wake is ridiculously good at getting to the QB. Even so, I wish Hairston had had a better day. Maybe when they face each other again he'll do better.

They will re-sign Levitre and then franchise Byrd. Franchise value for Safety is only 5M while a OL is ~10M.

Don't be surprised if Byrd sits out if they try that. He knows he's been well under compensated by his rookie contract relative to his performance, and he'll be looking for a long term deal to compensate him for it.