Bills Have Top 5 NFL Offensive Line

Boludo

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

This looks like one of the lone spots on the team where the draft picks have worked out. With Levitre/Wood at the core they've quietly become a top unit over the past several seasons.

People commonly talk about how important it is to have a good offensive line, but is it really helping the Bills? Our running blocking is good, Fitz generally has time, but where does it get us?

Who knows, but anyways kudos to the offensive line for being one of the few bright spots.

Though I agree that our OL is one of the better areas on our team, I would say that the quality and ability of our running backs as well as the offensive scheme might help us out in regards to the formula used in the link. There are many plays where Spiller has no holes to run through and turns a 2 yard loss into a 10+ yard gain.

http://www.footballo...rs.com/stats/ol

This looks like one of the lone spots on the team where the draft picks have worked out. With Levitre/Wood at the core they've quietly become a top unit over the past several seasons.

People commonly talk about how important it is to have a good offensive line, but is it really helping the Bills? Our running blocking is good, Fitz generally has time, but where does it get us?

Who knows, but anyways kudos to the offensive line for being one of the few bright spots.

if we ever do draft a high quality QB he won't be immediately physically, mentally and emotionally damaged

if we ever do draft a high quality QB he won't be immediately physically, mentally and emotionally damaged

If he has the Fitz like abilty to get rid of the ball quickly and direct his blockers after his line reads our Qb has a little to do with this ranking.

http://www.footballo...rs.com/stats/ol

I noticed that the Bills' OL was rated among the top 5 in run blocking, and among the top 5 in pass protection. No other team was top-5 in both category, and only two other teams were top-5 in one and top-10 in the other. (The Patriots were fifth-best in pass protection and 6th best in run blocking. The NYG were second best in pass protection and 8th best in run blocking.) An argument could be made that the Bills, Patriots, and Giants have the three best OLs in the league--at least assuming their statistical ratings are valid. I'll grant the argument that the OL is probably siphoning off some of the credit due to Spiller (for making something out of nothing) or to Fitz (for getting rid of the ball in a hurry). Even so, the Bills' OL is clearly a source of strength.

How useful is it to have a good OL? The answer to that question largely depends on how good your quarterback is. Take the Ravens of 2000, for example. They had a very good OL, led by a HOF-level LT in Jon Ogden. But they had a mediocre QB.

The main point of having a good OL is to receive good pass protection. The point of having good pass protection is so that the QB can make good, accurate throws. The problem with a guy like Trent Dilfer is that he can't make good, accurate throws no matter how much pass protection you give him. The Ravens offense of 2000 went five straight games without scoring a touchdown, despite having a very good OL.

On the other hand, consider a guy like Eli Manning or Tom Brady. If you give either of those guys good pass protection, they'll typically eat the defense for lunch. A good OL--and specifically good pass protection--matters a lot more when you have a QB like that, than when you have a QB like Dilfer.

the O-Line ranked 30th in:

Power Success: Percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Also includes runs on first-and-goal or second-and-goal from the two-yard line or closer.

this is the true measure of an offensive line strength

i think Fitz throwing the ball in 3 seconds or less and the quality of Freddy (yards after contact) and Spiller hides alot of sins.

Though I agree that our OL is one of the better areas on our team, I would say that the quality and ability of our running backs as well as the offensive scheme might help us out in regards to the formula used in the link. There are many plays where Spiller has no holes to run through and turns a 2 yard loss into a 10+ yard gain.

You're dreaming.

That has happened maybe 3 times where he bounced it outside.

Generally both RBs run through gigantic holes created by one of the best offensive lines in the NFL.

It is not 2008 anymore. The Bills O-Line is for real.

the "fitz throwing quickly" thing is a bunch of BS....hes had MANY attempts every game where this line gives him over 5 seconds to stand in the pocket and make a wuss throw/INT....

there are MANY times every game where there are wide open holes and CJ decides to bounce it to the outside

anyone who thinks this O-line isnt GREAT doesnt know football, period....

Power Success: Percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Also includes runs on first-and-goal or second-and-goal from the two-yard line or closer.

i think Fitz throwing the ball in 3 seconds or less and the quality of Freddy (yards after contact) and Spiller hides alot of sins.

in all fairness, Gailey would have to actually run the ball on 3rd and 2 situations and not have an empty backfield, shotgun formation. It happens way to much.

I'd like to see the numbers behind that ranking.

My guess is the Bills have an unusually low quantity of attempts.

As Chan likes to pass and pass often in short yardage situations.

Considering the Bills tried for the better part of last decade to build a competent line, this is a bit of a bright spot this season.

Of course if Levitre departs the unit will take a big step backwards.

I Agree that losing Levitre would be

1.) Just plain dumb. - Pay the man. He is a stalwart o-lineman willing to do whatever it takes to win. He volunteered for LT duty when we needed and he had a rough start at LT he held his own after awhile. He even jumped on Center duties which was more of a disaster. He has missed very little time. There is very little doubt in my mind and probably most of the NFL's mind that he will be a solid O-Lineman in 2017. Sign him up and pay him.

That being said

2.) Right Guard is probably the easiest position to fill, LG is the second easiest on the O-line. One thing Buddy Nix has been good at his going dumpster diving for O-Line. So if they made the wrong decision and they didn't reward a player that has earn the franchises' loyalty I don't think it would be hard to find a LG. Zebrie Sanders is stached on IR. He will likely hold down RT in 2013 and you can rick Pears inside or vice versa.

3.) It's still be very stupid to break up the Wood-Levitre-Glen Left side of the O-Line. In 2014 they will be considered the best, bar-non Offensive line in the NFL or atleast the Best left side of an offensive line in the NFL. Keep it together Buddy. Build on your strengths don't weaken them.

Considering the Bills tried for the better part of last decade to build a competent line, this is a bit of a bright spot this season.

Of course if Levitre departs the unit will take a big step backwards.

levitre is going nowhere.....he will be franchise tagged if necessary....he is more valuable than byrd.

Edited by papazoid

the "fitz throwing quickly" thing is a bunch of BS....hes had MANY attempts every game where this line gives him over 5 seconds to stand in the pocket and make a wuss throw/INT....

there are MANY times every game where there are wide open holes and CJ decides to bounce it to the outside

anyone who thinks this O-line isnt GREAT doesnt know football, period....

Greatness is wasted on the Bills.

Might I suggest actually watching the games? If you are watching them, how are you missing that this is one of the better lines in the NFL?

I noticed that the Bills' OL was rated among the top 5 in run blocking, and among the top 5 in pass protection. No other team was top-5 in both category, and only two other teams were top-5 in one and top-10 in the other. (The Patriots were fifth-best in pass protection and 6th best in run blocking. The NYG were second best in pass protection and 8th best in run blocking.) An argument could be made that the Bills, Patriots, and Giants have the three best OLs in the league--at least assuming their statistical ratings are valid. I'll grant the argument that the OL is probably siphoning off some of the credit due to Spiller (for making something out of nothing) or to Fitz (for getting rid of the ball in a hurry). Even so, the Bills' OL is clearly a source of strength.

How useful is it to have a good OL? The answer to that question largely depends on how good your quarterback is. Take the Ravens of 2000, for example. They had a very good OL, led by a HOF-level LT in Jon Ogden. But they had a mediocre QB.

The main point of having a good OL is to receive good pass protection. The point of having good pass protection is so that the QB can make good, accurate throws. The problem with a guy like Trent Dilfer is that he can't make good, accurate throws no matter how much pass protection you give him. The Ravens offense of 2000 went five straight games without scoring a touchdown, despite having a very good OL.

On the other hand, consider a guy like Eli Manning or Tom Brady. If you give either of those guys good pass protection, they'll typically eat the defense for lunch. A good OL--and specifically good pass protection--matters a lot more when you have a QB like that, than when you have a QB like Dilfer.

You beat me to it. If you actually looked at the numbers, the Bills are the only team in the NFL to be top 5 in both pass protection and run blocking. They very well may be the best OL in the league. They were already top 5 last year, but the majority of people on this website refused to believe it. And for the guy who asked, great, we have a good OL and where has it gotten us? Well we have a middle of the road offense with Fitzpatrick as our QB and Donald Jones as our #2 WR. You think we'd score as many points as we do without the OL we have? Think again.