Sean Payton could be a free agent.

Kevin

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking a chance on an eager, young, innovative coach isn't always a bad idea, is it?

But there has to be somebody that can be lured out of retirement... B-)

He has won a championship, I think there are only a few coaches who have won a superbowl with more then one team. Plus, I look at the situation he had in New Orleans and wonder what assistants would want to work with him. We don't have Brees and I do not want us reaching arm over leg to try to find one and being set back. Plus, without Williams, his defenses sucked.

He has won a championship, I think there are only a few coaches who have won a superbowl with more then one team. Plus, I look at the situation he had in New Orleans and wonder what assistants would want to work with him. We don't have Brees and I do not want us reaching arm over leg to try to find one and being set back. Plus, without Williams, his defenses sucked.

You misunderstand. Payton isn't coming to Buffalo.

He has won a championship, I think there are only a few coaches who have won a superbowl with more then one team.

No head coach has won a Super Bowl with more than one team. A few have taken multiple teams to a SB (Parcells, Vermeil, Shula, etc) however.

Ok, a few things.

1st... There is absolutely no way in hell Payton comes here. Not because of the state of the organization, not because of the city, but because he could go back to Dallas.

2nd... I read the whole article and I still don't get the whole situation. Was it me or was this thing written terribly? Is he a FA because the NFL said he was? Or because he wants to be? There's a difference. I get that the contract is or would be voided part. But that doesn't mean anything if Payton wants to stay in New Orleans and they want him back.

3rd... I called it when all this was going down originally. Not that his contract would be voided by the NFL but that it would be voided by the Saints. Either way, if he doesn't come back to the Saints, he would not be asked to come back.

Oh, I know that, but I think it'd be a bottom tier team trying to take a flier on him. Too many issues to bring him somewhere that is established.

I'm not sure if you consider the Cowboys a bottom tier team or not. I don't think that. Although Jerry Jones does suck as an owner/GM.

It's shaping up to be an interesting off-season and there is likely to be several franchises that blow up their front offices.

The way I interpreted the whole thing is that his contract is voided by the suspension of the GM.

I know that there is no chance of him coming to Buffalo. I just thought that with all of the "Head Coaching" threads and how everyone wants Marty, or Cowher, or Wade, or Perry Fewell, or Andy Reid, or basically anyone other than Chan Gailey I would throw my two cents in as to who I would want. Payton was the "hot" coordinator that went to a very bad team and turned it around. That is who I want. The "hot" coordinator willing to try to turn around a bad team should the need for a head coach come up with the Bills organization.

I believe that Payton will indeed return with the Saints, and if he should leave then Jason Garrett will be sent packing ASAP.

The way I interpreted the whole thing is that his contract is voided by the suspension of the GM.

Not from what they are reporting. The NFL voided that contract because the contract allowed Payton to void the deal if Loomis was suspended, fired, etc. It's an ironic twist that the NFL's objection to the contract also voids the contract, essentially enforcing their specific objection.

If you are a Saints fan and a conspiracy theorist, you got to be wondering if the NFL is just gunning for your team and kicking them back to the laughingstock group of franchises. :devil:

Ok, a few things.

1st... There is absolutely no way in hell Payton comes here. Not because of the state of the organization, not because of the city, but because he could go back to Dallas.

2nd... I read the whole article and I still don't get the whole situation. Was it me or was this thing written terribly? Is he a FA because the NFL said he was? Or because he wants to be? There's a difference. I get that the contract is or would be voided part. But that doesn't mean anything if Payton wants to stay in New Orleans and they want him back.

3rd... I called it when all this was going down originally. Not that his contract would be voided by the NFL but that it would be voided by the Saints. Either way, if he doesn't come back to the Saints, he would not be asked to come back.

You misunderstood. The nfl never approved his extension last year. So he's been working under his old contract since then. That contract expires this year. the loomis clause was why the nfl didn't approve in the first place - it wasn't voided due to the suspension.

The nfl is saying that they haven't ruled and its up to roger. If true, and its taken him 14 months - that's disgraceful. Just another thing to hang over the franchise, along with the draft pick next year and his reinstatement needing to also be approved.

Edited by NoSaint

I know that there is no chance of him coming to Buffalo. I just thought that with all of the "Head Coaching" threads and how everyone wants Marty, or Cowher, or Wade, or Perry Fewell, or Andy Reid, or basically anyone other than Chan Gailey I would throw my two cents in as to who I would want. Payton was the "hot" coordinator that went to a very bad team and turned it around. That is who I want. The "hot" coordinator willing to try to turn around a bad team should the need for a head coach come up with the Bills organization.

I believe that Payton will indeed return with the Saints, and if he should leave then Jason Garrett will be sent packing ASAP.

actually, just the opposite....At issue in the contract was one specific clause that would have enabled Payton to walk away from the deal if general manager Mickey Loomis was suspended, fired or left the New Orleans organization, sources said.

The league believed that any such language in Payton's contract would set a bad precedent for other coaching contracts and rejected the deal well before Loomis was suspended for the first eight games this season for his part in the bounty scandal.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8592214/sean-payton-deal-new-orleans-saints-voided-nfl-sources-say

as far as where he may land.....a franchise QB is a must......not sure Romo qualifies for that.....but Dallas money would be huge. new orleans would still be the favorite, but past those two, i think San Diego with philip rivers would be in play.