You Go Unions!

3rdnlng

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked over a year doing 3rds at UPS Toledo Hub. It is a Union state. In 2001 you made 6 payments in a row after working for 6 weeks and making the shop...who got $300. The first of every month I think they took $30 or $45. It paid $8.50/hr. You got a raise of $.50/after a year.

There were 16 pods with 10 doors for outbound. There were probably 90-100 truck bays for local. And in bound had 30-40 doors. We handled everything from Michigan, the midwest/above column us and most of canada funneling in or out. The job was insane. They'd run you over if you'd let them yet they were fair. There were a lot of lazy ass union coattail riders and a ton of middle management nobodies. UPS paid you good for what you did and they only pushed you as hard as you pushed themselves.

You're equally outraged by this example of executives running a $15+Billion debt in 2012 while they get record bonuses, no doubt.

11+ billion of that is the pre-funding of retiree benefits out 75 years - which I think is such a good Idea it should be applied to every corporation in America- the Republicans certainly thought I'd be a good idea for the USPO you'd think they'd be for a law to spread that genius idea around to the rest of the corporations right?

"In a statement overnight, Hostess said the bonuses are designed to keep top brass from leaving before winding down what's left of the company "quickly and cost-effectively."

They obviously need these execs to stay on to close up the shop in the most cost effective way and the bonuses were designed to keep them from jumping ship sooner than when the job is done. Anybody that doesn't understand this is more than a little bit naive.

11+ billion of that is the pre-funding of retiree benefits out 75 years - which I think is such a good Idea it should be applied to every corporation in America- the Republicans certainly thought I'd be a good idea for the USPO you'd think they'd be for a law to spread that genius idea around to the rest of the corporations right?

They should move to a predefined contribution plan for their retirees like most of the rest of the country has.

They did not make $11 billion in payments to their retiree fund in 2012 - quite the contrary - they skipped payments of $5+B twice during the fiscal year. THEY LOST $15+Buh-buh-BILLION last year ALONE.

The "genius idea" is a non starter in the private sector. It's a pay as you go situation there. Employers contribute a % of employee wages to their individual 401k plans. Those are funded regularly on a weekly/biweekly/monthly basis. Those are not unfunded liabilities like the public sector pension funds are.

"In a statement overnight, Hostess said the bonuses are designed to keep top brass from leaving before winding down what's left of the company "quickly and cost-effectively."

They obviously need these execs to stay on to close up the shop in the most cost effective way and the bonuses were designed to keep them from jumping ship sooner than when the job is done. Anybody that doesn't understand this is more than a little bit naive.

... but at $50 an hour, the CEO should have to work 4,000 hours a week... /EII

You're equally outraged by this example of executives running a $15+Billion debt in 2012 while they get record bonuses, no doubt.

I am! This ain't Eudora Welty's life @ the PO! The "golden tier" GSers (GS-13, 14, 15 executives) should be equally ashamed...

YET... The PO is the only agency directly mandated in the US Constitution AND is a cornerstone to any free civilization. It is shameful that it can even compete in the same breath as other private endeavours. What was one of the first things we did when we screwed our self in the financial bung hole by going into Iraq preemptively? Establish a PO... LoL... Must be important... Hmmm...

They should move to a predefined contribution plan for their retirees like most of the rest of the country has.

They did not make $11 billion in payments to their retiree fund in 2012 - quite the contrary - they skipped payments of $5+B twice during the fiscal year. THEY LOST $15+Buh-buh-BILLION last year ALONE.

The "genius idea" is a non starter in the private sector. It's a pay as you go situation there. Employers contribute a % of employee wages to their individual 401k plans. Those are funded regularly on a weekly/biweekly/monthly basis. Those are not unfunded liabilities like the public sector pension funds are.

Two different leagues... Like it or not, the PO again is the cornerstone of society... It is never going away and at least can't until the USC is changed... Deal w/it. It is not a private business.

The U.S. Postal Service reported a net loss of $15.9 billion for the fiscal year ending September 30, a record for the agency, as mail volume continued to fall.

The Postal Service's loss was driven in part by a requirement that the semi-government agency prefund retiree health benefits to the tune of $11.1 billion. Even without that payment, however, the agency would have nearly matched last year's annual net loss of $5.1 billion.

In announcing the news, Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe called on Congress to act to help get the mail delivery service onto sound financial footing.

"It's critical that Congress do its part and pass comprehensive legislation before they adjourn this year to move the Postal Service further down the path toward financial health," he said. The Postal Service is seeking more leeway to manage its business independently and reductions in prefunding retiree health benefits.

A plan put forward by the agency requests approval to determine delivery frequency - which would likely mean the elimination of Saturday delivery - the right to offer non-postal products and services, a "more streamlined governance model" allowing for quicker decision-making on pricing and other business decisions, and that arbitrators take into account the financial woes of the agency during labor discussions.

Yes, let's just pretend those billions in guaranteed healthcare costs will be covered by future revenues. Looks how good that plan is working in state budgets across the country.

Funny how people like you never want to discuss economic reality.

Look @ it this way and I will be done w/it. No way in heck can anybody compare the USPS to UPS and they way they do business. Just won't happen, can't happen... Two different complete beasts. You aren't getting rid of the USPS anytime soon unless you literally change the USC... Or shred it worse than any flaming lib and repub could ever imagine. There is a reason why the PO sits in that document specifically, that is for another discussion.

We are talking private sector vs. public sector. Ethically and legally, UPS can do whatever it wants as long as it is NOT AGAINST the law. The USPS can ONLY do WHAT THE LAW IS. Big difference here. And of course the USPS is ABOVE (USC ramifications) any private entity (UPS). Once again, the PO isn't going away any place soon. Yes, they may change the way they do "business." That is a given. Companies like UP brought this unequal fight many years ago when the USPS was bulging @ the seams. I am sorry, if there is going to be a loser, it is not going to be our cornerstone of democracy so stop wasting your time comparing the two... Apples and oranges that just happen to have the same color.

Signed,

Cliff Clavin

:lol:

maybe that 24 hours are you come in when we !@#$ing tell you 24 hours- if you want to back a law that forces employers to give set schedules I'm with you duckie

Don't take a job in a field where you might find yourself working whenever your employer tells you. Oh the horror.

Don't take a job in a field where you might find yourself working whenever your employer tells you. Oh the horror.

Yeah the horror... But there are other options, if you want... Again, say the public sector... They can (in essence) only do what the law tells them to. Sure, I suppose they can do what ever they want (unethically)... But it is a slam dunk win if fought properly.

Look @ it this way and I will be done w/it. No way in heck can anybody compare the USPS to UPS and they way they do business. Just won't happen, can't happen... Two different complete beasts. You aren't getting rid of the USPS anytime soon unless you literally change the USC... Or shred it worse than any flaming lib and repub could ever imagine. There is a reason why the PO sits in that document specifically, that is for another discussion.

We are talking private sector vs. public sector. Ethically and legally, UPS can do whatever it wants as long as it is NOT AGAINST the law. The USPS can ONLY do WHAT THE LAW IS. Big difference here. And of course the USPS is ABOVE (USC ramifications) any private entity (UPS). Once again, the PO isn't going away any place soon. Yes, they may change the way they do "business." That is a given. Companies like UP brought this unequal fight many years ago when the USPS was bulging @ the seams. I am sorry, if there is going to be a loser, it is not going to be our cornerstone of democracy so stop wasting your time comparing the two... Apples and oranges that just happen to have the same color.

Signed,

Cliff Clavin

:lol:

You sure know how to use a lot of words to say nothing.

FINE. I'll stipulate that 11BBB Billion of that was from two skipped payments of $5.1BBB Billion they were mandated to pay.

They still lost $5BBB Billion in operating losses last year ALONE.

And, EEI - I get it, they're Constitutionally mandated to exist... but in what form?

Ever drive on a road in your community that's named "blah,blah,blah Post Road"?

I've got a North Post road not too far from where I lived.

That was a government built road to the community's Post Office, circa 1798.

While we're at it - check out the Constitution's definition of the government's power to create roads - North Post Rd happens to be one of them. Try as you might, the Interstate system isn't in there. Neither is any other US highway that isn't a toll road.

FINE. I'll stipulate that 11BBB Billion of that was from two skipped payments of $5.1BBB Billion they were mandated to pay.

They still lost $5BBB Billion in operating losses last year ALONE.

And, EEI - I get it, they're Constitutionally mandated to exist... but in what form?

Ever drive on a road in your community that's named "blah,blah,blah Post Road"?

I've got a North Post road not too far from where I lived.

That was a government built road to the community's Post Office, circa 1798.

While we're at it - check out the Constitution's definition of the government's power to create roads - North Post Rd happens to be one of them. Try as you might, the Interstate system isn't in there. Neither is any other US highway that isn't a toll road.

Our founding fathers knew how important a post office was. Really think about it. They say we live in a "information age" now... Yet, we always have. Everything is built on the post office doing its work. Private couriers are a whole 'nother and lower beast.

Article 1, section 8:

To establish Post Offices and Post Roads

What are the first 3 words there. That is what I was referring too mainly. Anway... Any public road is a post road. Does mail travel over it? Does mail travel over the interstate system?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois