Buddy Nix on WGR this morning

DPR4444

The team is a mess. We have an ownership situation that is in question because of the age/health of Ralph. We have an expiring lease. We have a 70+ year old scout as our GM. We have a Marketing guys as team president. We have a mediocre Offensive Coordinator/Country Bumkin as our HC. We have a career backup as our starting QB.

Ain't that the truth!!!

Ain't that the truth!!!

Patriots:

A failed former headcoach and DC that rode in on the laurels of Bill Parcels who is often called overrated himself. A history of cheating. A QB who was barely drafted. An owner who has been in more trash tabloids then anything of recent, who runs his mouth about his players. A GM who doesn't value his proven talent and brings in any veteran to stop-gap he can then cuts them after realizing their tank is empty. A history of drafting unproven talent and looking for the high returns and often not panning out.

Jets:

A laughing stock of an offseason orchestrated by their FO and even mocked by their foot fettish HC. An offensive coordinator that is in over his head trying to teach the son of a supposed legend how to run a wildcat formation that is now considered out of style even after they acquire a much heralded player in Tebow. Their starting QB is worse then any other in the division, with great talent scattered across the roster they cannot find any wins and only blame excuses to losing Revis when in reality they have done little to nothing to improve their roster. At RB where they like the ground and pound they have nothing. At WR they have less then nothing. On defense they have over paid. So, do you need to know more about the front office?

Cowboys:

A meddling owner who will not only throw you under the bus, he'll take your corpse and rape it, filet it and then grind it up feeding it to the dogs. The one hundredth QB to start for them in the last 12 years because they cannot truly find a good starter, the franchise QB that they believed they had with an overrated Aikman. The HC is some genius that cannot do anything as a HC and was made to look better then he actually is when he had much better HC above him, Wade Phillips and Chan Gailey (yes, Chan is a better HC then Garrett). Their FO is a reflection of their owner who has not lead a team to the playoffs (a real team, not a limped together joke like the Browns were a few seasons ago). They go all out in Dallas and have nothing to show for it but the 2nd largest circus in the NFL.

Giants:

Tom Coughlin? Are you kidding me? The guy was nearly run out of town the year they won the super bowl. Mara is a good owner but when you're having success is it possible to be a bad owner? Their FO has taken chances on injury prone players that has left them in weakened positions made worse by a HC who seems too ill prepared for many games (see season opener). Amukarakmamkama the CB was a risk, a good risk, but not so far a good player. They have no running game, they have a weak line, they have just an average team that plays very well.

My point is you can make these statements similar for any team.

we are two years and 7 games into a total rebuild - so lets gut it and restart AGAIN. Good teams don't do this DO NOT restart keep going forward with this staff and GM. Disappointing season or not do not jerk the wheel like we always do. We are babies who want a winner and some how think Chan Gailey had something to do with the 2001-2002-2003-2004-2005-2006-2007-2008-2009 seasons. Chan has built a pretty good offense around terrible players according to this board. He has earned another year.

Because Chan has a southern drawl now he's an idiot when the FACT is he as respected as any coach in the game. Do some research once your internet bill gets paid and is turned back on.

Edited by CardinalScotts

The team is a mess. We have an ownership situation that is in question because of the age/health of Ralph. We have an expiring lease. We have a 70+ year old scout as our GM. We have a Marketing guys as team president. We have a mediocre Offensive Coordinator/Country Bumkin as our HC. We have a career backup as our starting QB.

You forgot Wanny with his outdated, pathetic defensive schemes.

otherwise, you just have to build for awhile. it shouldnt be a 5 year plan to get to the playoffs, but i dont demand a one year either. we should easily be on the cusp right now. and though it looks daunting, were only one game out (though the next 2 are very daunting).

Drawing conclusions from the current record is very misleading. When the Bills played the 49ers and the Pats this year, both upper tier teams, the Bills were embarrassed and outclassed. Measuring yourself against quality teams is the real measuring stick. A team's overall record can sometimes be deceiving. From that standpoint the Bills are far away.

I listened to the WGR Nix interview. I got the sense that he understands what his team needs are.The challenge isn't identifying team needs. You and I can adequately do that. Executing a plan to fill the needs through the draft and free agency is the real challenge. Is Buddy Nix up to the task? That is the real issue.

In my view Nix's biggest failing so far is miscalculating in believing that Fitz was an adequate enough franchise qb to buy him time to upgrade the roster in general. That was a mistake. He had the opportunity a couple of drafts ago to pick Dalton who I believe is going to be a good qb. Instead he drafted Aaron Williams, a CB. In my opinion that was a mistake that set our franchise back.

Edited by JohnC

we are two years and 7 games into a total rebuild - so lets gut it and restart AGAIN. Good teams don't do this DO NOT restart keep going forward with this staff and GM. Disappointing season or not do not jerk the wheel like we always do. We are babies who want a winner and some how think Chan Gailey had something to do with the 2001-2002-2003-2004-2005-2006-2007-2008-2009 seasons. Chan has built a pretty good offense around terrible players according to this board. He has earned another year.

Because Chan has a southern drawl now he's an idiot when the FACT is he as respected as any coach in the game. Do some research once your internet bill gets paid and is turned back on.

You're making too much sense. You need to spew some venom to be cool around here. But seriously I agree tear down and rebuilding every three years does not seem to be working.

The other thing that irked me this morning with the interview was when Buddy backtracked about the playoffs being the next step for this team. I don't have the exact quote, but he said something to the effect of "I've never said the playoffs was the next step" or something along those lines. Yet, before the season, he seemed to infer that it was playoffs or bust this year....

Some of the quotes like these may come back to haunt him:

Expectations for your team. Are they getting out of hand? Does that concern you a little bit?

"No, I like high expectations. I've never been many places where if you didn't have 'em, that good things happen. So I think they oughta expect a lot of us. We expect a lot out of ourselves. New England, the AFC -- they don't scare me. I think we can compete with any of 'em, and our intention is to try to win the division."

The 2012 season for the Buffalo Bills will be a success if ...?

"Well, I think anything short of going to the playoffs for me, personally, would be a big disappointment."

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/22...s-gm-buddy-nix

Patriots

Jets

Cowboys

Giants

My point is you can make these statements similar for any team.

Would any of those teams, if they needed a HC, get turned down repeatedly? That's one question you can't ask for about 31 other teams. Why is that? Why did the Bills fall back on their emergency hire, Chan Gailey, and bring him in under almost cover of darkness?

Edited by BillsVet

You mean re-treads like Marv Levy, Bill Belicheck and Tom Coughlin?

You can find good coaches that were previously head coaches already. You can find good coaches who were not previously head coaches. Our problem is not that we have looked in the wrong place, it's just that we haven't chosen the right one and we haven't surrounded any of them with enough talent to win.

I don't know...The difference between Belichick, Coughlin and this bunch is the latter two did have some fairly recent success in the NFL as HC's or Coordinators...It's not only that The Bills have retreads...They have retreads with little recent success at the highest level... B-)

Just remember this, Brian Schottenheimer, Russ Grimm, Jim Harbaugh all declined to interview with a Ralph Wilson owned team. That speaks louder than anything Nix or Gailey say on radio.

Would any of those teams, if they needed a HC, get turned down repeatedly? That's one question you can't ask for about 31 other teams. Why is that? Why did the Bills fall back on their emergency hire, Chan Gailey, and bring him in under almost cover of darkness?

Good point, maybe more exaggeration then reality, but still point taken.

So now they decide they need a QB when this years draft class is the weakest class ever.

Just be happy he EVEN realizes what a mess he's in. That's Step 1.We know what we have in Fitz..... garbage. We need to get serious and go after a QB with some smarts and a decent arm. Not a big fan of BArkley but he will be better than( Mr). Garbage.If Geno Smith can read defenses then he already qualifies as better the (Mr) Garbage.

David Wilson may or may not be a franchise.... but I think he qualifies.... easily as better thsan (Mr.) Garbage. If one of those three guys is on the board you simply HAVE TO TAKE HIM :w00t:

I try and listen to WGR when I get a chance, and almost always hear the Fitz, Gaily, and Nix weekly calls. They always ask tough to answer questions. What is Nix supposed to say? That he is planning to fire Gaily? Some times I feel bad for Fitz after tough games, he comes on at 9am after 3 hours of angry phone calls and the hosts nonchalantly writing him off.

He sounded like a moron otherwise. He said this is the year to take the next step before the season started.. but today said that didn't mean making the playoffs. Is the next step 7 wins and still last in the division?

Also said that starting over with new coaching/schemes sets the team back for years. Jeremy white mentioned that both the Dolphins and Colts are much improved at 4-3 and under new regimes... he basically mumbled on and said well it can happen.. but usually doesn't.

Another fine example is the 49ers with Mike Singletary out and Jim Harbaugh in. I'm calling Total BS on Buddy.

Also said that starting over with new coaching/schemes sets the team back for years. Jeremy white mentioned that both the Dolphins and Colts are much improved at 4-3 and under new regimes... he basically mumbled on and said well it can happen.. but usually doesn't.

Oh yes, a new coaching team at defense will set us back from where we are right now. Worse than 32nd out of 32 teams!! :sick: :sick: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Hire a winning coach instead of there flunkies next time.

I am curious as to why Nix is still clamouring for a franchise QB , just as he was when he took over, only to have passed on multiple franchise QBs, since he has taken over.......

Chan and Wade are very similar, albeit in mirror situations- one defensive minded one not, one had the QB with the arm and no brains, (Johnson) the other has the QB with the brains and no arm. Both have DeHaven. Fans regret the firing of Wade so soon. Jerruh misses Chan, says he fired him too soon- Jerruh fired Wade too late, hell I dunno....

This team had potential if healthy. The lack of intense year round conditioning shows up with all the injuries. Poor drafting , letting free agents walk , and a weak coaching staff. Until there's a new owner commited to staying in Buffalo like Pegula is to the Sabres, its up in the air right now. I still would go with Bill Polian and his son to take over.

What is so frustrating about this season is that I loved all the offseason moves. Signing of Mario, bringing in a QB coach to improve Fitz's mechanics, move Wanny to DC, draft a solid CB, and bonus, a solid LT in the second round, we signed FredEx to a short extension. Had we not done any of these things I would have complained bitterly about the same old Bills. Nix did exactly what I hoped he would do. But seemingly every move has turned to rust. Mario is a huge disappointment, Fitz still can't hit an open receiver while moving his feet, Wanny has lost his mojo, the CB- who looked so good in the preseason seems - disinterested on the field, and the LT is hurt.

This team is in a holding pattern until we get new ownership. Nix said at the hiring of Chan that lots of candidates called about the job. I don't believe that at all. There may only be 32 NFL teams on the planet, but no one, and I mean no one in their right mind would come here now. Yes, the entire organization needs to be blown up. But doing so prior to new ownership seems pointless.

I feel bad for us fans. And I feel bad for Nix, who many of us congratulated after making some pretty good moves. This team IS cursed.