Buddy Nix on WGR this morning

DPR4444

I only caught the tail end of the interview, so I hope someone heard more of and can fill in the context, but Buddy said this, and it sounds about as definite as these things get:

"We want to draft a good young quarterback. I don't want to.... I don't want to leave here without a franchise guy for the future in place."

I have no idea if the previous discussion was about specific guys, or Buddy's possible retirement, or whatever. But even Howard Simon and Jeremy White sounded a little stunned that Nix would be so definite in this statement.

Feel free to add any detail if you heard more of this than I did.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He sounded like a moron otherwise. He said this is the year to take the next step before the season started.. but today said that didn't mean making the playoffs. Is the next step 7 wins and still last in the division?

Also said that starting over with new coaching/schemes sets the team back for years. Jeremy white mentioned that both the Dolphins and Colts are much improved at 4-3 and under new regimes... he basically mumbled on and said well it can happen.. but usually doesn't.

He sounded like a moron otherwise. He said this is the year to take the next step before the season started.. but today said that didn't mean making the playoffs. Is the next step 7 wins and still last in the division?

Also said that starting over with new coaching/schemes sets the team back for years. Jeremy white mentioned that both the Dolphins and Colts are much improved at 4-3 and under new regimes... he basically mumbled on and said well it can happen.. but usually doesn't.

As far as schemes, didn't they just change the defensive scheme?

As far as coaches, I don't agree with the cliche. What really sets a team back years is not hiring the right guys to build a competitive team immediately. What sets you back isn't not sticking with your Rich Kotite decision for more years, it was the decision to hire the next Rich Kotite in the first place. Speaking of which, why go through 3 years, the coach's entire contract, before determining that maybe it'd be a good idea to look for a franchise QB?

Yeah, the only real information I got out of that interview was:

• They will be keeping our coaching staff in place next year
  • They will be drafting a franchise QB in the Round 1 or Round 2 in this years draft

Buddy Nix: "I am not leaving Buffalo without a Franchise QB in place". I was encouraged that they realize that they do not have a franchise QB in Fitz, and will be looking to bring one in.

As far as schemes, didn't they just change the defensive scheme?

As far as coaches, I don't agree with the cliche. What really sets a team back years is not hiring the right guys to build a competitive team immediately. What sets you back isn't not sticking with your Rich Kotite decision for more years, it was the decision to hire the next Rich Kotite in the first place. Speaking of which, why go through 3 years, the coach's entire contract, before determining that maybe it'd be a good idea to look for a franchise QB?

Exactly, makes no difference when you change up to someone who is equally inept and in over their head. It would be nice to get some young coaching talent.

I don't want a coach/GM who are on their way out to be the ones picking the of the future.

It's time for Nix to retire. Let Whalley take over and decide what he wants to do at HC. Then then Whalley and his chosen HC pick the QB of the future.

The team is a mess. We have an ownership situation that is in question because of the age/health of Ralph. We have an expiring lease. We have a 70+ year old scout as our GM. We have a Marketing guys as team president. We have a mediocre Offensive Coordinator/Country Bumkin as our HC. We have a career backup as our starting QB.

By hiring the right front office and coaching staff, a legitimate turn-around CAN be done in one season.

But that requires doing a lot of things right - most of which the Bills have done wrong.

> Finding the right guy at quarterback is a big one. We have screwed up big here.

> Drafting strong is another. Our first two drafts are starting to look like complete losses.

> Picking the right coordinators is another. Our defensive assistants have been pathetic.

> Having a plan is also important. We wasted 2 full years of building a 3-4 defense, only to scrap it in year 3.

Buddy thinks the fans need to show patience, because he believes one-year turnarounds are too rare to count on.

But the problem isn't patience. The problem is that we are making the wrong decisions.

By hiring the right front office and coaching staff, a legitimate turn-around CAN be done in one season.

But that requires doing a lot of things right - most of which the Bills have done wrong.

> Finding the right guy at quarterback is a big one. We have screwed up big here.

> Drafting strong is another. Our first two drafts are starting to look like complete losses.

> Picking the right coordinators is another. Our defensive assistants have been pathetic.

> Having a plan is also important. We wasted 2 full years of building a 3-4 defense, only to scrap it in year 3.

Buddy thinks the fans need to show patience, because he believes one-year turnarounds are too rare to count on.

But the problem isn't patience. The problem is that we are making the wrong decisions.

they normally happen one of three ways:

1) stacked team that underachieved (49ers). add one or two pieces, and the right coach and winning seems easy (certainly not us 3 years ago, perhaps closer to us now)

2) mortgage the future, follow no plan, trade picks, create salary cap issues and bring in people with personality disorders (closer to the jets, no thanks, personally)

3) dumb luck (miami a few years ago, normally fall right back into losing ways)

otherwise, you just have to build for awhile. it shouldnt be a 5 year plan to get to the playoffs, but i dont demand a one year either. we should easily be on the cusp right now. and though it looks daunting, were only one game out (though the next 2 are very daunting).

Edited by NoSaint

Exactly, makes no difference when you change up to someone who is equally inept and in over their head. It would be nice to get some young coaching talent.

To be fair, Donahoe understood this and did try to hire young up-and-comers instead of getting on the retread merry-go-round, a place the Bills have often gone with very little scattered success over their history.

To be fair, Donahoe understood this and did try to hire young up-and-comers instead of getting on the retread merry-go-round, a place the Bills have often gone with very little scattered success over their history.

You mean re-treads like Marv Levy, Bill Belicheck and Tom Coughlin?

You can find good coaches that were previously head coaches already. You can find good coaches who were not previously head coaches. Our problem is not that we have looked in the wrong place, it's just that we haven't chosen the right one and we haven't surrounded any of them with enough talent to win.

I don't want a coach/GM who are on their way out to be the ones picking the of the future.

It's time for Nix to retire. Let Whalley take over and decide what he wants to do at HC. Then then Whalley and his chosen HC pick the QB of the future.

I understand what you are saying, but what if the right guy is there? So for me it's about who they pick, then we can comment on whether it should have been their decision.