Newspaper article: Anchor Bar

I'll go one step further...It's not just the wings, the ENTIRE restaurant sucks. It can go toe to toe with the best tourist traps across the USA.

Not seeing whats "sucks" (nor whats being 'preached').

Was there recently and I found the food, service and prices same as it ever was.

Edited by RkFast

Hope it does better than the ones in Rochester.

Anchor bar is a must visit to pay homage, but you don't need to go back as others are vastly superior. And you certianly don't need to go to a franchise.

You can throw Nick Tahoe's into the same category.. I'll give 'em credit for making the orignal Garbage Plate, but others have made it SOOOO much better.

Not seeing whats "sucks" (nor whats being 'preached').

Was there recently and I found the food, service and prices same as it ever was.

I work in the area, and once or twice a year I have some vendor who insists on going there. The food sucks, is overpriced, and the service is usually bad. It hasn't changed in 15 years. This is coming from a guy who doesn't exactly have high standards when it comes to restaurants. Edited by LabattBlue

to all who say "they dont suck" or "wings are good with more than just franks"

- the sauce is BLAND, wings are OFTEN under cooked there and who knows where they get these from because I have never seen/received the type of "retarded" chicken wings regularly that I have from Anchor Bar...it bothers me to think of a child with Downs Syndrome as I eat a chicken wing (and thats what happens in my mind when I get a chicken wing that is not a normal drum or wing)

for all the places in Buffalo that have AWESOME wings, I just cant see myself ever wasting time at Anchor Bar (only time I go is when I have out of town guests who INSIST on going there, and even then I HIGHLY discourage)

Better wing places: Duffs (by FAR), Elmo's, Gabriels Gate (just the BBQ), Amherst Ale House...all have far superior wings to Anchor Bar....

You can throw Nick Tahoe's into the same category.. I'll give 'em credit for making the orignal Garbage Plate, but others have made it SOOOO much better.

In order for Tahoes to be a tourist trap, Rochester would have to have had tourists. Yes there are better plates to be had at Dog Town or Charlie Riedels, but Tahoes is still better than many of the [suburb] Hots around town.

to all who say "they dont suck" or "wings are good with more than just franks"

- the sauce is BLAND, wings are OFTEN under cooked there and who knows where they get these from because I have never seen/received the type of "retarded" chicken wings regularly that I have from Anchor Bar...it bothers me to think of a child with Downs Syndrome as I eat a chicken wing (and thats what happens in my mind when I get a chicken wing that is not a normal drum or wing)

for all the places in Buffalo that have AWESOME wings, I just cant see myself ever wasting time at Anchor Bar (only time I go is when I have out of town guests who INSIST on going there, and even then I HIGHLY discourage)

Better wing places: Duffs (by FAR), Elmo's, Gabriels Gate (just the BBQ), Amherst Ale House...all have far superior wings to Anchor Bar....

Only been to the original Anchor Bar twice, and both times my wings were excellently cooked and at no time was I reminded of developmental or chromosomal disorders. Duffs, on the other hand, has served me some pretty soggy, disgusting wings swimming in vinegar. If wing sauce need be more than Frank's, than it certainly should be more than just vinegar. There is no excuse for ever serving soggy wings.

The Anchor Bar franchise locations in Rochester were truly an abomination. Service sucked, and wings consistently came to the table cold and without sauce.

In order for Tahoes to be a tourist trap, Rochester would have to have had tourists. Yes there are better plates to be had at Dog Town or Charlie Riedels, but Tahoes is still better than many of the [suburb] Hots around town.

Only been to the original Anchor Bar twice, and both times my wings were excellently cooked and at no time was I reminded of developmental or chromosomal disorders. Duffs, on the other hand, has served me some pretty soggy, disgusting wings swimming in vinegar. If wing sauce need be more than Frank's, than it certainly should be more than just vinegar. There is no excuse for ever serving soggy wings.

The Anchor Bar franchise locations in Rochester were truly an abomination. Service sucked, and wings consistently came to the table cold and without sauce.

thats a shame about your Duffs experience....I do agree they are served in a bowl filled with sauce, however, ive always found them to be perfectly crispy despite the sauce, and never had a taste of vinegar in them (and I am actually privy to the Duffs sauce and vinegar is indeed in the sauce but in a fractional proportion to the rest of the ingredients....bummer)...a shame indeed...im craving a big ole bowl of them rigth now (depsite it being 10 am)

never been to an anchor bar except for the original...thats a shame about their rochester locations too....

like all food/things in life, wings and the establishments that serve them certainly are a preference to people....