Newspaper article: Anchor Bar

to all who say "they dont suck" or "wings are good with more than just franks"

- the sauce is BLAND, wings are OFTEN under cooked there and who knows where they get these from because I have never seen/received the type of "retarded" chicken wings regularly that I have from Anchor Bar...it bothers me to think of a child with Downs Syndrome as I eat a chicken wing (and thats what happens in my mind when I get a chicken wing that is not a normal drum or wing)

for all the places in Buffalo that have AWESOME wings, I just cant see myself ever wasting time at Anchor Bar (only time I go is when I have out of town guests who INSIST on going there, and even then I HIGHLY discourage)

Better wing places: Duffs (by FAR), Elmo's, Gabriels Gate (just the BBQ), Amherst Ale House...all have far superior wings to Anchor Bar....

Do you eat suicide wings? Cause their suicide sauce is not bland. I have been to the Anchor Bar about 50 times and have never been served undercooked wings. The only complaint I have about them is a couple of times they were too busy and the wings arrived cold. I just sent them back. Duff's may as well be wing soup.

Do you eat suicide wings? Cause their suicide sauce is not bland. I have been to the Anchor Bar about 50 times and have never been served undercooked wings. The only complaint I have about them is a couple of times they were too busy and the wings arrived cold. I just sent them back. Duff's may as well be wing soup.

I love hot wings, I can do suicide, but feel as though I shouldnt have to eat suicide wings to get some flavor...and by bland I dont mean "not hot enough", I mean not "flavorful enough" - I know that duffs uses an insane amount of butter in their sauce, and have a feeling thats probably one of the missing ingredients (well not misisng, but much less of) to Anchor bar.....

Duffs is definately "wing soup" but the sauce is soooo good why not put more in there (plus, you can dip your fries up in there...mmmmmm)

mannnn I need Duffs ASAP now

I guess it all comes to personal preference. I like how Anchor does them and yes it is touristy. But Im from NYC and to me, "touristy" means the food totally stinks and is outrageously priced. So I go to Anchor and still get a a quality bowl of wings, beers, some Beef on Weck and dont spend a fortune, so I like that. There are "touristy" elements there but I dont get the impression its a tourist "trap."

Thanks, PM for the other suggestions.

Edited by RkFast

They do not suck...wings are very good with different than the standard Franks sauce taste...people just sometimes hate anything that is popular...like Nickelback

i hate nickleback because they suck, providing predictable homogenized pap that pretends to be rock and roll. it's muzak for the soul that has nothing to do with what rock stands for, and everything to do with what corporations think rock should stand for. popularity has nothing to do with it.

they sucked when i told them they sucked after they begged for an encore in some dingy Vancouver bar near the airport in the mid-1990s, and they still suck.

jw

i hate nickleback because they suck, providing predictable homogenized pap that pretends to be rock and roll. it's muzak for the soul that has nothing to do with what rock stands for, and everything to do with what corporations think rock should stand for. popularity has nothing to do with it.

they sucked when i told them they sucked after they begged for an encore in some dingy Vancouver bar near the airport in the mid-1990s, and they still suck.

jw

i second that, nickelback does suck.....

if you want good, current rock....see: Black Keys, Gary Clark Jr. and anything that Jack White attaches his name and talents to

I work in the area, and once or twice a year I have some vendor who insists on going there. The food sucks, is overpriced, and the service is usually bad. It hasn't changed in 15 years. This is coming from a guy who doesn't excellent have high standards when it comes to restaurants.

My wife visited Buffalo for the first time for the opener. It was a place we had to go. Personally I realy enjoyed the place, hadn't been since the early 80's. Wings were good, beef on weck was very good (to my tastes).

I love hot wings, I can do suicide, but feel as though I shouldnt have to eat suicide wings to get some flavor...and by bland I dont mean "not hot enough", I mean not "flavorful enough" - I know that duffs uses an insane amount of butter in their sauce, and have a feeling thats probably one of the missing ingredients (well not misisng, but much less of) to Anchor bar.....

Duffs is definately "wing soup" but the sauce is soooo good why not put more in there (plus, you can dip your fries up in there...mmmmmm)

mannnn I need Duffs ASAP now

That's what I like about the suicide.....not stupid hot, but has lots of flavor. Their suicide is nice and thick and there's always plenty on the tray to dip your fries in. I always have a couple of gallons on hand at home and when you pour it from the jug, it comes out in clumps not a watery mess. Mmmmmm.

Edited by thebug

jw

How can that group be popular? Not that their name pops up much, but I have yet too meet a single person who admits they like them.

They're ridiculed all the time by comedians.

How can that group be popular? Not that their name pops up much, but I have yet too meet a single person who admits they like them.

And yet they have sold more than 50 million cds???

youths who are outcasts in high school/their parents dont like them or pay enough attention to them

Hope it does better than the ones in Rochester.

Anchor bar is a must visit to pay homage, but you don't need to go back as others are vastly superior. And you certianly don't need to go to a franchise.

I thought the one in Rochester wasn't affiliated with the one in Buffalo.