Colin Powell endorsement

It's hard to see why anyone would endorse Obama based on the job he's done.

Powell's speech to the U.N.

http://www.cnn.com/2...ell.transcript/

Colin Powell resigned in 2004, long before he knew the black guy was going to run for president. He resigned over disagreements over the foreign policy by the Bush administration. His ongoing issues with Bush & Cheney were well documented. Was he wrong in his UN speech? Possibly... but he was also on record as saying that he was misled abou WMDs. He did, eventually act on his conscience. This attempt to say that his endorsement of Obama is racially motivated is kind of shamful, if you ask me.

But, you didn't ask....

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya Powell was pissed there were things he was not told about that raised serious concerns about the credibility of the evidence including one informant who was basically a known liar that was being relied on heavily since his info was what they wanted. Kofi Annan (a friend of Powell) wrote that in his view they basically used him for his credibility then tossed him off when things got going in terms of his involvement. Obviously he then left. Powell not a big fan of neo-con war machine for obvious reasons.

Your post suggests he lied under 'orders.'

Didn't he? He was fed BS by the neo-cons who were leading Bush W around on a leash.

So asking someone if they think race might play some role in the endorsement now equals racism?? Wow. Obama got what, 96% - 97% of the black vote last time but the racism is in pointing it out? Cute of PTR to feign ignorance for effect though. I should have known better than to attempt to engage him on anything but a mud-slinging level.

If people want to vote for the guy or against the guy because he's black (or Mormon) that's fine with me; but let's not pretend reality doesn't exist.

And you suggest that black people never vote in their interest, just race? Maybe they feel like Romney has it in for them?

He was Secretary of State at the time.

Okay, so that is different how? He still follows orders.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Didn't he? He was fed BS by the neo-cons who were leading Bush W around on a leash.

And you suggest that black people never vote in their interest, just race? Maybe they feel like Romney has it in for them?

Okay, so that is different how? He still follows orders.

PTR

So, you are celebrating the endorsement of someone who would lie under orders to take us to war?

So asking someone if they think race might play some role in the endorsement now equals racism?? Wow. Obama got what, 96% - 97% of the black vote last time but the racism is in pointing it out? Cute of PTR to feign ignorance for effect though. I should have known better than to attempt to engage him on anything but a mud-slinging level.

If people want to vote for the guy or against the guy because he's black (or Mormon) that's fine with me; but let's not pretend reality doesn't exist.

KD... we can only pretend it exists when black people endorse/vote for a black candidate...but if white people vote for a white candidate it really isn't an issue? Reality does exist, as you point out (I like that!)... we all know that racism exists. However, in this case, we aren't talking about one of the faceless 96-97% of black voters...we are talking about a five-star Genral, and former Secretary of State under the previous Republican administration, endorsing a Democratic incumbant president, on the basis that he beleives his foreign policy is more sound than what his Republican challanger is piecing together his foreign policy to be.

If Powell didn't lie, who did?

I would think, at this point, with all the crud you post about the Obam administration, you would be familiar with the concept of piecing together facts that you want to be factual, to reach a conclusion that you want to reach, while leaving anything coutner to that conclusion out of the equation?

Edited by Buftex

In terms of the word "lie"...probably nobody. The groupthink steered them wrong...probably one of the reasons why Powell doesn't trust that group with power anymore.

So, you were never one of the people shouting "Bush lied, people died"?

KD... we can only pretend it exists when black people endorse/vote for a black candidate...but if white people vote for a white candidate it really isn't an issue? Reality does exist, as you point out (I like that!)... we all know that racism exists. However, in this case, we aren't talking about one of the faceless 96-97% of black voters...we are talking about a five-star Genral, and former Secretary of State under the previous Republican administration, endorsing a Democratic incumbant president, on the basis that he beleives his foreign policy is more sound than what his Republican challanger is piecing together his foreign policy to be.

I would think, at this point, with all the crud you post about the Obam administration, you would be familiar with the concept of piecing together facts that you want to be factual, to reach a conclusion that you want to reach, while leaving anything coutner to that conclusion out of the equation?

Honestly is says it right there in the interview. He has disagreements and doesn't feel he trusts some of the voices that would be in Romney's ear...and he sees the inconsistency not just in the debate but along the campaign as Romeny seems to adjust on the fly as his advisers come on board and give him different advice.

Long story short, he's not a fan of crowd advising Romney, and he sees Romney as a guy who will be influenced by that crowd much in the way Bush was.

So, you were never one of the people shouting "Bush lied, people died"?

Of course not

In terms of the word "lie"...probably nobody. The groupthink steered them wrong...probably one of the reasons why Powell doesn't trust that group with power anymore.

That's a more logical conclusion. A write up on Powell's book. http://www.huffingto..._n_1503592.html The debate on the intel can go on forever. The assertion that Powell lied under 'orders' is false. An excerpt below:

All in all, Powell acknowledges that the speech was “one of my most momentous failures, the one with the widest-ranging impact.” But he also concludes that “every senior U.S. official would have made the exact same case,”

He adds: “I get mad when bloggers accuse me of lying -- of knowing the information was false. I didn’t.

Edited by BillsFanM.D.

Honestly is says it right there in the interview. He has disagreements and doesn't feel he trusts some of the voices that would be in Romney's ear...and he sees the inconsistency not just in the debate but along the campaign as Romeny seems to adjust on the fly as his advisers come on board and give him different advice.

Long story short, he's not a fan of crowd advising Romney, and he sees Romney as a guy who will be influenced by that crowd much in the way Bush was.

Of course not

C'mon now, you were at least thinking it, eh?

Who says we only pretend it exists when black people endorse a black candidate? I am quite sure there are millions of people who won't vote for Obama because he's black (there was plenty of coverage of that in 2008), but last I checked 96% of white people weren't polling for Romney.

Of course it's noteworthy to have someone of Powell's stature endorse the candidate from the other party, which is why I think it's a reasonable question to ask if race bears any part of that endorsement. It's not like he was forced to make a public call; he had the option to keep his opinions to himself like most other retired politicians.