Golisano interview on the Bills & ownership

Tom Golisano Would Look At Participation In Buying The Bills If The Team Was Ever In Danger Of Leaving WNY.

CLARENCE, N.Y. ( WBBZ.TV) In an exclusive interview on the WBBZ-TV program “Political Buzz,” the billionaire owner of the Rochester based Paychex Company talked about the potential he could be an owner of the Buffalo Bills someday.

Tom Golisano said, “I don’t think anybody knows for sure that this team is going to be for sale, or available. I would assume Mr. Wilson is a very smart individual…and I don’t think he would get himself in a situation where it would be a forced sale. Now if it did happen, and the team was in danger of leaving, I have said that I would do what I could to participate, not a commitment, but I would certainly look at it because I realize how important this franchise is to this community, just like the Sabres…I would hate to see the Buffalo Bills leave Buffalo, so whatever I could do that was logical and realistic, I would participate.”

Golisano’s political advisor Steve Pigeon appeared on the program as co-host with John Di Sciullo. Mr. Golisano discussed how Steve brought the idea to him to purchase the Buffalo Sabres hockey team in 2003, which he eventually sold to Terry Pegula in 2011. Golisano said he rejected a more lucrative offer that would have seen the team move out of Western New York.

Golisano discussed his latest political initiative in advancing passage of the National Popular Vote Bill. In an online video aired on the program, Golisano explained his mission to guarantee the Presidency to the candidate who receives the most popular votes in the entire U.S. The bill preserves the Electoral College, while ensuring every vote in every state will matter in every Presidential election. The website he created is www.nationalpopularvote.com.

When asked if there was a personal connection to his philanthropic work, Golisano offered a rare personal revelation that he has a son who is developmentally challenged as the reason his B. Thomas Golisano Foundation started in 1985 with a donation helping those with developmental disabilities.

Mr. Golisano said, “There is a personal connection, and I don’t talk about it much. I do have a son who is developmentally disabled. Steven lives in Rochester, works in a sheltered workshop, and lives in a mini group home with a set of house parents. Steven is 47 now, and with that connection you become very connected about the world of intellectual and developmental disabilities, so I started the foundation, that over the years has grown to give out significant amounts of money.”

Pigeon commented that the B. Thomas Golisano Foundation has donated over $200 million dollars to charities in Rochester, Buffalo, Niagara Falls, and Florida.

Golisano left Rochester in 2009 and relocated to Florida citing the high tax rates in New York State. He commented that the money he has saved in paying taxes has been donated to worthy causes.

The exclusive hour long interview with Tom Golisano aired Thursday night at 6:30p.m.on the WBBZ-TV program “Political Buzz,” and can be seen again Friday morning at 9:00 a.m. as well as Sunday morning at 10:00 a.m. on Your Hometown Television Station,

WBBZ-TV is on Time Warner Cable Ch. 5 in Buffalo/Niagara Falls (HD 710); TWC Ch. 99 in Dunkirk; TWC Ch. 21 in Olean; Ch. 5 on Verizon FiOS (HD 505); Ch. 5 on Dish Network; Ch. 67 on DirecTV ( where available) and Ch. 67.1 over the air. WBBZ-TV is locally owned and operated by Phil Arno. Bob Koshinski is Vice President and General Manager.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnUvy-17BHQ

Edited by \GoBillsInDallas/

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been said before by Tommy. Many people thought that's why he sold the Sabres. So that he could roll that money into the Bills. There was an interview years ago where he said the se thing. He loves the community. Will do what he can to ensure they stay in the community whatever that might involve. It came out that he requested a talk with Ralph about the team as well. Also at a similar time that much of the Jim Kelly talks were out and about. I have no doubt in my mind that Tommy is one of Kelly's backers. Or could be counted on if Jim needed it. He wasn't the greatest owner of the Sabres that's for sure, but he sure did save them in Buffalo. I have no doubts he would and could do that with the Bills as well.

This is going to be very interesting if Ralph doesn't have a plan in place. Very interested to see how fast the frenzy for ownership starts, stops and where it will lead. Life as a fan would be so much more normal and comforting knowing that even though this team sucks right now there is always another year. Burns me that Detroit and Cleveland have futures to look forward to and here we are speculating.

in a bid to provide perspective, so not to fan the flames one way or another, there is nothing new here. Tom Golisano simply repeated what he's said numerous times, and the fact that his comments were included in yet another press release and posted on video simply shows that WBBZ is covering stories that have been covered.

as so-called 'exclusives' go, this is well, repetitive at best, much like what they got out of their interview out of Jim Kelly.

jw

please note the words: "not a commitment."

Edited by john wawrow

Bear in mind that Golisano was never very passionate about hockey, so expecting him to pour his heart and soul and resources fully into the Sabres was unrealistic. Still, he did a decent job as their owner - they routinely spent closer to the cap max than the cap floor if memory serves, made two final four appearances, and won their division twice.

I wonder how big of a football fan he is.

Edited by Barry Zuckerkorn

I will be forever grateful to Golisano for taking the Sabres when they were a mess, and steadying the ship. I like that he is (seemingly) committed to the WNY area. I must admit however, the idea of Terry Pegula excites me a little more. I know he has only thrown money at the Sabres so far, with little to show, but the fact that he seems like a big sports fan is appealing to me. And, all those billions don't hurt either!