Worst Regular Season Losses Ever

For me, as a veteran Bills fan (47 years), this ranks as one of the worst regular season losses ever. Blowouts are blowouts, but when you actually have a game you should win and don't, it's much harder to take.

I rank the Tennessee loss right up there with the losses to the Jaguars in week 1 of 2004 (Nate Clements tried to intercept a 4th down pass that he only needed to knock down, and it fell into the hands of the receiver on a last minute game-winning Jags drive) and the loss to Pittsburgh's third stringers in the last game of that same season (where a win by Buffalo would have given them a 10-6 record and a playoff berth). We didn't know how good we had it back then. According to Football Outsiders, who has tracked every play in the NFL since the early 1990s, the 2004 Bills are statistically the best NFL team (in their record-keeping history) to have failed to qualify for the playoffs.

When was the last time anyone feared the Bills when they got the ball late in the game?

Why do we care about making the playoffs when we know that a Bills playoff game would be another 45-3 laugher for some lucky team?

Edited by PrestonRidlehuber

yeah this loss was bad.

what was worse for me was the alarming lack of excitement i had going into it.

3 years ago, i used to be pumped to watch the bills, and that was when we were 0-6, 0-7, 0-8... it just seemed like a young team, fighting, scrapping, getting better every week. going into the next season (last season) on a 4-4 streak to finish the season after going 0-8... anything seemed possible.

that 5-2 start didnt seem like a fluke, it felt like the bills had arrived.

and it was easy going into this year to say "well, injuries derailed us last year--fitz was injured, freddy, our o line... hell, stevie even battled an injury for most of last year." not to mention the talent we acquired on the defensive side of the ball. we looked like a young team, loaded with talent, and a proven defensive coordinator (ouch.)

even after week 1, i felt like we were going in the right direction, and those week 2 and 3 wins over kansas city and cleveland really had me believing. we looked like a team that was going in the right direction--the playoffs. but at some point in that san francisco game... i lost "it." and that point was chandlers fumble at the end of the first half, to put san fran up 14-3, instead of us taking a knee to go into the half down 7-3, getting the ball back.

that just felt like the proverbial "heads need to roll" moment... and no heads rolled.

ever since then, ive had MORE fun scanning espn.com, buffalorumblings.com and our front page to see if either a) wanny has been fired, b) fitzy has been benched, or c) chan has been canned. but nothing has happened.

in arizona, the offense was pathetic. i watched the game, but i truly expected fitz to be pulled. nothing.

now tennessee - i 100% expected wanny to be fired yesterday. but nothing.

so now, we have 2 weeks off, then travel across the country to play houston... and it feels like a loss already. so its very hard to get excited about bills football right now. very hard. 9 games left, were half a game out of a wild card, and anything is possible, and i know a win in one of our next 2 games will have me "billieving" again. but even as the wheels were coming off last year, they were a more fun team to watch than this.

I think this one ranks up there pretty high for me...but only because it's recent and we're still stuck in playoff futility. I'm sure I could come up with some others that are pretty bad - the OP mentioned the 2004 Pittsburgh loss (they actually had a lead in the 4th quarter, too) - but there was the "Just give it to 'em" game at Foxboro that will always stick in my craw.

I also think you could ask this of all fans and they'll find some games. It happens to every team.

Edited by BuffaloWings

Worst loss ever? Hardly. How about Dallas Monday night? Patriots "just give it to 'em" game? Dolphins in Miami blowing a 21-0 lead? This game was typical.

PTR

The first two you mentioned always jump immediately to mind. I don't get depressed over football games but that NE game stuck with me.

I think this game is similar because it's a game we should have won, were winning, and then choked; and it wasn't just a lost of this game, but pretty much confirmed that the season's over. This one was bad.

I disagree. Many years ago with Bledsoe on a 6 game win streak the Steelers rolled into Buffalo having clinched a playoff spot who played their 2nd and 3rd stringers. They KILLED the Bills.

That loss is much worse that a one point defeat this Sunday. Hell, just losing to the Dullfins these past few years has been worse.

For me, as a veteran Bills fan (47 years), this ranks as one of the worst regular season losses ever.

I've been watching Bills games about as long as you have...started as a toddler with my grandpa on a grainy black and white TV or in the Rockpile.

Memory is a funny thing, but I really can't remember game after game where our D was this bad....the occasional blowout, yes but not overall.

Okay, i usuaaly do not post in these threads, but there is a general fallacy about hat Pittsburgh game. It was not win and in, it was win and have the Jets lose. Jets werevplaying St Louis in St Louis that day...game wnt to OT but more important was and once Herm saw the Bills lost he yanked his starters and his whole strategy on the game dhanged. Does not excuse the Bills losing, but that needs to be set staight..

I still remember a game in 82, strike year where they played 9 games I think. Bills went to a historically bad Tampa team, and lost on a Rosie Leaks fumble in the 4 th quarter, missing the playoffs by a game, and that was the end of the Knox era.

I disagree. Many years ago with Bledsoe on a 6 game win streak the Steelers rolled into Buffalo having clinched a playoff spot who played their 2nd and 3rd stringers. They KILLED the Bills.

That loss is much worse that a one point defeat this Sunday. Hell, just losing to the Dullfins these past few years has been worse.

Yeah... what a bunch of 'Mularky' that was. :bag:

Seriously, I agree. That was my instant thought when I read the question. Playoffs on the line...and we got smoked by Pittsburgh's scrubs.

Q: What's the difference between the Buffalo Bills and the dollar bill?

A: You can still get four quarters out of a dollar bill.

hahahaha but that hurts my fandom. so with Buffalo we get 2 quarters and about 3-4 wooden nickles, my grandpa told me to never take wooden nickles.........

Or how about Home Run Throw Forward!!! DAMN YOU Tennessee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Bills had the Pats down with minutes to go - the Putz Kick / Punt and Roscoe fumbles it , the Putz recover and score - game over Putz win!!!

So many games other that this weeks

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

For me, as a veteran Bills fan (47 years), this ranks as one of the worst regular season losses ever. Blowouts are blowouts, but when you actually have a game you should win and don't, it's much harder to take.

I rank the Tennessee loss right up there with the losses to the Jaguars in week 1 of 2004 (Nate Clements tried to intercept a 4th down pass that he only needed to knock down, and it fell into the hands of the receiver on a last minute game-winning Jags drive) and the loss to Pittsburgh's third stringers in the last game of that same season (where a win by Buffalo would have given them a 10-6 record and a playoff berth). We didn't know how good we had it back then. According to Football Outsiders, who has tracked every play in the NFL since the early 1990s, the 2004 Bills are statistically the best NFL team (in their record-keeping history) to have failed to qualify for the playoffs.

When was the last time anyone feared the Bills when they got the ball late in the game?

Why do we care about making the playoffs when we know that a Bills playoff game would be another 45-3 laugher for some lucky team?

I think we are all in extreme fear when:

a). The Bills have the ball late in the game.

b). The Bills don't have the ball late in the game.

I can't believe people don't think the Bills strike fear on Sundays! There is a lot of fear going on.

:flirt:

Edited by Cville Bills

Along with the Monday night loss to Dallas, a game I never recovered from,

there was J.P. Losman fumbling a game away to New York with less than two minutes to go

when he tried to throw it while getting sacked.

This Dallas Game yea had me in a funk for about 3 days.....

Scott Norwoods wide right in Super Bowl 25 had me in tears, never will forget how my whole family was after that game.