Whose fault is it really?

Ronin

Think about it.

Everyone's mindboggled and upset about how the team is playing, but whose fault is it to have BILL-ieved that Nix, Gailey, Fitzpatrick, Mario, and other players would do things that they've never ever done?

Take Nix, he was in scouting for crying out loud, and his career there was spotty and nebulous to say the least. He was never a GM. Anathema to anyone that pointed that out to the next god and "Bill Polian" of the team at the time of his hiring. Now it's chic to complain about him.

What about Gailey? He coached two years in the NFL nearly a decade before he was hired here, but with a QB like Aikman and Emmitt Smith in his prime still, he still couldn't manage to do much offensively in Dallas except be slightly above average before turning his team into a very average team. He got schooled twice in the playoffs there. Otherwise he'd been busy in college running a variation of an option there giving him absolutely no skills or frame-of-reference for the pro game. Then of course in KC he was horrible as an OC for a season before sitting idle after having been fired from that role.

Wannstedt, whom Gailey hired, is a whole other story. He had no serious credentials for managing a defense, another media fabrication ala Mario having been the free-agent prize, in fact he's sucked at defense. So why the contrary belief?

How about Mario? The media told everyone that he was the big defensive prize in the free agent market, but how many of you actually took a detailed look at his stats and told yourself, "something isn't matching up here." After all, for that kind of hype and money you'd expect a player that had been in the top-5 at his position, but Mario was never that. Since sacks are the big measure there, in six seasons he managed to crack the top-10 in sacks only twice. Top spots both years no doubt. Nope!

In 2006 he ranked 92nd with 4.5 sacks.

In 2007, five seasons ago, he ranked tied for 3rd with 14.

In 2008 he ranked 8th with 12.

In 2009 he ranked 17th with 9.

In 2010 he ranked 28th with 8.5.

This season he currently ranks tied for 31st and 3.5 with five other players, one of which is Dwan Edwards, a DT even, that the team just released. Is that really out of line with his history? Slightly perhaps, but hardly severely, and not far out of line with his history.

What about Aaron Williams? The stats on him were out last season, he wasn't an above average CB, so why did the team release Drayton Florence, a competent if non-stellar CB? He wasn't that pricey relatively speaking. [Note: See "Nix" above]

Powell hasn't outperformed Moorman, a fan favorite, in either net or total punting. Whose brain-baby was that? [Note: See both "Nix" and "Gailey" above]

Why all the faith in Sheppard at MLB? It should have been obvious to anyone that watched any games last season, or simply looked at the stats, that he was problematic at MLB coming into the season. So whose fault is it for not recognizing that?

If Nix and the Front Office sent coupons for free coffees at Tim Hortons, and told the season ticket holders that they were the tickets to the games, would anyone believe him? I don't know, perhaps they would. But the other things are just as obvious, assuming that one does the homework instead of trusting an organization that has a clearcut conflict of interest to lie through their teeth.

So I ask, everyone's upset with Nix now, not prior to the season even much less when he was hired, but wasn't his performance predictable? Wouldn't have he achieved the galactically amazing if he actually had done what he said he would do?

What about Gailey, why did most if not all of the media and most fans seem to think he was a good hire? ... just talked yourself into it when he was hired? Why?

Fitzpatrick's a whole other story too.

But the list goes on.

So why is everyone complaining now, and talking about boycotting the team now? Because they're simply going to go into wash, rinse, repeat mode after the season, and many of those complaining the loudest will once again BILL-ieve and chide those that see things for what they are.

The time to complain fellow fans is when the team makes stupid decisions, dresses up and puts lipstick on the pig and vanilla frosting on the pudding pop that they're about to cram down your throat if you're foolish enough to say "AHHH" when they say open wide.

This pattern is now more than clear since the '90s and is the gift that keeps on giving. Sure, it all starts with the front office, but in the same way that a lemon is presented as a creampuff on a used car lot, no one forces you to buy it, but in this case most do.

Nix was pure mystery meat as a GM and as such had a monstrously steep path in order to prove himself merely average. He was brought on as a result of the Friends and Family program that Donahoe put in place and which still exists.

Gailey was a known quantity, a failure, a coach supposedly known for his "offensive prowess," but one that underachieved with talent the likes of Emmitt and Aikman, who sucked buffalo balls in KC, and who otherwise ran an offense completely unsuited to NFL play and did so only to a level of mediocrity, average in a good season.

Mario should have been a known quantity too, especially after he got hurt last season and the team and defense in Houston didn't miss a beat without him.

These things were all known, ... but ignored.

So when assessing fault, remember, this team got what it wants this season, initial interest, several sold-out or close to sold-out games if they weren't sold-out, and renewed interest. Why should they do anything different, they've gotten this for years.

Think about it!

Then, if you're still upset, do your homework and reject anything that even remotely looks or smells like a pig with lipstick.

If you don't, then three or four seasons you'll be looking back again saying the same things. When the team doesn't get what it wants from you, then maybe something will change. Until then, why should it? Why don't the fans that have blindly supported this without doing their own homework deserve this?

Again, think about it.

Edited by TaskersGhost

It's Gailey's fault for signing backup QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to such a ridiculous deal. Fitz is not a starting NFL quarterback.

Fitz' teammates. especially on defense, know that Fitz is going to lose games. So his teammates, especially on defense, don't waste their time playing hard.

Why bother?

It's Gailey's fault for signing backup QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to such a ridiculous deal. Fitz is not a starting NFL quarterback.

Fitz' teammates. especially on defense, know that Fitz is going to lose games. So his teammates, especially on defense, don't waste their time playing hard.

Why bother?

Maybe because they are professionals, have an iota of pride, and aren't self-centered crybabies that need their mom to change their diaper? Or, maybe not...

Nix's tenure with the Bills has essentially been a reverse Midas touch to a football team. Going with the 3-4, saying Fitz can be their guy, the 2010 draft minus the first round pick, now perhaps the 2011 draft, going to the 4-3, signing Merriman, cutting Moorman, signing Mario and Anderson, trading for Tarvaris Jackson to sit him. Goodness, I could go on and on, but the trend continues this season.

BTW, Donahoe was 31-49 or .388 in 5 seasons, Marv/DJ/Brandon from 06-09 were 27-37 or .422 in 4 seasons. Gailey and Nix 39 games are 13-26 for a .333 winning percentage. They've gone from mediocre to bad and this rebuild has failed.

The fault falls on the hands of the coach. It always has and always will. I find it extremely hard that a guy who sits in a bar and watches the game can call the defense being used. I'm not stating that I know all by any stretch because I don't but calling what you see is mind blowing. The Bills defense is an extremely big problem and it falls on Chan. His play calling on offense is one to be questioned a bit as well but to put up 34 points and still not win falls on the other side of the ball. Why and how does the right side of the defense seem to give up all that yardage? Who is missing the lane to stop that? Is it Kelsey or Barnett? How could the Titans get a few 4th down plays to win the game? If Dave is not fired then I give up on the season. This is why:

Dave has always had a great defense but times have passed him by. He no longer has a grip on what todays game is about. The defense is not aggressive enough and they give up the big play way too much. "They" say it was a few players off so they go get Mario. Yes Mario is not coming through but it's not him. It's the style in which the game is played. Take the Saints this year. They lost the coach for a year and the Saints look like the old Aints. The team falls around and follows the coach and their style. When you have no OOMPH.... then it falls on the coaching. Their not pumping the team up enough and getting them prepared to play. When you play flat you get beat. They need to give the players something to BILLIEVE in and that's not happening at all.

When Fitz gives up the ball the Bills are 0-4. When he doesn't they are 3-0. Say what you will but Fitz must go. He does not have what it takes and is a great guy and a decent player but doesn't have the drive to keep things alive. He just doesn't have the it factor and if Chan feels he does then why does he choke? Coach Bill C. said it best after the game, "Fitz just drives you crazy because at times he shows what it takes to be good and others he just does things that make you wonder".

I know this isn't war but would you want a general leading you that might put you in a death situation? I feel he lost this team and they want to BILLIEVE but deep inside they know he just doesn't have it. I'm not saying he's a bad guy but the proof is in the pudding guys.

I think we have a better team on paper than our performances suggest. So to me, it's really the coaching staff. Mostly the defensive side. The offensive side a little (hello 3 minute play calling? run the ball!).

I think Nix has gotten some pretty decent pieces, so I'm not overly offended by him.

Chan has run a relatively productive offense with absolute crap besides two running backs.

Wanny has run a really ****ty defense with arguably a good (on paper) Defensive line, and an average (on paper) LB and DB corps.

Reality is, no matter who we get, no matter who they are, the Bills won't win. Ever.

It all started with the holding call on Pears, then the terrible play call and INT, then the failure to blitz Hasselbeck on the final series. Up until that we were going to win.

But overall I can't begin to fathom what is going wrong with the Bills. They are getting worse. Is Chan an alky? Is Dareus still busted up over his brother? Did David Lee make Fitz even worse than before? Is Mario's performance dragging everyone down? How did Wanny get the rep as a good DC?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

It all started with the holding call on Pears, then the terrible play call and INT, then the failure to blitz Hasselbeck on the final series. Up until that we were going to win.

But overall I can't begin to fathom what is going wrong with the Bills. They are getting worse. Is Chan an alky? Is Dareus still busted up over his brother? Did David Lee make Fitz even worse than before? Is Mario's performance dragging everyone down? How did Wanny get the rep as a good DC?

PTR

Wow, things must be really bad!

Leading up to the season, I can recall you sarcastically asking more than one poster, "what makes you think this team has gotten worse?" when they predicted less than 6 wins for the 2012 Bills.

Edited by kidprison

Wow, things must be really bad!

Leading up to the season, I can recall you sarcastically asking more than one poster, "what makes you think this team has gotten worse?" when they predicted less than 6 wins for the 2012 Bills.

If the president, and CEO of the Mega-Mind fan club starts worrying, this team is truly dying a slow death.

How did Wanny get the rep as a good DC?

He really didn't. It was just in here and maybe BS spewed by OBD. He sucked as a HC which means he cannot game plan which has shown to be true as a DC as well.

Thinking WannaStache is a good DC is only due to Billieving and really REALLY wanting it to be true..